Pogweazled MG ZT-T - Pog has suffered a mishap!

High Jetter

4 hours ago, High Jetter said:

Pog's back, with a fresh MOT. 2 fault codes reported, P2228 & P0069, both referring to Barometric Pressure, so I guess the MAP sensor. Should I be worried?

Next to get the a/c re-gassed. Local F1 autocentre is still £54 after a £5 discount applied, same as 2 years ago on the Toyota.

Not really anything to worry about in the sense of it being anything major

It's probably got a boost leak, that's what P0069 suggests

P2228 could either be a faulty or dirty MAP sensor, or a boost leak

It's worth removing the MAP sensor and checking if it's clogged, they do get clogged up and give false readings. If it's visibly clogged, you can try cleaning it with carb cleaner or similar but budget for a new one

If it's clean, then a smoke test would be next. You'll need a smoke machine, or you can use plumber's smoke pellets..

• High Jetter changed the title to Pogweazled MG ZT-T - Pog is chilling!

Flushed with success at freeing the seized rear wiper spindle, I booked it in at our local F1 Autocentre for an A/C regas. £54 with a £5 online discount voucher (the same code I used 2 years ago for the Auris, I found when going to copy-and-paste it in) and it's blowing much cooler now. Ready for Monday's trip 'oop North.

• High Jetter changed the title to Pogweazled MG ZT-T - Pog is playing up :(

On the trip to Wolverhampton and back (425 miles in total) it drove fine. The airbag light that the garage extinguished on the MOT (under-seat connectors) came back on soon after leaving on Monday. Going round town on Tuesday for the funeral it went out - but the ABS light came on and the speedo stopped working. Fortunately this had fixed itself in time for the drive home on Wednesday, but when we got back the cooling fan would not switch off. A quick online scout suggests this is A THING especially if the A/C has been used. Disconnected the battery, silence. Put the terminal back fully expecting it to start up again (stuck relay?) but it didn't. I had noticed the fan cutting in and out after a few seconds over the past few days though, not sure if it's connected.

ABS light and no speedo again on Thursday heading back from darkest Crowborough, but no problems with that yesterday on same run. Am beginning to think it's time for a change.

4 hours ago, High Jetter said:

On the trip to Wolverhampton and back (425 miles in total) it drove fine. The airbag light that the garage extinguished on the MOT (under-seat connectors) came back on soon after leaving on Monday. Going round town on Tuesday for the funeral it went out - but the ABS light came on and the speedo stopped working. Fortunately this had fixed itself in time for the drive home on Wednesday, but when we got back the cooling fan would not switch off. A quick online scout suggests this is A THING especially if the A/C has been used. Disconnected the battery, silence. Put the terminal back fully expecting it to start up again (stuck relay?) but it didn't. I had noticed the fan cutting in and out after a few seconds over the past few days though, not sure if it's connected.

ABS light and no speedo again on Thursday heading back from darkest Crowborough, but no problems with that yesterday on same run. Am beginning to think it's time for a change.

Might sound daft, but how old is the battery?

Moderns like this can do all sort of random and often utterly unpredictable things if the battery is even slightly weak.

Could it be a dodgy earthing point, even?

I'm not sure how the speedometer is controlled on these, but if it's by an ABS sensor (which could make sense given the two faults present at once), it may be one of those sensors playing up.

I expect these have "dumb" ABS where vehicle speed is taken from just one wheel, rather than calculated and taken as an average from all 4 to give the speedo readout

This doesn't make a sod of difference in practice when everything is working properly, but what it does mean is that when 1 of the 4 sensors packs up and it happens to be the one that "talks" to the speedo, you lose the speedo. 

If it's intermittent then it's probably a sensor on its way out. I've seen a lot of this on various cars and it's usually a dicky sensor, similar failure to a crank sensor when they go. 

Just to reassure* you, it'll probably be stuck fast in the hub 😬 

Regarding the fan, it could be numerous things. I've had it before where an A/C low pressure switch being faulty forces it to run all the time. Does it run full pelt when you turn the A/C on, and then stay running regardless of whether you turn it on or off? And will only return to normal functionality until cycling the ignition or disconnecting the battery and reconnecting, until you next try to use the A/C? 

With all that being said, it's usually also caused inoperative A/C, so if the A/C is working ok it's probably not the low pressure switch

Dodgy coolant temp sensor is a possibility. Don't forget most cars have more than one sensor, one for the guage and one for the ECU/fan controller. 

Alternatively dodgy relay(s) as you suggest

Just now, High Jetter said:

I did wonder if a) having the a/c regassed and b) the new OSR rear tyre might have had any contribution.

Correct tyre size fitted? That would certainly upset things.

If the fan is only "misbehaving" with A/C on, then it might be normal. Might. 

Was it completely inoperative before you had it re gassed?

All of my previous Rovers had A/C, but none ever worked, so I can't say how the fan behaved during normal usage!

• 1 month later...

Took it in today for 3 new tyres (the 4th was replaced on the recent MOT). On driving out of the garage I noticed the ABS light had reappeared, so went straight back. They couldn't see any disturbance to the wiring, and when they went to do a scan on it the damn thing had gone out again. Drove home with no issues, and hope it will stay that way for my trip to Stansted on Monday.

• High Jetter changed the title to Pogweazled MG ZT-T - Pog has suffered a mishap!

Went out to the bins the other day and noticed the o/s door mirror had snapped of its mount. No-one else has cause to walk past it, as it's further up the drive than the front door, and we live in a very quiet, small cul-de-sac.

I don't think that UHU shite tack, as kindly suggested by @Datsuncog in the grumpy thread, will solve it - but is it a whole new mirror or is there any well-known fix?

Loosemirror.thumb.jpg.d1461b48ce72fd68ece121799614b91a.jpg

11 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

well-known fix?

I'll let you decide if it's a fix, but I'm going to say drill some self tappers upwards... If you don't mind not being able to fold them in. 

Other than that, no, replace. Shirley must be plenty around? You could try to salvage the red cap to swap onto a replacement if needed. 

Can't imagine it being particularly expensive. Maybe £30 or so? Famous last words!

£40-£50 on th ebay, it seems. I'll do a post on the 75&ZT forum when I get a chance. I like the bodge idea, will bear it in mind. Removing and replacing it will be interesting as I have a poorly back/leg/knee at the moment which is restricting normal operations, and sitting on low things results in difficulty in regaining uprightness.

I'm perplexed as to how it happened, unless some miscreant was scouting a neighbour's place out (they won't find much here 🤣)

6 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

£40-£50 on th ebay, it seems. I'll do a post on the 75&ZT forum when I get a chance. I like the bodge idea, will bear it in mind. Removing and replacing it will be interesting as I have a poorly back/leg/knee at the moment which is restricting normal operations, and sitting on low things results in difficulty in regaining uprightness.

I'm perplexed as to how it happened, unless some miscreant was scouting a neighbour's place out (they won't find much here 🤣)

I've done the bodge before for customers at least as a temporary measure while we either wait for a new one or they wait for their appointment to be fitted, a bodged mirror is better than nothing. Sometimes it becomes a bit more permanent :)