Saab 9-5, Chinese great bunch of lads, apart from making sensors

rainagain

• 3 weeks later...

I've been getting the 'water in fuel' warning popping up on the dash board now and again as well as a constantly illuminated ECU light on the dash. When I read the fault codes all I get is 'water in fuel'. When I got the car it was missing the water sensor for the fuel filter so I fitted a cheap one from ebay. I drained the fuel filter but it made no difference. I changed the fuel filter when I got it so it was probably due a change anyway.

My Saab has lost the fuel filter cover so the filter is a bit of a mess, it also looks like it's been seeping a wee bit of fuel.

IMG_0994.JPEG.c4112dab5562f1319affc14950a076b4.JPEG

Part of the yellow seal for the wiring plug is knackered and sticking out as well, just as I was starting to undo the filter it naturally started to rain.

IMG_0995.JPEG.6c57e830bd3d62078e6c5534f5d2ff81.JPEG

So I had the joys of lying on wet cardboard in the rain. I removed the sensor and then the old filter. I used some of the diesel in the old filter to coat the seals on the new filter and screwed it back on with the sensor. It felt crap whilst spinning it on, you could feel the rubber seal catching. I started the car and stuck my head back under so I could watch diesel drip out the top of the new filter, excellent. I unscrewed the new filter and found that the bit of ground I was lying on was lower than under the filter so all the diesel that spilled out made it's way to where I lying, leaving me stinking of diesel for the rest of the day. I smeared some Vaseline round the seals this time and refitted it, perfect no more leaks.

IMG_0996_2.JPEG.afa385ac1b0013ed8513e6ac333d27e8.JPEG

Annoyingly this didn't clear the water in fuel issue so I'll probably have to buy a new sensor, I think I'll just grab a genuine Saab one from NeoBros on ebay for £20 and be done with it. 

• rainagain changed the title to Saab 9-5, Chinese great bunch of lads, apart from making sensors