Saab 9-5, F**king potholes

rainagain

Got some more time trying to get this sorted for its MOT, I fitted my new flexi after blowing up the original.

22.thumb.jpg.f3c7fc2b655bbd125af8e8e7feb4456f.jpg

I really struggled to get a new clip to hold the flexi in after having to destroy the original one to get it out. I tried my local eurocarparts, then the local factors and eventually I ended up at Dingbro. Despite being trade only they guy there kindly served me and sold me a pack of ten of the clips for just over £13. 

23.thumb.jpg.7e119a48e01b311d510fd48ddc23382b.jpg

Next up was the running new lines from the flexis to the ABS pump. I started disconnecting the pipes from the abs pump and I was not looking forward to running the new pipes behind all the gubbings attached to the firewall. I did think I could possibly run them in front of this stuff but I didn't think I would be able to safely hold the pipes in place.

Whilst underneath I noticed this connection on one of the two pipes running to the rear (that's the front sub frame shown in the right of the picture).

10.jpg.71c561aa11ad6752c07ffbe46bea0644.jpg

Looking at the other pipe I found it had a similar connection but it was obscured by the front subframe. If I could get both of these to release I could avoid the hassle of trying to route the new pipes alone the firewall. The one you can see above was easy enough to access but the other one was behind the subframe. I disconnected this pipe from the ABS pump and unclipped it from the firewall clips, I then cut the pipe heading towards the rear right at the connection. I was able to just and no more then ease the connection up and get access to it from the inner wheel arch. Luckily both of these connections released ok.

I connected the new copper pipe for the O/S and started running it towards the rear of the car. This was going well until it came to put the final flare on it. My flare tool is excellent in a vice but when I tried to do it whilst holding it, not only was I not able to make a particularly great flare but it also kinked the pipe which stopped the union sliding down to the flare. I had a bit of a panic here but luckily I had just enough spare pipe to cut off the first flare and try again. I managed a passable but again not great flare but at least the pipe wasn't kinked and I could slide the union on it. 

25.thumb.jpg.7ec322d24906b5c0589f0a4331fef4f0.jpg

I chopped the N/S pipe into three bits which allowed me to remove it, my idea here was to cut a piece of copper pipe the right length then I could make up both ends with my flare tool in the vice. This was a nightmare to fit onto the car due to it's length and having to thread it round the fuel filter connections and the round the tank. I couldn't get it clipped into the clips at the rear due to having no access so I tie wrapped it to the chassis instead. Here we have two new pipes all fitted, if I was going to do this job again I would have pressure washed the bottom of the car beforehand, I spent the entire time having bits of crap landing on my face, eyes, falling in my ears, mouth it was fantastic way to spend my weekend!

24.thumb.jpg.396912e6f8bb7464f52d504df268510b.jpg

Brakes now fully bleed, special DPF protection plate installed. 
453E9EC7-691A-4D92-95CD-63723F12EA99.thumb.jpeg.3863e576d87b544c1849d980dfeb6efa.jpeg

I flipped the car upside down to make it easier to install. Speaking of which I got the metal clips, I thought they worked like tie wraps but I couldn’t get the little pawl to grip. I ended up bending the end over and sort of half hammering it closed. 
D696B735-09E2-445D-A0D7-AA089AE62E87.thumb.jpeg.fe11d26915c0bc098a994f317ca15174.jpeg

anyone know what you’re supposed to do with them? 

• rainagain changed the title to Saab 9-5 at the mot station now…
1 hour ago, rainagain said:

Speaking of which I got the metal clips, I thought they worked like tie wraps but I couldn’t get the little pawl to grip. I ended up bending the end over and sort of half hammering it closed. 

D696B735-09E2-445D-A0D7-AA089AE62E87.thumb.jpeg.fe11d26915c0bc098a994f317ca15174.jpeg

I bought the same, if I remember right some worked fine and others wouldn't grip at all without a little bit of persuasion.

3 hours ago, rainagain said:

Brakes now fully bleed, special DPF protection plate installed. 
453E9EC7-691A-4D92-95CD-63723F12EA99.thumb.jpeg.3863e576d87b544c1849d980dfeb6efa.jpeg

I flipped the car upside down to make it easier to install. Speaking of which I got the metal clips, I thought they worked like tie wraps but I couldn’t get the little pawl to grip. I ended up bending the end over and sort of half hammering it closed. 

If you slide them through the 'wrong' side of the head they just slip. If you slide them through the right side they grip and grip and cannot be released no matter how much you slash your skin on the sharp edges. 

• rainagain changed the title to Saab 9-5 MOT achieved!
On 4/21/2022 at 5:40 PM, Saabnut said:

Yay, I am SO pleased. If you want rid at any time, I would happily buy it back. I still have the spare key here, boxed and ready to go but I never go near a post office when it is open. Special trip methinks.

Would it help if I arranged for myHermes or a similar courier to collect it? The current key has a mind of its own. I cleaned all the contacts in it and fitted a new battery. However it will unlock the car if you sit and repeatedly jab the unlock button. Likewise you can sometimes get it to lock by doing the same dance with the lock button. I’m not sure if there’s a problem with the key or the car. I’d love to sort it as trying to get the car locked/unlocked whilst also herding children and a dog away from the road is a challenge! 

