Are you going to have to change car because of fuel prices?

DirtyDaily

18 minutes ago, DirtyDaily said:
31 minutes ago, sierraman said:
No point changing cars really given most people don’t maintain them properly unless it’s something pointlessly thirsty but but boring all the same like a Mondeo 2.0 automatic.  
It often surprises me when people say the U.K. is a good place to buy a car, most people that live here are useless practically and don’t understand the value in looking after things like cars.

This is very true. I think the rover I have is in pretty decent nick so I'm pretty happy to run it but I'd rather do 20mpg in my Jag than potentially get double or even triple that in a basket case. You end up losing any savings in repair bills or even just deferred maintenance such as tyres, brakes, clutch, belts etc. I always spend great sums on money whenever I buy a car getting everything right to the point where I have doubled my investment in the jag and the volvo with 1 year of ownership. The volvo seemed to of had almost 0 maintenance in the last owners 17 years of ownership other than mot repairs and putting oil in from it leaking out so fast.

In Eastern Europe you find they tend to have the ability to understand why you look after a car, don’t change the oil and the car blows up then there’s no fucker to bail you out.

In the U.K. the mentality is all different, if the car blows up then it’s someone else’s fault. 

Nah, it's a Hilux Surf... not a pension pot I can assure you!
I see. I thought that but I thought they're more pickupy. They're a cool thing. I was potentially looking to get a surf when I was looking to get an amazon 100 series. Instead I bought a wardrobe for 6k that still hasn't been assembled. Guess who's idea that wasn't.

I guess I might start using the 2CV for commuting more and the Pontiac less… 

I’m potentially buying another V6 tomorrow… that now seems somewhat foolhardy… 

But…

The cost of fuel has risen approx 15p per litre recently (142-157 locally) which means a 60 litre full means around an extra £9 at the pumps. I tend to brim the Volvo and that in theory should take care of the commute. I’m lucky, that’s not too bad for me. 

My main concern is that with a gas guzzling Merc to sell this month that might not be as easy. 

My BMW does 21 mpg round the doors.

Our vectra does 35 -45 mpg as wife does short trips.

Both are ancient and we don't owe on them so fuel is not as big an issue for us as it will be for others.

However I do not see the logic in borrowing money for a car that might do 15 mpg more.

As for driving people into EV's I think the governments aim is to drive people off the road.

But I cycle 14 miles round trip to work, all year round in all weather (bar ice and 85mph winds obvs), and probably do more miles a year on bike than my by car. My rule has been don’t drive to work if you can cycle, so I’ve never regularly commuted by car ever. 
I drive my Volvo 940 2.3T estate maybe  once or twice a week, totalling 10-30 miles taking bike frames to the post office and ramming the boot with fruit/vegetables from Lidl, so the extra fuel price isn’t a big deal for me yet. Parts are cheap for these cars too so get a new econobox and find brake parts are 4 x the price and you question the saving. And I’m a bit of an environmentalist at heart and I think it’s better to keep an old Volvo going than buy some new plastic electric apparition that’ll be in landfill in 8 years before it’s even negated it’s production footprint. Those Surrey types thinking they’re holier than thou in their 70-plate Nissan Leafs can fuck right off. You need to consider the total cost of ownership, including the non-monetary costs to the planet. 

I’m not opposed to new, efficient cars, and obviously every case is unique, so if you commute a fair distance this “consider all costs” logic might actually justify buying an econobox. In which case that’s cool. I just can’t help but see the awful amount of plastic on them, and highly doubt today’s new EV be on the road still in 30 years. Planned obsolescence innit. 

I'm actually considering doing the opposite. Selling my hugely practical, economic diesel which has a FSH, low tax rate and sensible milage, while it's desirable, for a profit and buying something less suitable.

But I genuinely like the Octavia - it's a great car.

My Triumph Speed Triple is about to get a second lease of life, it is obviously very fast and enjoyable to ride but it also does 50mpg in normal use so it’s not ruinously expensive to run. 

My Gashqai seems to have settled on about 41-44mpg so is bearable for a petrol. The old Landrover only gets used for local journeys so petrol costs aren’t  too much of an issue. I’m lucky enough to work from home and can claim mileage on some work journeys but I feel very sorry for those poor sods with a lengthy commute.

Going to be a bit eyewatering when I fill up the motorhome next. The Ibiza gets mid 50's even when tramming it down to the west country, the Matiz does 40 on localish runs and the 206cc and the MGBs don't get used enough to worry about.

Roll on the arrival of my bus pass later this year.

1 hour ago, Sham said:

I'm actually considering doing the opposite. Selling my hugely practical, economic diesel which has a FSH, low tax rate and sensible milage, while it's desirable, for a profit and buying something less suitable.

But I genuinely like the Octavia - it's a great car.

