Pogweazled MG ZT-T - Pog has suffered a mishap!

High Jetter

Finally got the bumper off today, the 3 self-tappers on the O/S had rusted solid and would not turn. Replaced the screenwash pump and I now have working front screenwash.

When I operate the rear one though, the wiper works fine but I get screenwash on the front rather than rear screen. The pump has only 2 wires to it, and the outlet has 2 hoses teeing off. I can't fathom out how the pump knows which screen to send the water to - online search doesn't suggest a seperate reservoir.

On 6/9/2022 at 9:23 PM, High Jetter said:

Finally got the bumper off today, the 3 self-tappers on the O/S had rusted solid and would not turn. Replaced the screenwash pump and I now have working front screenwash.

When I operate the rear one though, the wiper works fine but I get screenwash on the front rather than rear screen. The pump has only 2 wires to it, and the outlet has 2 hoses teeing off. I can't fathom out how the pump knows which screen to send the water to - online search doesn't suggest a seperate reservoir.

I can’t think of another way of doing this with one pump so bear with me while I talk about a completely different car! 

On the C5, one motor does front and rears with a pump that turns either direction  depending on the polarity of the voltage applied.  Inside there is a shuttle valve which controls the direction of flow depending on which way the pump is told to spin. The internal valve can get sticky and do exactly what you say— put the fluid on the wrong screen.  I think it is repairable but not worth it and better to get a new pump if they are as cheap as the Citroen. 

3 hours ago, jamescarruthers said:

I can’t think of another way of doing this with one pump so bear with me while I talk about a completely different car! 

On the C5, one motor does front and rears with a pump that turns either direction  depending on the polarity of the voltage applied.  Inside there is a shuttle valve which controls the direction of flow depending on which way the pump is told to spin. The internal valve can get sticky and do exactly what you say— put the fluid on the wrong screen.  I think it is repairable but not worth it and better to get a new pump if they are as cheap as the Citroen. 

Apparently, you're spot on! I've had the same answer from the 75 & ZT forum. I just need to find out why it's not switching fluid lines, either supply voltage, valve, or motor not playing ball.

Solved it today! The pump has two outlets at its base, the laws of physics directing the water according to direction of rotation (think of a hotel's revolving door with a partition dividing the exit according to which way the door is spinning). Direction is controlled by the polarity of the supply which is controlled (somehow) by whichever of the 2 switches is used.

I was testing mine with just the ignition on, and only got water to the front screen when operating the rear washer.  Hey, front one works OK, so that's enough for the MOT, methinks. However, went out-and-about today in it and it works fine on the rear now.

• High Jetter changed the title to Pogweazled MG ZT-T - MOT time
46 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Fiddling with the wires under the driver's seat used to be a regular service procedure when I had my 45, just had to prey the SRS light stayed off long enough for the MOT 🙄😅

Yup, split and joined the 2 connectors under each seat, problem solved. For now. Headlamps now clearer, not a perfect job but I'm calling it OK for my first time doing it. I'll give it a wash next.

Washed it, then checked the lights. N/S dip not working :(  What an arse to get to - the old bulb came out suspiciously easily and can I get the locking ring to engage now? I think the lugs on the back of the housing are bent, but getting to them to straighten will probably be bumper off again.

Makes me think that  Citroen had some input into the design of these cars.

There's an inspection panel in the wheel arch liner on facelift 75's to access the headlight bulbs. I would have thought a ZT should be the same?

I recall the AA man struggling to fit a dipped beam to my 45, I only called the AA because it was night time, didn't have a spare on me and didn't really want to continue the journey sans illumination. 

By doing this, it left me able to retrieve a nearby resident's cat that had run outside... As an aside, the patrol responded "what's that for, tonight's curry?" 

And no I'm not making any of this up 😆 but I can only conclude that my experience of changing bulbs in a Rover of that era is to pay the AA £7.50 to do it so that your hands don't become lacerated and you can do other things, such as retrieve cats that are on the loose 😀

4 hours ago, Dan29 said:

There's a non-runner in the same colour for sale for £300 ono if you need any parts - unfortunately the paintwork is described as "tatty", potentially in the same places as yours https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=319986

Thanks, will bear that in mind. Don't really have the space for another vehicle (Yes, I know that is not an AS excuse)

23 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

There's an inspection panel in the wheel arch liner on facelift 75's to access the headlight bulbs. I would have thought a ZT should be the same?

