MultiEcuScan

artdjones

I thought there might be some interest in a review of MultiEcuScan, which is the Fiat version of Vagcom, Forscan, and similar software. That is, a non OE diagnostic programme that enables one to do most of what the factory diagnostic equipment does at a vastly reduced cost. It loads on a laptop, uses an ELM327 interface (some others are suitable), and for various functions on different models, colour coded adapters that switch around the pins on the obd socket. 

I got it because I needed a new speedo on my 2014 Doblo. I know that's a bit new for here, but the software covers all Fiat and Fiat Group cars for quite a way back. Anyway, I bought the Doblo back in December, and the only problem with it has been the mileage display LCD failing completely. 

My first thought was to buy as cheap a replacement as possible and swop the screen from the new cluster to the old. Unfortunately, the cheap €30 cluster I bought also had a failed LCD. Then I went to a local auto electrician with a good reputation to sort it. He plugged in a known working Ducato cluster (same plug), and the display worked. He said he'd get me a display and fit it and would give me a call next day so I could bring the van in . That was in January, and I haven't had a call yet. 

Two weeks ago I ordered a cluster from Latvia, guaranteed working, for €75. And I downloaded the very limited free version of MultiEcuScan to try out. You can simulate what you plan to do before plugging into a vehicle. I'd already bought a suitable elm interface and a set of adapters.

Two days ago I fitted the new Speedo, which worked fine except for the following:- The mileage display was flashing, and was at an incorrect mileage.22000kmIMG_20220309_161746.thumb.jpg.c9c784252b2801a44d35abe2d14dc259.jpg

Also as you can see, there was a blank temperature display, this van doesn't have an outside temperature sensor. And when you opened the right hand door it gave a warning that the left hand door was open. And vice versa.

The flashing display is something that happens when one of the various computer modules isn't talking properly to the body computer. In this case it was the instrument module, but the flashing would also occur if any other module wasn't coded in. On Fiat's this is a sign that you need to do a procedure called a Proxi Alignment. You do this in the software by communicating with the body computer, then into the adjustments tab, select Proxi Alignment procedure, and hit execute 

IMG_20220309_161936.thumb.jpg.5be190ad11c3c734f820ed0dd210f9b4.jpg

This is the screen just before starting the procedure. It took a few seconds and was a success. The unneeded temperature display disappeared, the mileage display stopped flashing, and the display now gave a warning for the correct opened door. 

Then I went into the instrument module, and wrote in the correct mileage. One good thing about this software is that it only allows you to increase the mileage in the instrument module, clocking isn't possible. Result, success.IMG_20220309_162927.thumb.jpg.2075edba0d3c1285e5cc4db797f49ce6.jpg

IMG_20220309_162949.thumb.jpg.f8c1bc481d915414659ef632b8b21aa2.jpg

Also correct door open message. I also took the opportunity to switch off the seat belt warning buzzer, which has to be one of the most annoying noises possible.

Verdict on MultiEcuScan. Very easy to use, also many other things can be done than what I've shown here, including injector and key coding. So great value for €50, as you can get charged more than that for one coding procedure. You can get cracked versions, but it's not worth it for that price, especially as most cracked software is very clunky, whereas this was completely smooth and quick. And like I said, with suitable adapters this can be used on stuff that goes back to when Fiat's started with OBD, before 2000.

IMG_20220309_162449.jpg

I just looked at how far back MultiEcuScan can go, and it does diagnostics as far back as late original model Cromas and Uno's with electronic fuel ignition. The old stuff needs a special three pin adapter so the obd plug can fit the  Fiat socket. 

Had a good experience with MES too, used it for various bits on Alfas although when an M9 came round with a 2015 Doblo van it wouldn't read it as I have the free peasant version and a lot of cars are paid.

Still compared to some its good value even for the paid version.

• 1 month later...