Cars, Lasses and Lads - A Photo Sharing Thread

Dick Longbridge

On 12/4/2022 at 11:56 PM, Metal Guru said:

Very early photoshop. There’s at least 40 people. Given it looks like war years and even if they may have only been 8 st each , that’s still 2 tons, which would have crushed that suspension.

Apparently this was what those crazy folks at Auto Union did to test body strength and "safety " in the 1930s. 

Here they are at it again with an Audi 920.

Germans,  what are they like?

body_strength_of_audi_920_autojosh_3.jpg

2 hours ago, J R Hartley said:

Apparently this was what those crazy folks at Auto Union did to test body strength and "safety " in the 1930s. 

Looks like  VAG ( I know) were faking tests even back then . That car is standing as if it is empty, no compression of the springs at all. With all that weight on it , it should at least be sitting very low on the suspension even if they took the photo in the 3 seconds before it collapsed completely.

Also presumably it was made with a separate chassis and body and hence the roof would not have been very strong either.

16 hours ago, J R Hartley said:

13 hours ago, Metal Guru said:

Looks like  VAG ( I know) were faking tests even back then . That car is standing as if it is empty, no compression of the springs at all. With all that weight on it , it should at least be sitting very low on the suspension even if they took the photo in the 3 seconds before it collapsed completely.

Also presumably it was made with a separate chassis and body and hence the roof would not have been very strong either.

Look between the front wheels and you can see they have supported the chassis. Possibly the rear supports are obscured.

6 hours ago, MiniMinorMk3 said:

Look between the front wheels and you can see they have supported the chassis. Possibly the rear supports are obscured.

As I said, VAG ( or their predecessors) were cheating on tests even back then, but I suppose compared to what else was happening in Germany in the 30s it’s pretty insignificant.