It is, but your arm through the panel hole obscures sight of what you're doing! I used a mirror-on-a-stick from above to guide my hand from below. Just about got it to hold in - but none of the 4 headlamps worked. With 30 minutes to go before MOT time I thought I'd run it in a bit early in the hope they'd be able to sort it, but when I started the car all 4 did work.

4 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

I see the fail, not too bad! A new brake pipe + hose perhaps?

As Chris Tarrant used to say, thanks for caring. One hose departed company with the caliper on the rollers, I was told (like one of my Hijet brake pipes did some years ago at the same test centre). I gave them the go-ahead to replace both flexis, the pipe is just coated with grease. Rear discs were replaced with Brembo in 2017,  about 32k miles ago, according to the history file.

30 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Got the car back this morning, curiously since Monday the ARB link ball joint dust covers have seriously deteriorated :roll: - they must have missed them first time round.

I don't want to do a full @maxxo, but I'm not sure I'm really bonding with this car so far.

My advice for not bonding with a car is to get rid before further expense

You won’t suddenly like it more

for me it was a car I loved that got ruined and I stopped bonding with it then so sold it for the C5

• 7 months later...

I've had this for a year now. The last 6 months or so it's only seen occasional use, for trips about an hour each way, the latest one this morning. Of course, as it was raining, the rear wiper decided not to exit hibernation and refused to function. Have to say though, it is a comfortable old barge to pilot even with the very grotty road surfaces on the Sussex/Kent border, and it saves me having to drive the flipping Auris.

• High Jetter changed the title to Pogweazled MG ZT-T - Pog goes to Pompey
1 hour ago, RoverFolkUs said:

If you find anything more exciting than a Farmfoods in Portsmouth then I doff my cap to you sir 🤣

Come on now, it’s not that bad! I mean this is a city that welcomes its visitors in with a great big landfill site on one side of its main road entrance. It’s breathtaking to see really.

Just now, danthecapriman said:

Come on now, it’s not that bad! I mean this is a city that welcomes its visitors in with a great big landfill site on one side of its main road entrance. It’s breathtaking to see really.

It's so exciting one of its redeeming features is getting out of it by being a port for the Isle of Wight 🤣

They don't even supply parachutes at the spinnaker tower so that you have a way of relieving your misery once you've got to the top 🤣

1 minute ago, High Jetter said:

We're staying in Southsea, actually. A bit like Hove, actually. Not as posh tho.

Ooh look at you mr fancy pants😆

Southsea isn’t too bad really. The sea front is ok and the bit around the golf course/pond. Which reminds me, the little cafe at the golf course (The Tenth Hole) is very good imho. Not the cheapest but the food is lovely! Their cooked English breakfast is exquisite!

Theres the D Day museum on the sea front and southsea castle.

Avoid Fratton. It’s a shit hole!

HMS Warrior and HMS Victory are good to see. And the Mary Rose museum.

6 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

🤣

Yea, museum is already on list, as is dockyard, harbour tour & ferry to Gosport. Handily our 'boutique hotel' (!) has a bus stop outside with a direct route to the dockyard so much beer can be consumed during the day.

Gosport isn’t the nicest place either tbh!

The Still & West pub is right on the waterfront in Portsmouth. You can sit and watch all the boats & ships come and go. It’s right on the very tip of the inlet to the harbour. There’s a picture in the pub of HMS Vanguard which was being towed out for scrap but it broke loose and ended up turned sideways across the harbour entrance with its arse end pretty much overhanging the pub!

The Garage Lounge on the corner of Albert Rd and Elm grove is nice for cake and coffee, Tenth hole as @danthecapriman has already said, plenty of decent places to eat along Albert Rd or Palmerston Rd, Southsea Rock Shop on Marmion road is quite good for local arts and crafts stuff - lots of funny local stuff. Go up to Portsdown hill for a pretty decent view of the whole area and a Micks Monster Burger. Southwick brewhouse, just on the other side of the hill is well worth a visit, and the adjoining pub does good food. Wickham, a bit further along has a really nice town square and fancy places to eat.

For £25 per person I'll give you a tour of my garage.

Thanks, noted. I'm wondering if the accessory shop on Albert Rd might have been a Longlife one back when I worked for them 

1 hour ago, Stanky said:

For £25 per person I'll give you a tour of my garage.

Wot, no over 60s discount? 😁 I wouldn't want to lower the tone of your area though!