Yellow Lights.

j-j

Hi all, thousands of years ago someone on here was selling the yellow, glass covers for H4 bulbs for proppa old skool French style lights. Stupidly, I bought only one (to make the pair) from the member and now one has broken and I'd like to replace it. Who was it!!?? I'm sorry - forgot who had them. If you're still on here and have them left, I'd like another few this time.Otherwise, anyone recall who it was?May have also been on Ret Rides but can't recall.Thanks doods and dudettes.

LIFE SAVER!!!Apologies for forgetting your name - I simply couldn't recall who it had been :oops: Yes, I'll take a few, I'll PM you It was the old one that broke (it came on a bulb already but was the removable type) I still have the other glass cover from Andrew the first time round.It's my fault it broke - they'd been both sitting attached to a pair of bulbs in the glove box in a bulb box but without the box's holders (don't fit when the yellow cover is attached) and I'd been slamming the glove box closed after bending the catch accidently and trying to bend it back - I never got it quite right and it took a slam to shut the thing - this took its toll on the 2 bulbs.....

Yes, these yellow covers are "selective yellow" in colour, which is the original colour of French headlights before 1996, and are made of glass. they have a small metal clip, which clips over the lip on the H4 halogen bulbs. Although all H4 bulbs are basically the same, if you're using these covers you need to use the H4 bulbs with a small "lip", over which the yellow cover clips.I've long been an exponent of yellow headlights, and fit them as a matter of course to all cars I own or service, where possible. They are totally legal and make other drivers notice you, which is why in urban driving, you put your lights on anyway. They are definitely better in foggy or misty weather and in the recent snowy spell they excelled. I will concede that the overall amount of light produced is fractionally less, but I prefer them. Incidentally, if you drive in France using these lights the French will hoot with appreciation-it's a sort of anti E.U. thing!

I've long been an exponent of yellow headlights, and fit them as a matter of course to all cars I own or service, where possible. They are totally legal and make other drivers notice you, which is why in urban driving, you put your lights on anyway. They are definitely better in foggy or misty weather and in the recent snowy spell they excelled. I will concede that the overall amount of light produced is fractionally less, but I prefer them.

Ha! it seems we have a similar take on lighting!I like them too - not just cos they look cool but also because I support the 'dipped beam all the time' approach - less excuse for the moronz to 'not see you' (like the über-spazz in a fiesta this afternoon) - it also helps the hard of seeing spot you coming when they're trying to cross the street and as a cyclist, I find cars with their lights on much easier to spot when you're trying to look everywhere at once at a junction.Only thing against the yellows is that I find them less effective on unlit country A roads unless the main beam is on.

Can i ask if i fit Yellow bulbs to my 1989 25 turbo in the U.K legally??

Yep, they're legal in the uk though you'll find that people will go out of their way to 'inform' you that they're illegal - just throw a filing cabinet at them. I was stopped one morning back in 2007 at 5am by an overzealous WPC in a police van asking if I "thought it was acceptable what 'I'd done' to the lights...." - I told her she was wrongville and she actually, insisted until I referred to them as 'selective Yellow' whereupon she backed down after hearing a 'proper' name.... she even had the cheek to order me the get it checked! Yea, so I will...Anyway, they're legal.As for main beam? if you have H4 bulbs surely the dipped and main are from the one bulb?

Dear 25v6Turbo,Don't worry about the legal implications, these covers are legal, I assure you! The law on dipped beam lights is that both bulbs must be of the same colour and brightness; i.e. both white or both yellow. The main beams must also be of the same brightness and colour as each other, but do NOT have to be the same colour or brightness as the dipped beam bulbs. For example, any car with a 4 headlight arrangement (Rover 2000, FSO 125p etc.) can have the outer 2 lights fitted with yellow bulbs, for dipped and main beam and the inner 2 lights with white bulbs, for main beam.Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm. I'm thinking yellow would work very well with a certain brown Renault...

You know it's right!! Also, they're not as bad on unlit country roads on dipped as I recall - or maybeez my sight got better in the last year (unlikely) Bonus FX: makes the road signs light up yellow - bet that confuses the shite out of other drivers!

Hmmm. I'm thinking yellow would work very well with a certain brown Renault...

You know it's right!! Also, they're not as bad on unlit country roads on dipped as I recall - or maybeez my sight got better in the last year (unlikely) Bonus FX: makes the road signs light up yellow - bet that confuses the shite out of other drivers!
Yeah, and the front numberplates of cars coming the other way. I'm also liking the way I get rows of yellow cat's eyes in the centre of the road ahead 8) Cheers,Mark.

While we're at it, I have a large number of what I'd call "ordinary" non-halogen yellow headlights. These are the old type, which have a circular fitting with a lug to locate it correctly in the lens unit. These are rated at 45 watt main beam and 40 watt dipped beam. If anyone wants some of these, please contact me to discuss. Although I use these in my Wartburg car I should make it clear that they are only suitable for headlight units that normally take the earlier (non-halogen) bulbs.