Cars, Lasses and Lads - A Photo Sharing Thread

Dick Longbridge

1 hour ago, martc said:

image.png.f808221e8f43bceae7cd22525bc5d76b.png

image.png.53b2a28a67b41941a548023646dac27e.png

image.png.7cd823d9e6b9138518ec7da777e4d222.png

image.png.83fedaebdc8318cd5af20aafc681b7e0.png

In another post , someone claimed the Imp was superior to the Mini of the same age.

I accept it had a better engine and possibly better built ( well not as badly anyway), but better handling was claimed. 
I thought this was the Mini’s strongest point whereas the rear engine design of the Imp was hardly conducive for great handling.

Never driven either, so can anyone enlighten me?

7 hours ago, Metal Guru said:

In another post , someone claimed the Imp was superior to the Mini of the same age.

I accept it had a better engine and possibly better built ( well not as badly anyway), but better handling was claimed. 
I thought this was the Mini’s strongest point whereas the rear engine design of the Imp was hardly conducive for great handling.

Never driven either, so can anyone enlighten me?

While the Imp engine was advanced for the time being aluminium with an overhead camshaft, they seemed to have problems at times with overheating.

I've heard it took a long time for Rootes to get build quality of the Imp to an acceptable standard, mostly due to a lot of the workforce being trained as ship builders & taking time to adjust to car assembly.

I imagine on average the built quality was similar to the Mini, which also had initial production problems but seemed to shake these off better than the Imp.