Shiteing in Stockport. Paolo's fleet.

paolodivichio

Hello everyone,

Thought I'd start a thread to introduce myself and my car history, and to record the work that I'm doing on the fleet.

My first car was a white Citroen Saxo 1.1, which like all good teenagers I promptly wrote off 3 weeks after passing my test! I liked it though, so I went out and got myself another one, this time in red. I had a lot of adventures in this car, driving all over England, and one summer to Switzerland and the Nurburgring (although we didn't actually get to take it round ☹️) It was a proper base autoshite spec too, it didn't even have a rev counter, I had to make do with a clock instead! It was this car that taught me a lot about driving, and fixing cars. The first job I ever did was to change the front brake pads (with a friend who knew what they were doing!). By the time I sold it I had replaced all the suspension and could do services and timing belt changes all on my own 😁

P1000101.thumb.JPG.445ad35119d9fca6e6536c8b0153f4d1.JPG

I kept the Saxo for 4 years and then bought an Alfa 159, which at the time was only 4 years old and was a properly nice car. Gorgeous Italian looks but not so gorgeous Italian reliability! I enjoyed owning it, but it had silly issues, like the steering rack seals exploding because Alfa put the wrong fluid in at the factory, or the timing chain jumping a tooth because Alfa made the guides out of cheese. After 12 months I ended up swapping the Alfa for my mini, because I was fed up with modern cars - admittedly maybe I shouldn't have bought an Alfa though! DSC01492.thumb.JPG.44ba41e8c11b6685a97670647a38db4b.JPG

I went back to shedding it and got a little Rover 25 for day to day duties while I saved up for a house deposit. This is actually my best car ever to date. It only cost me £1600 over 5 years and 50k miles in purchase and maintenance costs, including 2 sets of tyres and the requisite k series head gasket. Although I did all this work myself, so saved a fortune in labour charges!574486_10151587375140029_1926929386_n.thumb.jpg.b3d8b196cd7c0d236d17b8c167eca0aa.jpg 

Once I had bought my house though I was getting a little bored with the Rover when a Volvo 960 came up for sale at the mini club I'm involved in. It was cheap but high miles, so I took a gamble on it. It lasted 12 months before the head gasket expired at Knutsford on the M6, but I liked it a lot more than I thought I would, and when I realised the engine was totally f*cked (the head was shaped like a banana) I decided I'd just buy another one, but one with lower miles and better condition. Which brings us to the current Volvo 960. 

At the same time my wife was learning to drive so we got her a Ford Puma, something she's always liked. I didn't expect to like it to be honest, I thought it was just style over substance, but with the 1.7 engine it was properly grin inducing. Its actually very like a modern version of a mini - not that quick in a straight line, but very chuckable and handles brilliantly in the corners. Oh yes and they rust like a mini too! We kept it as long as we could, but just before a house move the rear arches started to disintegrate. Not just the outer bit either but the actual structure. At that point we decided to get something more sensible with 5 doors, and got the MG ZR. Its the 1.8 vvc engine with 160 bhp because my wife seemingly won't tolerate slow cars...IMG_20210128_124338.thumb.jpg.04c62fc07b0a93a63ba07c83e6d0ea42.jpg

So that's the history. Ill update this soon with the latest job I'm doing which is fixing a horrendous oil leak on the MG, and I can introduce the current fleet too :)

So the current fleet is the Volvo, MG and mini.

The Volvo is the reliable daily driver. Its powerful, but not very quick because of the slushmatic gearbox, but that's ok, it get going and is a comfy cruiser, ideal for the journey to work or long trips down to the south coast where we have family. Nothing much has gone wrong with it since I got it, although I have had to do the head gasket on it, because it started leaking coolant out the side of the engine. No actual OMGHGF so no overheating or anything :-) My plan this year is to do some work on the suspension, because although it doesn't actually need doing, its getting quite tired, with 145k miles on it now.

DSC_0370.thumb.JPG.4c8eae257bd8621e9b6b76ac59ce162a.JPG

The mini is my  "toy" car. I use it a lot in summer but keep it off the road over winter when salt is around to try and preserve it a bit longer. Over 2019-20 it underwent a full rebuild of the body with most of it replaced! It was very close to being reshelled. I didn't do this work myself, I am rubbish at welding and painting! but while it was in the bodyshop I rebuilt the subframes with the brakes and suspension. The original plan was to rebuild the engine and gearbox at the same time, but I ran out of money, so that will have to wait another couple of years while I save up again!

mini.thumb.jpg.faf12ff129711215c2dff163cb2f62b0.jpg

The MG is my wife's car, we have only had this one a year and it has been a lot better than I expected in fairness. It runs really well and is quick when you push it. There's a bit of rust starting around wheel arches but the floor and structure are totally solid, so fingers crossed I can keep on top of that! The main issue I have right now is a huge oil leak, which turned out to be the crankshaft seal. Given where it is, and the fact I have very little history I decided to change the timing bet and water pump at the same time. And that is where the fun started... 

