Mk1 Rover 827 woes the my god its f**ked thread (Now Fixed)

Motown

On 3/20/2022 at 7:54 AM, Eyersey1234 said:

Chodtastic news you managed to get one, the old one is definitely fucking fucked m8. Probably a daft question, what was the difference between the 800 Mk1b and Mk1c?

Indeed and thank you! Rhonda just updated it really.... Few different gadgets but mostly cosmetic differences such interior and exterior trim different style bumpers etc. 

On 3/20/2022 at 10:05 AM, cms206 said:

Glad you've got this sorted Motown; the one thing going round in my head is though... why the fuck does a trip computer involve a different headlamp relay?! 🤣

Cheers me to haha! Its a vehicle condition monitor it has a trip clock also displays information such as mpg... brake status... fluid levels... lights... what doors are open/locked etc. Very much like whats on alot of modern vehicles but this one is german and from the 80s abit like Falco... Amadeus Amadeus COME ROCK ME AMADEUS!  🤣 i dont know why but alot of stuff seems to be wired through it or rely on it being plugged in.... ECU the cars lighting and numerous other functions i dont let go of it if i ever remove it for maintenance as the lights and certain aspects of the car dont work without it 🤔

11 hours ago, mercedade said:

The 'trip computer' is quite French in design, tbh - it's actually a vehicle condition monitor, so it tells you if bulbs are out. The giant screen version in earlier MK1s also had MPG info, trip info etc.

It never, ever worked and the LCD screen was crap.

Yeah the one i have has a trip clock also displays information such as mpg... brake status... fluid levels... lights... what doors are open/locked etc. It still works but the screen is slighty fragmented in places thankfully not over anything important such as brakes and fluid warning levels etc.

Its actually German made by Borg in the 80s and 90s I have contacted them before with regards to getting the screen repaired or sourcing replacement parts but they basically told me to gefickt werden which i think means get fucked in german! 🤣

24 minutes ago, Motown said:

Yeah the one i have has a trip clock also displays information such as mpg... brake status... fluid levels... lights... what doors are open/locked etc. It still works but the screen is slighty fragmented in places thankfully not over anything important such as brakes and fluid warning levels etc.

Its actually German made by Borg in the 80s and 90s I have contacted them before with regards to getting the screen repaired or sourcing replacement parts but they basically told me to gefickt werden which i think means get fucked in german! 🤣

XM screens are from Borg I believe. Do you have any particular problems? I think they have LCD bleed and flexible connector problems. 

image.thumb.jpeg.138abb56fa3c957016443da568e0aeb2.jpeg

http://www.club-xm.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3047&p=31964&hilit=Borg#p31964

27 minutes ago, jamescarruthers said:

XM screens are from Borg I believe. Do you have any particular problems? I think they have LCD bleed and flexible connector problems. 

image.thumb.jpeg.138abb56fa3c957016443da568e0aeb2.jpeg

http://www.club-xm.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3047&p=31964&hilit=Borg#p31964

Neither of the two in my 827s have screen bleed although i know this is a common problem as ive had ones in the past with bleeds.... Currently they work perfectly fine and are fully functional other than the screen is fragmented no doubt due to ribbon/flexible connector you mentioned. Strangely it improves with temperature so the warmer the car is the better the display is. I will take some pictures tommorow and post them here

I have approached numerous companies in the UK with a view to getting it fixed but not one said they could or would be willing to fix it due to parts availability or lack of knowledge with the unit. The unit itself is crucial to the function of the car ive always put up with it simply because id rather have a functional car and an intermittent screen than the unit being broken or lost and the car being useless.

