Cars, Lasses and Lads - A Photo Sharing Thread

Dick Longbridge

1 hour ago, Dick Longbridge said:

This guy has every right to park defensively. What a hero. Infinitely cooler than the morbidly obese SYOUVEES wobbling around the rest of the car park too. 

FB_IMG_1658002428836.jpg

vehicle not found on DVLA database? You know who to call....

Ah, VXI 976

Have a 60's, 70's and 80's hat trick on me

The Animals, publicity shot at the time of the 'British Invasion', San Francisco, 1964ish.  Presumably looking for the House of the Rising Sun or rifling through unlocked cars for loose change...

animals.jpg.6077aad3bae9dc7618007d71f5c7aa73.jpg

70's - Officers Starsky and Hutch looking for a pile of cardboard boxes to drive through.  Even nitpicky, pedantic seven-year-old me could never understand why two cops who spent a lot of their time doing investigative work, presumably undercover would use such a recognisable vehicle, but the that's why I don't write TV programmes.

2016-11-02_05-20-18-640x427.jpg.f0ca50cc4c629a2502a117f10b1f5488.jpg

1980 - Hazel O' Connor and Janine Duvitski on location filming 'Breaking Glass'.  A film packed with chod, and an expose of the music industry.  Don't look at the fuel price on the pump, it'll only upset you.

1168818811_Breaking-Glass-janinepetrol.jpg.0c405a34c417043f6950fd8a767f9b12.jpg

14 hours ago, egg said:

vehicle not found on DVLA database? You know who to call....

Ah, VXI 976

I didn't think that they used the letter I in UK? I saw another car with  a similar plate yesterday and was confused

15 minutes ago, DSdriver said:

Folklore says that there is a veteran van at the bottom of a dene hole at Detling with the registration TIN 1

I can actually believe that one! I think I've mentioned it before, my grandad worked on a farm in Kent and when we were up there in the summer hols we were told in no uncertain terms to stay away from the farm's Dene Hole.

29 minutes ago, DSdriver said:

I didn't think that they used the letter I in UK? I saw another car with  a similar plate yesterday and was confused

21 minutes ago, egg said:

All I can say is the DVLA do recognise that number!

its a northern Ireland number where I and Z are part of the location markers and sometimes I is used in the serial letter as well

XI is a Belfast marker for example 

when the time came and they ran out of location markers to issue in 1966, rather then adopt the suffix system like we did, Northern Ireland just used and do still indeed use an extension of the original 1904 system, similar to our 1932 extension from when England ran out of location markers, but they kept the marks 4 numbers in length so it went from 2 and 4, to 3 and 4 rather (then 2 and 4 to 3 and 3 it was here), therefor giving them many more marks to play with, and even today only the some locations are finally at Yxx-xxxx where I imagine they will reverse the mark to xxxx-AXX, but that remains to be seen!

1 hour ago, Three Speed said:

I wasn’t aware that San Francisco had so many Fiats in the 60s. And no American iron in the shot. I suspect that photo may have been  taken in that Europe?

You are completely correct, upon a second look the billboard in the background is advertising La Mentirosa a 1942 Spanish film. I would think therefore Italy/Spain. If I was inclined, I would contact the website that I borrowed the image from. 

I have some musically/teenage angst themed piccies for your delectation.

First, probably been done at least once on these 69 pages, but worth it for the parade of chod in the background:

quadrophenia-mods.gif.0db62ddac535c1a52ad08ac8fb22ac12.gif

Secondly, Brixton's own David Jones probably explaining to the cameraman that there was a Starman in the sky and he'd like to come and meet you, but he thinks he'd blow our minds, etc...

David-Bowie-1977.thumb.jpg.f14be4c317ffbc8298164e49dacad496.jpg

Thirdly, the cover from Mark Knopfler's album, 'Privateering'.  LDV Convoy lickers (are there any even on here?) brace yourselves!

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.5ce3dd385ed4c668fc593b8b6c0625be.jpg

20 minutes ago, CaptainBoom said:

I have some musically/teenage angst themed piccies for your delectation.

First, probably been done at least once on these 69 pages, but worth it for the parade of chod in the background:

quadrophenia-mods.gif.0db62ddac535c1a52ad08ac8fb22ac12.gif

Secondly, Brixton's own David Jones probably explaining to the cameraman that there was a Starman in the sky and he'd like to come and meet you, but he thinks he'd blow our minds, etc...

David-Bowie-1977.thumb.jpg.f14be4c317ffbc8298164e49dacad496.jpg

Thirdly, the cover from Mark Knopfler's album, 'Privateering'.  LDV Convoy lickers (are there any even on here?) brace yourselves!

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.5ce3dd385ed4c668fc593b8b6c0625be.jpg

And what an amazing line up of 1964 chod that was, also I never understood why they left that shot of the kid on a pushbike speeding past the camera car.