Dyslexic Viking's vehicle fleet.

Dyslexic Viking

Since I now have 3 vehicles, I thought it would be best to gather them all in one thread.

So I now have 2 cars and 1 van. The modern Hyundai, The 1982 beige and green Audi 80CL, and the newest fleet member my 2004 Opel Vivaro 1.9 DTI.

Audi

20210824_155129.thumb.jpg.01783095e843a7c6c08d5ab01bef97e2.jpg

Vivaro and with the Hyundai lurking in the background

20220227_175548.thumb.jpg.5e28ee537e95bd411896b0667eca6654.jpg

Lots of space for activities here.

20220228_120607.thumb.jpg.d079655ab3225f81264c38979b875f9b.jpg

The interior needs a clean and new seats in better condition.

20220228_120643.thumb.jpg.bfa02ff851176a57ec357d6a796af9d0.jpg

A better photo of this from the previous owner taken in summer

_1676421405.thumb.jpg.602f196930dabf090012557eaaaf3c38.jpg

I have gone into the details of the Audi before, so I will focus on the Vivaro. It has 296,000km on it now and 2 previous owners. The first was a small municipality in western Norway that owned it from new to 2016 and the last owner from 2016 to 2022. It has until 2016 been maintained at the main dealer and the last owner has also maintained it well. And he was clearly sad to see it go but had to sell it. So it is in good shape for its age and mileage. The plan with this is to convert it into a camper something it is perfect for and a suitable retirement after a 18-year long working life.

But the Vivaro is not perfect it needs work and this was the reason why the previous owner sold it. It has deficiencies from our MOT. So it needs full brake overhaul rear new brake discs and brake pads front. New shock absorbers at the front, possible new headlights, various light bulbs, and fixed sliding door driver's side. And some other little things. So because of this, the previous owner chose to sell as he could not fix it himself so it became too expensive.

So I'm waiting for parts now and then work starts when they arrive. It must be approved by March 27 so must start work as soon as possible.

40 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

But the Vivaro is not perfect it needs work and this was the reason why the previous owner sold it. It has deficiencies from our MOT. So it needs full brake overhaul rear new brake discs and brake pads front. New shock absorbers at the front, possible new headlights, various light bulbs, and fixed sliding door driver's side. And some other little things. So because of this, the previous owner chose to sell as he could not fix it himself so it became too expensive.

So I'm waiting for parts now and then work starts when they arrive. It must be approved by March 27 so must start work as soon as possible.

It doesn't sound the worst type of work needed, more like a list of things you'd almost expect to find needing done on a 16year old van.

4 minutes ago, 320touring said:

It doesn't sound the worst type of work needed, more like a list of things you'd almost expect to find needing done on a 16year old van.

Yes it's not that bad. The worst thing when it comes to fixing it is the shock absorbers as I do not have a proper spring press so I consider letting the garage do the work. And the rear brake discs contain the wheel bearings on these so this is a bit annoying.

One problem we have in Norway is that everything is expensive. But on some things the prices are higher than the rest of Europe and one of these is car parts. And this is not a conspiracy theory car parts importers in Norway increase the price of the parts they sell here as the price level of much is so high that most people do not think off it. Here Is is an example

This is the Mekonomen chain that sells car parts and also gives a good indication of what the garages will charge for parts. And this is 1 Monroe shock absorber 1882kr is 158 punds

2064096299_Screenshot2022-02-2814_37_12.thumb.png.f98a75ec436b89fb01b2825d673898e3.png

This bellow is the Norwegian carpart online store Eurodel which has much of the same prices as Autodoc and what I assume is European price level and this is the same Monroe shock absorber 993 kr or 83 punds

93232145_Screenshot2022-02-2814_38_45.thumb.png.a7c5cf27a5be99ca42a954cbc585baad.png

So a price difference of 889 kroner or 74 pounds on 1 shock absorber. So it quickly becomes very expensive if one buys the parts in the wrong places here. I expect to save at least 8000 kroner or 670 pounds on what I will fix on the Vivaro by buying the parts in the right places.

I am glad to see more people joining the x83 massiv.

The rear brake discs are not that difficult. The centre nut is quite tight (280Nm) so you need a good torque wrench to retighten it and you must use a new nut. Apart from that it's no different from doing any other disc. 

One thing to check is the rear handbrake cables that go to the calipers. They are a common fault and become very seized resulting in the handbrake dragging.