1 hour ago, rainagain said:

Would it help if I arranged for myHermes or a similar courier to collect it? The current key has a mind of its own. I cleaned all the contacts in it and fitted a new battery. However it will unlock the car if you sit and repeatedly jab the unlock button. Likewise you can sometimes get it to lock by doing the same dance with the lock button. I’m not sure if there’s a problem with the key or the car. I’d love to sort it as trying to get the car locked/unlocked whilst also herding children and a dog away from the road is a challenge! 

I will pull my finger out and go to the post office on Monday!

My current to do list stands as follows:

1. Sort front bumper as it’s come away on the N/S and looks awful

2. Hopefully clean electric mirror switch as I can sometimes get the mirrors to adjust by continually pressing the directional control, from looking at YouTube this is dirt on the contacts. 

3. oil and oil filter change

4. air filter change

5. sort parking sensors, this is a big car to reverse by hope!

6. Change timing belt. 

7. replace front sub frame bushes probably with poly flex as it wanders around under hard acceleration 

8. treat the rust under the car before it gets any worse

9. fit new front tyres, they just squeaked through the mot 

I must say I’m thoroughly enjoying smoking around in this, it’s lovely and comfortable and goes very well!

Had a game of two halves, I took the mirror switch apart and cleaned all the contacts. 
19F7B91C-8DE0-435A-8CA5-E3E55B2F40B6.thumb.jpeg.45f8607b8859b84c9405fc824f907d83.jpeg

When I refitted it, it worked perfectly and I could now adjust both mirrors from the comfort of the driver’s seat. 

Following from this success I thought I’d have another look at the key. I’d cleaned it previously and it was sort of working to unlock if you kept repeatedly pressing the buttons. I took it apart and cleaned everything again. However this time after reassembling it, it was completely dead. Nothing I could do would make the car respond to it. I took it apart again and found I was getting almost battery voltage across the contacts for the buttons so it looks like some of it is working. I’m assuming whatever part of it was intermittent is now dead :( 

Just now, rainagain said:

Had a game of two halves, I took the mirror switch apart and cleaned all the contacts. 
19F7B91C-8DE0-435A-8CA5-E3E55B2F40B6.thumb.jpeg.45f8607b8859b84c9405fc824f907d83.jpeg

When I refitted it, it worked perfectly and I could now adjust both mirrors from the comfort of the driver’s seat. 

Following from this success I thought I’d have another look at the key. I’d cleaned it previously and it was sort of working to unlock if you kept repeatedly pressing the buttons. I took it apart and cleaned everything again. However this time after reassembling it, it was completely dead. Nothing I could do would make the car respond to it. I took it apart again and found I was getting almost battery voltage across the contacts for the buttons so it looks like some of it is working. I’m assuming whatever part of it was intermittent is now dead :( 

Has the spare not arrived? It was posted Monday morning first class signed for.

They key kindly provided by @Saabnut has been working perfectly so I decided to give it an oil change. 9B894D25-BBC9-4C70-A436-BCD330CE231B.thumb.jpeg.db85a31dc47da6728718dff2487d85f0.jpeg

At first I thought surely to god that can’t be the oil filter I must be mistaken. Only a fucking moron would have designed it like that. Sadly the black piece of plastic turned out to be the cover for the oil filter element. Access was absolute shite, luckily I was just able to get my filter removal tool in as I couldn’t unscrew it by hand. 
3DC4B233-9F3C-4E3D-A011-4B8AC3EA4157.thumb.jpeg.adaa350ba50f1ab19265dc8aa3ee78bf.jpeg

New filter, old filter and last nights tea all in one picture. The new filter came with the two new seals needed to make the cover leak free. 

Things weren’t down hill when I tried to remove the sump plug. My Lidl impact gun, and T bar smacked with a mallet would touch it. I even tried my trick of sticking a jack under the T bar, all this did was deform the head even though I was using a six sided socket. You can see the problem in the picture as the plug has ‘GM’ stamped on it and as the saying goes all Vauxhalls are shite. 

81DEACEB-ED25-40F8-80F6-551DE298B85E.thumb.jpeg.8e4fdbb18420f6531e5e721ae2d3a42d.jpeg

I gave up and used a hand pump through the dipstick tube. Annoyingly enough this was really thin so I had to use a piece of fish tank air tubing. As you can imagine it took a lot of pumping and time but I managed to get the old oil out and fresh oil in. 

On 4/27/2022 at 10:27 PM, rainagain said:

That's exactly what I'll be doing to mine tomorrow,. Is it just a case of popping it out the trim, splitting it and wazzing some contact cleaner in there?

6 hours ago, Spiny Norman said:

That's exactly what I'll be doing to mine tomorrow,. Is it just a case of popping it out the trim, splitting it and wazzing some contact cleaner in there?

Yep, contact cleaner and a wee cloth. Be careful though as the silver side clips are very fiddly. 

7 hours ago, Spiny Norman said:

If you don't get any joy, I bought a cheapo replacement from the bay for about £15 and I've got full mirror capability again. 

It's a really nasty bit of GM design, that switch. 

Managed to pull it out and clean it but still isn't 100%. All the new switches I see on eBay don't have the button for the nearside dip-on-reverse but I'd never use that so I'll just get the standard one. Far easier to remove from the housing than I imagined though, might be a shit switch but it's an easy swap.