Are you going to have to change car because of fuel prices?

DirtyDaily

4 hours ago, warch said:

My Triumph Speed Triple is about to get a second lease of life, it is obviously very fast and enjoyable to ride but it also does 50mpg in normal use so it’s not ruinously expensive to run. 

My Gashqai seems to have settled on about 41-44mpg so is bearable for a petrol. The old Landrover only gets used for local journeys so petrol costs aren’t  too much of an issue. I’m lucky enough to work from home and can claim mileage on some work journeys but I feel very sorry for those poor sods with a lengthy commute.

How sorry do you feel? Send me a couple of tenners so i can get to work on Monday.   (110 miles @ 40 mpg ) 

21 minutes ago, steveo3002 said:

we will just have to go out less..often drive to another town for shopping /day out etc , that will have to stop so we can afford to go to work , already run a 56mpg aygo, its the amount it uses its the price of it 

on the other hand im holding out for price drops on big block dodge chargers and will snap one up if they get under £1500 lol 

Big engine stuff isn't selling. That xfr or monaro might just be possible....

2 hours ago, twosmoke300 said:

No bike over 125 is cheaper to run than an average car .

Not when you factor in tyres , brakes and chains etc . 

Unless you pay for car parking / congestion etc 

My NC700X cost me £2700 5 years ago. Like <^ I get 80mpg. I have got 105mpg [my calcs] by doing 55mph and being docile in town.

My Royal Alloy 300 also does 80mpg [again real world my records] ridden normally.

I do all the servicing, tyres etc myself - the NC I have been known to scrounge tyres with decent life in that others have chopped out.

I do find them both spot on for dailying - the RA300 less so, as I baby-it and it wasnt cheap to buy.

Both bikes represent decent value for general use, compared to most cars.

My GSX-S1000 will get 70mpg if ridden kindly (what a flexible engine the K5 is), obviously 50mpg is more realistic if out in Brecon/Elan/Hay on Saturday afternoon. 

Duster is running on LPG which is 72ppl in Cribbs, but expect it to go up like petrol/derv.

Just now, Bren said:

Big engine stuff isn't selling. That xfr or monaro might just be possible....

you read about the american fuel crisis in the 70s and you couldnt give away muscle cars etc.... might be time to stash some juicy motors if  theyre cheap

although i expect its the begining of the end...force plebs out of cars , billy big bollcks can still run a new range rover and buy the wife a leccy car , while scumbag with the £500 car to use for work is fucked over 

Honestly if this is the end of ICE being able to be run on a reasonable budget I'm going to be fuming. Spent my whole life waiting to be able to enjoy it properly and as soon as I'm in a position to do so the game will of changed to completely soulless, white good esque electric cars. I think electric cars have their place and I don't hate them but I didn't wait my literal whole life for them. All the cars that I grew up dreaming of owning have gone stratospheric in price compared to what they were when I was young and now even if I could afford to buy outright then you've got the issue of the government trying to price us out of it all together. Boo.

14 hours ago, sierraman said:

In Eastern Europe you find they tend to have the ability to understand why you look after a car, don’t change the oil and the car blows up then there’s no fucker to bail you out.

In the U.K. the mentality is all different, if the car blows up then it’s someone else’s fault. 

Yes, in my experience East Europeans are the ideal people to buy cars from. Their cars are almost always well serviced, with good tyres, and well polished paintwork. Plus they are always in when they say they'll be. If you have something to sell they are also ideal customers, as long as the car is priced fairly.

16 hours ago, DirtyDaily said:

That's another good alternative if you can find a decent LPG system car. I've always been turned off by these for fear of unreliability and cost to fix but I suspect that's more scare mongering than actual founded experiences.

Modern sequential injection systems are very reliable.  Just need occasional filter changes.  Some of the best come from Poland now and the Polish installers are very quick.  Realistically though, it is rapidly disappearing as a fuel with Calor having more or less given up on automotive.  Flogas are still strong, but the comprehensive network that was there once has gone unless you live in specific places such as Birmingham were it is still massive. 

A lot quieter on the roads today, even the local shell garage (currently at 1.57 for derv) had an empty forecourt. Dad came over earlier. He’s heading to Cromer this afternoon on holiday. He’s got a fuel station near his house, 1.74 for derv, he’s gutted. He’s just waisted money when he could have got it cheaper on his visit to me.

Some good comments on here.

Getting hold of a pre dpf diesel is getting harder as most of them have gone and I would imagine majority of what's left will be end of life stuff.

The irony of this situation is that rising fuel costs are going to put people behind the wheel of diesel cars which is what the green lobby ( and government )do not wan't.

As I said earlier the government really do seem to want to reduce people's mobility.

2 hours ago, Nullzwei said:

If only there was a political party that would reign in the regressive green agenda. They would get my vote. That is the only way out of this mess.

But that just isn't true. If we had more investment previously into non-fossil fuel energy, we'd be less reliant on (unreliable) other countries (Middle East/Russia) for our energy needs. Right now we need more investment into green alternatives. Reducing green investment is short fix for a long term problem.