Good you got a 1.9, these are hardy engines. The only real thing to watch for is the drive belt as when they fail, they get stuck in the timing belt and shred it, destroying the engine. It should be changed every 2-3 years.

13 minutes ago, juular said:

I am glad to see more people joining the x83 massiv.

The rear brake discs are not that difficult. The centre nut is quite tight (280Nm) so you need a good torque wrench to retighten it and you must use a new nut. Apart from that it's no different from doing any other disc. 

One thing to check is the rear handbrake cables that go to the calipers. They are a common fault and become very seized resulting in the handbrake dragging.

Good you got a 1.9, these are hardy engines. The only real thing to watch for is the drive belt as when they fail, they get stuck in the timing belt and shred it, destroying the engine. It should be changed every 2-3 years.

Thanks for a lot of good information. Then I have a little problem with the center nut on the brake discs at the rear. Since my torque wrench is probably not going that high I need to check and possibly get a better one. And I think handbrake wire has been replaced but will check them. And that belt I also have to change then it is 3 years since the timing belt was changed and I do not know if they changed it or if they reused the old one.

I think that the bearing would have to seize solid on the left hand rear wheel for the nut to receive any loosening force. It's likely that the brake disc would be worn out and replaced long before this would happen.

The van was fine for a year and a half after that then I sold it. It's still on the road 5 years later so I can only assume no fireball occurred.

I've since bought a high end torque wrench and do it properly but I honestly think most garages would just blam it on with the impact which would be a totally unspecified torque amount.

This is definitely an possibillty. But many scrap yards and the like post items for sale on ebay. I bought a used door handle for the Vivaro on ebay today from Latvia. And a while ago I bought a mirror and a spare wheel for the Hyundai from the UK. So I think I can get hold of items without bothering people here.

2 minutes ago, Popsicle said:

@Dyslexic Vikingdoes the green front number plate signify anything? I noticed a few of the vans you where looking at had them, is it a van/commercial vehicle thing in Norway?

Yes the green license plates are used on vans but if a van has a total weight of over 3500 kg, it is registered as a truck and has white plates. Do not know why this is so.

I believe green plates are for light commercials, below 3500kg and with a max of 3 seats. Light commercial road tax is significantly less than passenger cars, which is why there are many commercial versions of passenger estates, and things like Land Rover discoveries and indeed Range Rovers. Or at least there were.

16 hours ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

Today I have fixed some small things on the Vivaro such as light bulbs and window washer. And I noticed an interesting repair for the sensor on the driver's door where someone has taped a coin on the door to make the sensor work better.

20220301_103015.thumb.jpg.8d4810e3abad17f42b5431159071414c.jpg

This is common. It's also normal to screw a self tapper into the sensor on the sliding door to make it work better.

I'm still waiting for parts for the Vivaro hoping to get them before the weekend. But today I looked a little more at the Vivaro.

I do not like how buried the engine is and how difficult some things like the belts are to get to.

20220302_120839.thumb.jpg.58375f4c5252b3d0e6185b14dd964dbd.jpg

20220302_120848.thumb.jpg.7cd18bedd99dfed03370c049d73ffd26.jpg

I want to look at the drive belt and have to go under to look at it. And the shield under the engine needed a cleaning did this before I put it back on.

20220302_122355.thumb.jpg.16d7a83684f596c865eef777d20fe162.jpg

Drive belt has some surface marks on the outside but looks nice on the inside and I see no cracks on it. So think it was replaced with the timing belt 3 years ago but will check the receipt if it was.

20220302_122615.thumb.jpg.850778a990dd8a3dac4a066a63c24e40.jpg

20220302_122652.thumb.jpg.ce85edd9eaadbca6f259bbe36d10bc99.jpg

But discovered that the power steering pump or something is leaking and that the tank for it is almost empty. So have to refill and follow how much it leaks.

20220302_122507.thumb.jpg.dcc079b6ae66afd6df695ca3e8b15118.jpg

Is probably not so clear in the picture but it was wet with oil.

A bit annoying with the power steering leak but this is what one must expect on an old car. And am glad that the drive belt did look okay.

On 3/1/2022 at 5:56 PM, Dyslexic Viking said:

I noticed an interesting repair for the sensor on the driver's door where someone has taped a coin on the door to make the sensor work better.

Cashback after purchase! You can put it towards the power steering leak repair...