IMG_20210408_150554.thumb.jpg.a05ae8465eeac69016341f51b609f0c7.jpg

The tensioner bolt is completely seized in the block... and in my cack handed efforts to remove it I have rounded it out. It was an 8mm hex but its now an 8mm round hole 😕 does anyone have any ideas how to get this out? So far I have tried hammering a torx bit in, hammering a 12 point socket over it, lots and lots of penetrating oil and heating it with a blowtorch. Nothing seems to move it, not even a bit :-( Part of the issue is that there's no room to hit it with a hammer of get anything round the outside of it. In the pictures you can see how little room there is. Ideas are welcome! 

IMG_20220320_113952980.thumb.jpg.aa9cd74ad4579fbac62aa7309c7ec848.jpg

IMG_20220320_114011291.thumb.jpg.3039533e33fbfedcb0f2f5ccd2ae97a4.jpg

You’d probably have more chance hammering in a slightly oversized spline bit rather than a torx, assuming you can jack up the engine far enough to get a swing on the hammer.

If not, perhaps an Irwin socket if it’s not too thick a wall to fit between the inner pulley wall and the head of the bolt. If it is, grinder time?

23 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

Can a socket for damaged bolt heads be used? like the one in the picture below. I have used these before on regular bolts and they have teeth that allow them to grip the rounded bolt head and make it possible to loosen them.

Perhaps, I do have a set but the head of the stuck bolt is in between sizes, so its either too loose or there's no way it will hammer on. Maybe I need to buy another socket that's in between... 

13 minutes ago, dozeydustman said:

Wondering if you could sacrifice the tensioner with a cutting disc (if indeed there is room) leaving the bolt intact for better application of penetration fluid.

Halfrauds have for around a tenner a set of allen head extractors. Worth the investment?

I had seen those but they only go up to 6mm and this is 8mm 😕 however googleing has led me to a set which goes up to  10mm on ebay, So I think that's my answer! Thank you! 🙂

I don't mind cutting the tensioner as I have a new one already, I just don't have any tools that can fit into the gap at the side of the engine.

1 hour ago, Minimad5 said:

Can you get any heat onto the bolt, I'm wondering if it has thread lock applied.

And try an imperial Allen key - Might just find one that fits good enough

I have tried these already ☹️It's hard to get a lot of heat on it because of the access, I think the pulley soaked up most of the heat to be honest because now it doesn't spin very freely! Another reason I now have to get this bolt out lol!

4 hours ago, 3VOM said:

We tend to go to the "Northern Powerhouse" meets, usually in Glossop.

1 hour ago, paolodivichio said:

It would definitely be good to meet up with some of you, Glossops only down the road or can meet around Stockport 😊

Glossop isn't a million miles away, I'm in Huddersfield but used to live Prestwich direction. We should have a northern meet... 

Small update to the stuck bolt saga. After trying various ideas and techniques the bolt was still stuck and the hole was getting rounder and rounder. I realised that it was bolted into the head, so I have now removed the head so I can drill it out properly and get on with the job. Slightly extreme but needs must! And looking at the MGR forums I'm not the first person who's had to do a head gasket just to remove the tensioner on a k series VVC - they are different to a non VVC tensioner. Given it is a k series lets just call it a pre-emptive OMGHGF change 😁

MicrosoftTeams-image.thumb.png.23ffd9bb28861ec3bc6dbd017b7dd4cb.pngMicrosoftTeams-image2.thumb.png.75f0d7c24950cadbeb45ae1958e307f8.png7

Hopefully tonight I will finally drill this thing out. This job was meant to take a weekend, that was 3 weeks ago 😒

On 3/22/2022 at 11:59 AM, 3VOM said:

We tend to go to the "Northern Powerhouse" meets, usually in Glossop.

Yes, we need to get this back up to speed. 
First Tuesday night of the month from 7 til late at the Smithy Fold in Glossop, parking in the market car park over the road as it's free after 6 and easier to get a space, and easier to stand around talking about cars. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the MG back together and running this week. After a slight mishap getting the timing aligned it now runs smoothly and lovely. Taken it for a run round locally and all the fluids stayed where they should so I'm calling this one a success - finally! Next stop is MOT time. I need to take a look at the handbrake before I put it in though as it feels like it is only working on one wheel. Oddly this issue has come and gone over the 12 months we have had the car, so I suspect something just needs some grease on it or adjustment somewhere.

IMG_20220404_192930632.thumb.jpg.e0b7811e47b0cf9e5d00d2247fb79001.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

MG MOT has been achieved last week, but forgot to update the thread. Had to replace both rear calipers unfortunately, not quite sure what was wrong with them but one didn't work on the handbrake, and the other didn't work on the footbrake!

Anyway, with those replaced it passed with no advisories, which isnt bad for a 19 year old mg! Also very satisfying after putting in so mich work to fix all the silly issues over the last few weeks!

IMG-20220414-WA0000.jpg

On 28/03/2022 at 11:11,  paolodivichio said: 

I realised that it was bolted into the head, so I have now removed the head so I can drill it out properly and get on with the job. Slightly extreme but needs must!

Reminds me of having to take a head off Mum’s V4Transit  in order to drill out an exhaust manifold stud. (So I could keep on  Learning to drive). The drill broke, there was lots of blood, a visit to casualty but I got it back together in time. Re-used the head gasket. Got to love all-iron, pushrod engines!