Cars, Lasses and Lads - A Photo Sharing Thread

Dick Longbridge

10 hours ago, Popsicle said:

I'm sat in the study/office squinting at the screen looking at the second picture trying to work out the logo on the steering wheel, Mrs Popsicle walks in calls me a filthy bastard and storms out. No loving for me later...........

Good job she didn't walk in earlier when I was getting aroused over the Dolomite for sale 😂.

Bentley.

On 7/24/2022 at 11:37 AM, martc said:

I agree many boots did have bottom hinges - often Austin products. But its no excuse for such a poor design, before gas struts expanding metal rods were used which locked in place when extended. In 1953 Morris, Austins BMC bedfellow, managed it - the Minor and Oxford for example hinged from the top -

image.png.820410c830b9797a7102b4fca418e0f0.png

Quality feature indeed. Over at Rootes, the Minx's boot hinged correctly, the following shot shows the metal rod arrangement -

image.png.9cdaca64a6227c09136e1490489629bd.png

Vulgalours much lauded Lanchester 10 'old when new' has a boot opening in the correct orientation.

image.png.e2d084ba62183a8096d380b964a1b9fd.png

No, hinging from the bottom is just lazy, and probably more importantly cheap. It is not convenient to the customer - very poor access and easy water ingress particularly when open but I'm not sure there was much consideration of the customers requirements back then.

Perhaps it was a hang over from dicky seats?