18 hours ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

I'm still waiting for parts for the Vivaro hoping to get them before the weekend. But today I looked a little more at the Vivaro.

I do not like how buried the engine is and how difficult some things like the belts are to get to.

20220302_120839.thumb.jpg.58375f4c5252b3d0e6185b14dd964dbd.jpg

20220302_120848.thumb.jpg.7cd18bedd99dfed03370c049d73ffd26.jpg

I want to look at the drive belt and have to go under to look at it. And the shield under the engine needed a cleaning did this before I put it back on.

20220302_122355.thumb.jpg.16d7a83684f596c865eef777d20fe162.jpg

Drive belt has some surface marks on the outside but looks nice on the inside and I see no cracks on it. So think it was replaced with the timing belt 3 years ago but will check the receipt if it was.

20220302_122615.thumb.jpg.850778a990dd8a3dac4a066a63c24e40.jpg

20220302_122652.thumb.jpg.ce85edd9eaadbca6f259bbe36d10bc99.jpg

But discovered that the power steering pump or something is leaking and that the tank for it is almost empty. So have to refill and follow how much it leaks.

20220302_122507.thumb.jpg.dcc079b6ae66afd6df695ca3e8b15118.jpg

Is probably not so clear in the picture but it was wet with oil.

A bit annoying with the power steering leak but this is what one must expect on an old car. And am glad that the drive belt did look okay.

Not unusual for a leak at high mileage on these. They aren't awful to replace.

While you are poking around take the engine cover off and check the wiring underneath it for the injectors. The vibration can rub them until they snap.

It's good practice to put some washers on the airbox mounts to act as spacers.

1 hour ago, juular said:

Not unusual for a leak at high mileage on these. They aren't awful to replace.

While you are poking around take the engine cover off and check the wiring underneath it for the injectors. The vibration can rub them until they snap.

It's good practice to put some washers on the airbox mounts to act as spacers.

I will do that and again thank you for a lot of good information.

Yesterday I spent a lot of the day trying to get in touch with Norway Post on the phone about the missing package with parts for Vivaro, something I never managed. So since I have a deadline to get the van fixed, I ordered the parts again and shortly after they were sent, Norway Post found the missing package, so with what comes in the next few days, I have double with brake parts. Something that is not necessary and expensive.

But I got everything I had originally ordered of parts today.

20220308_103659.thumb.jpg.ee6e16ff859763d714aa976864c09e41.jpg

So I started and replaced the headlights which went very well. And with the headlights out, I got to clean a little behind everything.

20220308_105530.thumb.jpg.8d74dca7da246bd83bb9ba6df7e4e5fc.jpg

And was nice with new headlights.

20220308_115002.thumb.jpg.196e88fde04a5ef5070eef6b2270ea49.jpg

So I wanted to start on the brakes at the back but what I had not thought of was that the center nut on the brake discs is large and I do not have tools so big so have had to order it from local garage so I get it quickly and get it tomorrow.

So then I started on the brakes up front left side instead. And this went very well having done this many times before on several cars. But when I pushed the piston into the brake caliper, this happened

20220308_145751.thumb.jpg.76d12862433b7c218e487e5ef793e9dc.jpg

Yes it is brake fluid and this is new to me and have never experienced or heard of this happening. These brake calipers in front are only 5 years old but now I have to change them as I do not take any chances with brakes. So have ordered new and clamp of the brake hose. So this is only getting more expensive. Tomorrow I will hopefully change the rear brakes and then we will see how many new problems there will be from this.

I can add that when I pushed the piston into the brake caliper, I did this carefully and had opened the vent screw a little. Is possible I did not open it enough but I have earlier before I started to open the vent screw pressed in the piston without problem. So do not think it matters.

1 hour ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

I can add that when I pushed the piston into the brake caliper, I did this carefully and had opened the vent screw a little. Is possible I did not open it enough but I have earlier before I started to open the vent screw pressed in the piston without problem. So do not think it matters.

It doesn't matter, the only reason to take the cap off is to stop it popping off and brake fluid going all over the engine bay.

I suspect the seals have been on their way out and pushing the caliper back will have finished them off. It's good that you found this out now and not on the motorway!

Fwiw I'd just replace the seals themselves if you are pushed for money. A rebuild kit should be quite cheap and it's not a difficult job. However since these vans are so popular and were on the market for 14 years you might find that a new caliper is quite cheap as well.