Was just about to post similar. I'm not considering selling my recently acquired, 50+ mpg diesel estate any time soon. BUT if continued high fuel prices mean some tasty V8 engined cars drop heavily in price and the A4 rises in price, I could be tempted to. 

Rest of my cars are quite economical. Civic gets 40mpg petrol (wish it was more, hoping next service will help), Boxster gets 25-38mpg, depending on how and where I'm driving it and the classics are even cheaper as I hardly drive them! The A4 diesel is only being used to run around locally and to the train station. An inefficient V8 will warm up quickly and do that job just as well!

I did exactly this last year. 450 mile a week commute and 27mpg in the Jag was absolutely killing me in fuel. Dread to think what it'd cost now. Plus it wouldn't do the week one one tank so felt like I was always filling up. Swapped to a spaceship Civic diesel. Hateful thing and it makes me miserable and will only just crack 50mpg. Makes me miserable driving it so need to constantly remind myself it's to save money. Not sure it's worth it tbh if WW3 kicks off anyway

If prices stay high in the warmer months the Astra 1.7dti lump will start feeding on some veggy mix but it averages 54mpg mixed so its not a killer anyways. 

Glad my better half switched to the 107 pug from the thirsty jimny .

Luckily we move soon and this drops 20miles of her commute per day and mine becomes a walk to work. 

Then again, they could just Lower taxes on the fuel. 

Selling your existing car for something unknown that (might) save you a tenner a week on fuel is never a good idea.

Particularly if your current vehicle is reliable, dependable and something you know has been well looked after.  A single big bill on the new motor will easily wipe out any potential savings.

Better the devil you know.

2 hours ago, warch said:

My Triumph Speed Triple is about to get a second lease of life, it is obviously very fast and enjoyable to ride but it also does 50mpg in normal use so it’s not ruinously expensive to run. 

My Gashqai seems to have settled on about 41-44mpg so is bearable for a petrol. The old Landrover only gets used for local journeys so petrol costs aren’t  too much of an issue. I’m lucky enough to work from home and can claim mileage on some work journeys but I feel very sorry for those poor sods with a lengthy commute.

No bike over 125 is cheaper to run than an average car .

Not when you factor in tyres , brakes and chains etc . 

Unless you pay for car parking / congestion etc 

Was surprised that when London introduced their congestion charge, traffic levels never seemed to change. Likewise the ULEZ.

People will always pay what they HAVE to pay.

I don't use my car very often, as I have two motorbikes that will do 90mpg, and I can get a weeks worth of food shopping on either.

Although being able to ride all year round here makes a massive difference. 

I have a 140k 2008 pre dpf Avensis as the machine dedicated to providing reliable,safe transport duties,it does about 45mpg locally and i've had it four years and done nothing to it except fitting a second hand alternator a few weeks back.

I have a company van so have no commute costs and so i have been looking at hybrid (or just petrol) Auris's as a replacement for the derv powered Avensis but have come to the conclusion that anything hybrid is stupily expensive or have starship mileages so the Avensis stays for the foreseeable.

Down here in the dirty south east the traffic on the A2,M20,M25 is as rammed as ever so at the moment high fuel prices are being tolerated possibly at the expense of enjoying leisure activities.

I went down the Village Institute yesterday to watch the footy and Proper Job has gone up 20p to £3.40 a pint this is getting serious guys...

My Clio does around 60mpg but has been broken since Christmas. Boxster does about 28mpg but is sorn at the moment.

Im using the Omega all the time at the moment, and at 24.7mpg its crippling me. £10 a day in fuel just to go to work.

I think Ive got to the bottom of the Clio,s problems (fingers crossed) and hope to have it back on the road in the next couple of days.

If it doesnt work, then will consider selling as spears / rapiers and try and pick something up that allows me to go back to vegoil.

I really miss my free motoring. 

Honda NC 750 x ......   80mpg.  My Ovlov has gone from 34 mpg on a good day to 44 mpg by dint of extremely light right foot and avoiding braking by keeping a good distance.

If I had to change car it would probably be an old toyota hybrid for 60mpg.

But electric, gas , general price inflation and  Ukraine are my concerns.

we will just have to go out less..often drive to another town for shopping /day out etc , that will have to stop so we can afford to go to work , already run a 56mpg aygo, its the amount it uses its the price of it 

on the other hand im holding out for price drops on big block dodge chargers and will snap one up if they get under £1500 lol 

1 hour ago, twosmoke300 said:

No bike over 125 is cheaper to run than an average car .

Not when you factor in tyres , brakes and chains etc . 

Unless you pay for car parking / congestion etc 

I do all my own servicing including tyres and chains so that massively reduces the running costs. The thing is that it is a fun extremely fast vehicle when I want it to be which also sips petrol when is handy when it’s seven quid a gallon and never spends much time stationary in traffic.