@jamescarruthers Its very difficult to find a picture of one with a fully working screen for comparison as the cars and the units themselves are so rare now but here is what mine looks like...  Like i say the display varies with tempature and use i believe the ribbon connector needs resoldering but theirs thousands of the little pins so i dont imagine its an easy job... 

cRLvn5gP9ijXHVkM2dRKoEcGFtkpeY0VvU9IUIKG.thumb.jpg.9ba4d07f3815aed9d25e508644a5b698.jpg

82658064_2448412935473252_3349100770254389248_n.thumb.jpg.39e079b8046130194ddd809546c2701c.jpg

Situated under the radio

7IPOfwk1cpZeeS2aK2XoGvXPchOmxRt2zXjUdFIr.thumb.jpg.872e3309a8b416f385897c2f5471f916.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

***Update***

Parts arrived from America yesterday its looks more like a homemade bypass than a re-manufactured relay but either way am hoping it does the job. I wont know if it works until its wired into the car so the sparky is due today to fit it.  I would have fitted it myself but i rewired a toaster once and it burnt down a B&B in Whitby as such ive never been offered a complimentary breakfast since.

Fingers crossed the car will be back on the road next week its currently clocked up 180k but the Honda V6 (C27A) engines are practically bomb proof so theirs no reason once this is fixed i wont get another 180k out of the car.

276226558_3072287023085837_2165184922457928433_n.thumb.jpg.c82752133bcff0b947cb542c9f2154f3.jpg

1 hour ago, Motown said:

***Update***

Parts arrived from America yesterday its looks more like a homemade bypass than a re-manufactured relay but either way am hoping it does the job. I wont know if it works until its wired into the car so the sparky is due today to fit it.  I would have fitted it myself but i rewired a toaster once and it burnt down a B&B in Whitby as such ive never been offered a complimentary breakfast since.

Fingers crossed the car will be back on the road next week its currently clocked up 180k but the Honda V6 (C27A) engines are practically bomb proof so theirs no reason once this is fixed i wont get another 180k out of the car.

276226558_3072287023085837_2165184922457928433_n.thumb.jpg.c82752133bcff0b947cb542c9f2154f3.jpg

Oof 😵.... Will you be resorting to 'std Morris issue*' rubber washup glove, to waterproof all the wires ....

*AKA 'damp proofing a MiNi'?

2 hours ago, tooSavvy said:

Oof 😵.... Will you be resorting to 'std Morris issue*' rubber washup glove, to waterproof all the wires ....

*AKA 'damp proofing a MiNi'?

Added some silicone to the relay contacts and wrapped the wires the best i can. I am also temped to tie wrap a food bag over the top of the relay like a condom but this might be a little to far haha! 

• Motown changed the title to Mk1 Rover 827 woes the my god its f**ked thread (Now Fixed)
22 minutes ago, Motown said:

Added some silicone to the relay contacts and wrapped the wires the best i can. I am also temped to tie wrap a food bag over the top of the relay like a condom but this might be a little to far haha! 

More likely to just cause condensation and kill it.  

Keep it positioned as far as possible out of direct spray and make sure the relay is the right way up and it'll likely be fine for ages.  

Heatshrink is your friend where the wire splices are concerned.

A lot of things like relays tend to rely more on any damp that does get in being able to get back out again once things warm up rather than being hermetically sealed.

3 minutes ago, Minimad5 said:

Is it worth you getting some pictures of this new relay etc, as anyone else can use your thread for a similar problem ?

He says having never seen another Rover with this odd set-up 😅

Pictures of the original relay and the replacement have been posted on this thread ;) 

6 minutes ago, Minimad5 said:

I meant something a tad more indepth, such as showing the new relay details (part number) and what each cable marking says.

Well done for being persistent with finding a replacement though 😎

The new relay was made up using a standard 5 pin relay sadly i dont know what sorcery the chap in America used in order to bypass the issue but i do know he used the MK1C wiring diagram to make the relay so i imagine its not beyond anyone who has electrical knowledge and can read a wiring diagram (i mainly just look at pictures) ;) 

I wanted to post some detailed pictures of the new relay internals so people could see how it was made but its been sealed and i dont want to risk breaking it . You wont experience this issue unless you own the Mk1c 827 with the slim trip computer and they are rare cars now so this problem need only worrie a small number of people. However i might send the chap an email and ask the specifics of what he did.

The wiring was fairly easy as its just colour to colour but labels were put as time faded some of the colour and i didnt want to get mixed up and be back to square one!