Fun in the bath.

red5

1 hour ago, red5 said:

As you may or may not know, I have this in the workshop.

IMG_20220309_142052682_HDR.thumb.jpg.ec47d899db7d9398d58485da5c887bd2.jpg

Here I intend to/will/may not* post various updates and so forth.

Factual mind, so if you don't like it, push off 

Why has it turned into Michael Jackson?  

(oh and well done for getting Dez out of a hole, we acknowledge the selflessness and community spirit etc.)  

4 hours ago, red5 said:

As you may or may not know, I have this in the workshop.

IMG_20220309_142052682_HDR.thumb.jpg.ec47d899db7d9398d58485da5c887bd2.jpg

Here I intend to/will/may not* post various updates and so forth.

Factual mind, so if you don't like it, push off 

Woo!

very awesome to see REV getting some much needed TLC :) 

and obviously once again many thanks for taking her on! I hope not too many of your friends and family have disowned you because of it LOL

4 hours ago, red5 said:

Fuel tank gauge is inop.

the gauge itself works (or it did at the FoD! LOL) but the wrong fuel sender has been fitted to the tank, its a veglia sender unit for a veglia fuel gauge, (of which there should be one in one of the bags that I had placed in her footwell)

however @Mrs6C does have REV's original rotten fuel tank still who's sender did work AFAIK, so perhaps you could get that correct smiths sender from Mrs6c and enable us to keep REV's original Smiths fuel gauge which would be nice!

but that is just a "would be nice thing" im happy to go with whichever setup is easier for you of course! :) 

one thing to keep in mind if you go with fitting the the veglia gauge and keep the fuel sender thats fitted,

is they where something fitted in the 1990's as post production replacement parts, and fitted across all revisions of Model 70 AFAIK

this is important to note as Pre March 1976 Model 70's did not have a voltage stabiliser/regulator while post March 1976 ones with the dashboard facelift (which is what REV is), did have one fitted

and im not sure how the veglia gauge and sender was fitted with respect to that

I do wonder if perhaps the veglia sender could be made to work with the Smiths gauge, but thats a bit outside my wheelhouse!

(as I dont know the electrical specifications of either Smiths or veglia gauges and senders!)

1 hour ago, red5 said:

Anyways, carb fun.

Spindle bush has a gap you can get a rat through, acc pump doesn't and hasn't for a long time...need a new one pref, or one that doesn't have those two things. 

Hmm. 

well that explains why I was never able to start her on the accelerator pump when I had no choke! LOL

I wonder how the carb has ended up so knackered/worn given she has only done 23K miles!

is the carb rebuildable at all? there is someone I know of who had the contract from the Ministry to rebuild/refurbish carbs back in the 1980's who still has a load of rebuild kits and parts on the shelf

but obviously the carb has to be salvageable in the first place for it to be rebuild-able and I will admit I dont know enough about carbs to know if what your saying means its FUBAR (which would be fucked up beyond all resurrection in this particular case LOL) or if there is still hope LOL

(Edit: also tagging @Zelandeth since he has had a number of these Weber 32ICS10T's in bits now!)

I have a friend who can make a 954 AX run on a brace of 48DCOE's, I see no reason why any mechanic worth his salt shouldn't be able to make this purr on just one. 

In a more serious vein, thanks for starting this thread. It must have been running like a pile of utter shit on its chip shop excursion.  I am excited to watch it come back to life & take LBF on a series of terrifying adventures. The NC500 springs to mind as a minor, but cracking  deviation on his drive back home.

3 hours ago, Talbot said:

Performance upgrade:

turbo.jpg

stick that in on the front and you might just about even out the weight distribution! LOL

16 hours ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

How big of an engine can you cram into it. 

the standard engine can be tuned and upgraded to make some silly power for what it is!

the Steyr puch engine is what Fiat 500/126 owners drop in place of their fiat cast iron lumps to get a bit more get up and go!

and indeed when Model 70's where coming off the road en-mass in 2003, I know of one bunch Austrians, flew over here and took about 20 engines and 1 complete Model 70 home with them!

and I know many others did similar around that time!

sadly its out of stock at time of writing but here is an off the shelf 762cc upgrade kit :) https://prokschi.at/puch-500-500-s-from-1968-1973/tuning/straight-shank-piston-cylinder.html

(sadly not quite a drop in fit for 493cc engines, as the main block needs to bored out a little to accept the larger diameter barrels)

On 3/10/2022 at 9:24 PM, red5 said:

Wanted, 1x sleeved down 50 dcoe and a Lynx crossover manifold....I know, remember those ..

Or...

Small bore single choke Weber or Dell'Orto. 

Somewhere I have a 15mm Dell'Orto for a Mobylette, but I think that might be too small bore.