4 minutes ago, Bren said:

Getting hold of a pre dpf diesel is getting harder as most of them have gone and I would imagine majority of what's left will be end of life stuff.

The irony of this situation is that rising fuel costs are going to put people behind the wheel of diesel cars which is what the green lobby ( and government )do not wan't.

As I said earlier the government really do seem to want to reduce people's mobility.

It's a rather cheap short-term solution to meet green and clean air targets. The downside of pricing people out of cars is making the economy slump a fair bit because people won't be able to get to work.

3 hours ago, Andyrew said:

Then again, they could just Lower taxes on the fuel.

While it would help reduce the price, I noticed at my local garage that even the "low taxed" Red Diesel is over £1/litre now. 

32 minutes ago, lesapandre said:

Lovely little place Cromer and that beautiful N. Norfolk coast - plenty to do and see. Hope he has a great time.

There is also the railway line that runs up the coast if he fancys a bit of non-car sightseeing.

He likes the railway so he will probably sniff that one out! 

im glad my Audi is full. Haven’t really used it over the last few days as I can use my wife’s Astra. Which does double the fuel economy of the Audi. I can’t sell my Audi for a cheap runner, I bought it to tow my caravan. May as well get rid of the caravan if I can’t afford to tow it. In fact, the whole reason I bought it was because it was costing me too much to run the discovery 3, but that was over 12 months ago! 

1 hour ago, SiC said:

But that just isn't true. If we had more investment previously into non-fossil fuel energy, we'd be less reliant on (unreliable) other countries (Middle East/Russia) for our energy needs. Right now we need more investment into green alternatives. Reducing green investment is short fix for a long term problem.

It is globalism that is the problem not Joe Bloggs driving his diesel car. 

Funnily enough the investors in 'green' breakthrough energy are globalists one and all. The biggest polluters have the nerve to shift the blame to ordinary folk.

https://www.breakthroughenergy.org/investing-in-innovation/bev-board-and-investors

3 hours ago, Bren said:

I’ve got a diesel but I’d be hesitant to buy another, I’d happily give 5-10 mpg away for piece of mind knowing the DMF or the Injectors won’t shit themselves. Then again the new petrol engines aren’t much better...

Little pug 206 does around 37 local and 56 on a run, I don't drive much now as WFH 4 days a week,  wife has about a 3 mile commute both ways so we're down to about 30 miles a week roughly. That is about to change soon as I'm required to go back out into the big wide world 3 days a week so I'll probably be back to doing 100 miles a week. Not a massive bill but the pieces of shit in Whitehall never miss an opportunity to profit on the back of our misery.  The revolution of getting everybody to drive around in a milk float has nothing to do with the environment and everything to do with pricing the ordinary people off of the roads. We all know that running a shiter and keeping it sweet is the greenest form of motoring there is.

I can remember petrol briefly reaching 1.40ish a litre in about 2013. Back then I lived in Bristol and commuted to work in Leominster five days a week, which was a 160 mile round trip, 800 miles a week. I especially remember it because I couldn’t quite squeeze the 20quid I needed in my tank to qualify for the free Lego sets Shell we’re doing as a promotion.

1 hour ago, sierraman said:

Then again the new petrol engines aren’t much better...

There are (relatively) modern cars still with multi-port injection engines without a turbo. Its why I got the petrol version of my Civic mk9. Admittedly its certainly not a fireball of an engine and has to be worked to get the power. However it shouldn't give me any trouble and if it does, simple and straightforward to fix.

1 hour ago, warch said:

I can remember petrol briefly reaching 1.40ish a litre in about 2013. Back then I lived in Bristol and commuted to work in Leominster five days a week, which was a 160 mile round trip, 800 miles a week. I especially remember it because I couldn’t quite squeeze the 20quid I needed in my tank to qualify for the free Lego sets Shell we’re doing as a promotion.

It’s still cheaper today than it was back then, taking into account inflation.

4B39ED2E-D00A-4A37-898A-2EBC6AA01D2D.png

I think the people in the country who are really struggling and have nothing to cut back on because they’re basically hand to mouth are going to really struggle with petrol and utilities.

Everyone else will no doubt drive more economically, possibly use the car slightly less, but ultimately they’ll keep on racking up the miles.

Im very lucky, I have a good job, modest outgoings and no dependents.  I’m able to eat out a couple of times a week.  I’ll just eat out a bit less and keep on driving.  

My daily is a Merc 190d that ‘only’ does about 38/39mpg on a typical tank.  So the new 60mpg stuff is way ahead.  But I’m not making any repayments, I’ve no dual mass flywheel, coded injectors, DPF, electric PAS etc etc to go tits up.  Good tyres (Firestone, Kumho, Hankook) etc are £32 ish, brakes are pennies, cheap insurance etc etc.  I claw a lot back in other ways despite the fuel consumption being a bit heavy at current prices.