Vauxhall Senator 24v promo video 1990

Dan302

I absolutely love the senator. The biggest regret I have in life is selling my low mileage 24v back in 2011 for £600. I made £150 on it. It was beautiful, but being a typical Vauxhall it hurt my back to drive. Unlike the carltons, which don’t. Odd. Would own again. Couldn’t afford now though. 

I loved my 24v Senator. Had an identical one as a spares car, but never needed any spares so it just sat on the drive and rotted.

Had a lump in my throat when both of them went on the back of a truck, with a HIAB on the roof to hold them down on the way to the scrappy.

Due to the serious tinworm, I literally could not give them away at the time. 

They were both the same colour as the one in the video as it happens. 

Thanks for sharing. I love that vid, such a different approach to marketing it back then. I presume the presenter was a bit of a voice over king? I recognise his voice so presumably earned some coin back in the 80s/90s on adverts?

I love them. My dad almost bought an early 2.5 in about 1994, and the closest I’ve been was a white 24v which think was a manual?advertised on retro rides in 2007. It had been a police car, apparently.

2 hours ago, HMC said:

Thanks for sharing. I love that vid, such a different approach to marketing it back then. I presume the presenter was a bit of a voice over king? I recognise his voice so presumably earned some coin back in the 80s/90s on adverts?

It's the late actor Tony Britton. Most famous probably to most people as being Richard O Sullivans father in law in Robins Nest and also Nigel Havers father in the sitcom Don't Wait up.  He was the TV presenter Fern Brittons dad and he did indeed voice a lot of TV ads back in the day. He had a good innings in life and finally left us back in 2019 at the grand old age of 95 - and outlived the majority of UK registered Senators! 

2 hours ago, Bren said:

I liked mine save for the lack of performance.

The availability of spares would put me off owning one nowadays.

To be fair, most parts are available. I’ve just bought a heater matrix and water pump no problem and all service parts are easy to get and there’s plenty of parts on eBay. Problem bits seem to be colour specific trim parts (mine is blue) and rear ABS sensors. A lot of parts are available new from Germany, except the rear ABS sensors, which many places list, until you order and they then refund you. Ask me how I know☹️

15 minutes ago, Wibble said:

To be fair, most parts are available. I’ve just bought a heater matrix and water pump no problem and all service parts are easy to get and there’s plenty of parts on eBay. Problem bits seem to be colour specific trim parts (mine is blue) and rear ABS sensors. A lot of parts are available new from Germany, except the rear ABS sensors, which many places list, until you order and they then refund you. Ask me how I know☹️

I'm still waiting for my guy to get back to me, he told me has was going to check last weekend...

18 minutes ago, Wibble said:

When I had mine in the 90's panels and trim were getting hard to source.