FoTU 2022? Completed it, M8.

Soundwave

4 hours ago, Soundwave said:

Particular highlight was being a couple of cars behind @mat_the_cat's V8 Stellar on the way home, and listening to lovely V8 noises. Then going our separate ways, and then somehow ending up in front of him on the A46. More lovely V8 noises as he overtook!

Ah, I stopped off in Melton Mowbray to have a look at the house my grandparents used to live in, so I guess that's how you got in front without noticing!

I thought I spotted you winding the window down as I passed 😀  I've just got back now, after another enjoyable drive - it really does make me grin.

A couple of photos that I took.

Here is a view of the concours area taken from the steps of the house.

20220730_130736.thumb.jpg.35f4f015551c49b0cf57915bd7c68886.jpg

But wait, do mine eyes deceive me?  There, in the foreground.

burgess.jpg.f16e81424bd8eb3c364c699debf3189e.jpg

That looks to me suspiciously like a wild @alcyonecorporation, outside of his natural habitat...

Later on as I was leaving this surprisingly tame deer watched me go, having previously checked out @dollywobbler's Ford.

20220730_174949.thumb.jpg.d54170182c4ae88af138c0a03a177499.jpg

On the subject of critters, there was also a hamster.

20220730_125953.thumb.jpg.e9d0fe0bcdc9bc5cd1b954a89aee344d.jpg

What a great day! Highlight for me was the lovely Manta A conveniently sitting on the corner of a block so it could be properly admired, and seeing the Peugeot 604 and Renault 30 drive along in convoy when I was standing close to a CX. They're the Holy Trinity I try and find on French holidays, and I managed it this year before I've even got there. Way too many other cars to list.

Also fantastic to catch up with people who I've been going to shows with for approaching 30 years in some cases, and to see the younger members of SL family + daughter's boyfriend enjoy the day. If the date works out OK next year there could be a convoy....

5 hours ago, 95 quid Peugeot said:

Admiring those unexceptional cars in the park

20220730_113058.jpg

20220730_113145.jpg

20220730_113111.jpg

If anyone is in the FOTU Facebook group I encourage you to check out the ongoing "Colin the Cayman" argument. Apparently a modern luxury sports car is "unexceptional" because it's a 1 of 2 colour? Correct me if I'm wrong but that surely makes it more desirable to the masses? I'm not joining in but I'm reaching for the popcorn...

Most of the other cars I'd put down to steward error or the driver not knowing the rules/system.  I'm sure I saw a Healey Enigma in my rear view on the way in, I wouldn't have minded that ending up in the wrong car park as I quite wanted to have a look at it! A quick scout of the modern car park didn't locate it but I did find some misdirected chod.

The Maserati MC20 confused me, it had a piece of paper on the dash saying "guest and media", I don't know why they couldn't have put it on show but somewhere else. Maybe by the toilets...?

re: modern cars

What might be an interesting addition for future years is an area for 'future unexceptionals' ie cars registered in the last 10 years that, in another 20 years time, will be the bread and butter of these events. (if we can afford fuel at £7.65 a litre, and the planned ULEZ expansion to Peterborough of 2037 doesn't materialise).

2 minutes ago, N19 said:

re: modern cars

What might be an interesting addition for future years is an area for 'future unexceptionals' ie cars registered in the last 10 years that, in another 20 years time, will be the bread and butter of these events. (if we can afford fuel at £7.65 a litre, and the planned ULEZ expansion to Peterborough of 2037 doesn't materialise).

Basically a designated car park for Dacias?

28 minutes ago, GR8 PL8 M8 said:

If anyone is in the FOTU Facebook group I encourage you to check out the ongoing "Colin the Cayman" argument. Apparently a modern luxury sports car is "unexceptional" because it's a 1 of 2 colour? Correct me if I'm wrong but that surely makes it more desirable to the masses? I'm not joining in but I'm reaching for the popcorn...

Most of the other cars I'd put down to steward error or the driver not knowing the rules/system.  I'm sure I saw a Healey Enigma in my rear view on the way in, I wouldn't have minded that ending up in the wrong car park as I quite wanted to have a look at it! A quick scout of the modern car park didn't locate it but I did find some misdirected chod.

The Maserati MC20 confused me, it had a piece of paper on the dash saying "guest and media", I don't know why they couldn't have put it on show but somewhere else. Maybe by the toilets...?

Just been reading this, truly embarrassing. The bloke not only arguing that it being apparently a rare spec combination makes it unexceptional but then tripling down on it made me want to cringe my face off. And then the barely literate owner (who is a friend of Mike Brewer in case you wanted to know) saying people are only complaining because she's a woman was the icing on the cake. That's enough secondhand embarrassment for one night.

31 minutes ago, Schaefft said:

I guess it's not particularly unexceptionable but I was surprised to see this SVX parked close to the moderns. Apparently a media/guest car. Also bonus super clean E39.

IMG_20220730_142257.jpg

IMG_20220730_142240.jpg

I suspect the E39 is also a 'media' car, I think it is Paul Garlick's, who used to be connected to Pistonheads and is probably somewhere else now after some time in the promo 'wilderness'.

Home now and knackered. I left at 5am and got home at 11.30pm with 500 miles of driving in between which makes my average speed for the entire day 27mph!

Thanks for the photos, I didn't get round to taking many and any that I did take would now be duplicates so I won't bother posting them.

1 hour ago, Schaefft said:

I guess it's not particularly unexceptionable but I was surprised to see this SVX parked close to the moderns. Apparently a media/guest car. Also bonus super clean E39.

IMG_20220730_142257.jpg

IMG_20220730_142240.jpg

Yea, that's mine. I didn't feel it was unexceptional, like the CX, various DSs, the Avantime, several Caymans and an MC20 I saw on the back field. 

The media car park could have been a weird little diversion but it was just Paul's car and mine I think. 

I made it home despite the best efforts of a ricked battery and an unhappy starter. Neither are hard or expensive to replace, eh. 

And yea, the E39 is Paul Garlick's. 

I parked there because I was told to park there [was covering the show for a mag]. 
I also backed into a sign and fell into a hedge while using said ladders, so there's also that. 

Thoroughly enjoyable day yesterday. Managed to get Captain Peacock there and back, 110 miles each way, with a dodgy leaking clutch slave cylinder (big bottle of dot4 to top up) and an equally dodgy oil leak (1/2 a litre top up each way). Plenty of interesting things to look at. Here he is in position in his magnificent Russet Brown-ness. I was very surprised to see 2 othe Princesses, especially one in the concourse!

20220730_105556.jpg