Barry Cade's Silver Dream Machine.

Barry Cade

The shite dry spell has ended, I have got back in the drivers seat of a cheap shonker, something I've been after for many years after driving one as an apprentice and deciding "one day"

No collekshun Fred, as I just nipped up the road to buy it,as the previous buyer didn't appear and I was next in line.

230 auto supercharged .. long MOT and fsh! I did break my normal shitey budget,but not by much..

Problems so far.. abs/esp lights on.. needs an abs ring 

Headlights are badly condensated..  Tadts..

Front bumper corner brackets u/s .Tadts..

A brake light bulb was out..

Aircon empty..

some small blebs.  Tadts.

And that seems to be it 😲

And yes, the roof works perfectly.. it was trust in Benz that made me press the button in the middle of a storm.. phew..

20220217_114233.thumb.jpg.d2c7d3f07193d2027d187f7ab92c31f8.jpg

1 minute ago, SRi05 said:

Lovely. I liked the forum bike one I had but the non adjustable steering wheel was a right PITA, couldn't get properly comfortable in it. Yours will probably have one though, think it was just the early R and S plate ones that didn't have it. Would have another 

Yup, steering wheel goes in and out, but not up and down. Luckily I'm Benz shaped..  we have hols in August, it may be going to Monaco 😆

Just now, Barry Cade said:

Yup, steering wheel goes in and out, but not up and down. Luckily I'm Benz shaped..  we have hols in August, it may be going to Monaco 😆

I couldn't get my arms properly straight, and my right knee always hit against the wheel going from accelerator to brake.  Head pretty much touched the roof lining as well. The CLK was more suited to my bulky needs 😂

1 hour ago, SRi05 said:

I couldn't get my arms properly straight, and my right knee always hit against the wheel going from accelerator to brake.  Head pretty much touched the roof lining as well. The CLK was more suited to my bulky needs 😂

I don't find driving with my arms straight at all comfortable, I like a bit of a bend to the relaxed position.

2 hours ago, Neil clark said:

I had a 230 auto in same colour. Lovely lovely car. The micro switches can get stuck in roof panel and need a jiggle, ask me how I know......

Seemingly they have a habit of blowing the hydraulic lines in the roof, showering you,and the interior in high pressure fluid... 😟

3 hours ago, HillmanImp said:

Might have a nuclear winter the way things are going.

10,000C sunrise, 3000C afterglow; SPF Ginger not adequate, SPF Welder's Helmet and Boilersuit required. Taps Aff as it's called in Weegieland.

NSR ABS ring fixxd.  EML,ABS,ESP and BAS now working, as is the cruise.. its gained a Hell of a lot of power too 😀

Lights all sorted, so now the number of warning lights showing after start is 0..

The shaft was well stuck in the hub, so a lot of bangin ensued. Nipped to Halfords as I couldn't find my 30mm 16 point socket, so purchased moar Coppaslip and lathered it everywhere.

I'm liking this!

A few days in so far and no surprises. Stuck a more modern stereo in so I can listen to music on a stick, wired in a feed for my sat nav as I HATE cables.. took off the strengthening bars off the back and hit them with the wire wheel of death and slapped on some paint. Derusted some bits and properly stared at the rear subframe for a bit.. its actually not bad at all! Booked to get a regas on the aircon this weekend, I hit the compressor with 12v and it works, so we shall see if it "just needs a regas mate"... needs 4 tyres too, they are legal but old, and pretty cracked.. I HATE Continentals for this too. They are pretty hard and dried out, the traction control goes apeshit if I give it shoe.

Avons seem to be decently priced, but I will have to overcome my distrust of them , Uniroyals are next in line.. can't decide....

• Barry Cade changed the title to Silver.Limp.Krusty.

Spent some time with Dalek 134a this afternoon.. held solid vacuum for 20 mins, took 30ml of PAG, .85kg of refrigerant and compressor clutched into life 🙂

Just needed a regas mate!

Nipped past my sisters earlier, who seemed might impressed wee brother has a "posh" midlife crisis car 😆. Went to show her the SLK party piece and... nothing. Well, apart from a few beeps..

After a few mins of a total anti climax, pressing buttons and " well what is it supposed to do?.. I remembered I hadn't pulled the boot screen back after taking all my tools out. 😖

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Bolleux.. aircon died... 

Compressor still running, system is gas tight and up to pressure, but no cold  a lot of learning has been done the past few days, and I find out it has a variable swash plate compressor, which adjusts output according to demand. Well, demand was high cos it was hot, and output was fuck all. 

Ripped out the compressor and found someone has chucked 11 gallons of UV dye in it at some point,  which has clogged the control valve screen in the compressor so no adjustment. 

Found a low .mileage Chrysler crossfire compressor cheap on Ebay so it's on it's way.. 

Meanwhile..

20220602_164231.thumb.jpg.3577fe7bcbd8961a871934486751adcd.jpg

20220602_164550.thumb.jpg.6f2632e2c342e081f014bf4739a2ed7c.jpg

20220602_164843.jpg

• Barry Cade changed the title to Barry Cade's Silver Dream Machine.
  • 2 weeks later...