Buttons you never press

warch

3 hours ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Front fogs ..... 

Used them twice in my time driving (couldn't see beyond the end of the car bonnet at the time). Only time I've had them on is if it's sitting parked for a picture and I want to "add" to the photograph.

27 minutes ago, Spiny Norman said:

Front fogs are useful for illuminating the road surface just in front of the car so you can try and avoid the worst of the craters.

Are they bollocks, unless you are driving at 5mph, fog lights do a great job of marking out the bellends to the rest of us.

2 hours ago, Jazoli said:

Are they bollocks, unless you are driving at 5mph, fog lights do a great job of marking out the bellends to the rest of us.

I really don't know what your problem is but that's twice you've drawn attention to yourself as being an utter prick on this thread.
Do you really feel the need to  have a go at anyone whose view you disagree with in such an aggressive manner? This is supposed to be a light hearted bit of banter FFS, if you want to be an arse go and do it on the politics section.

FWIW rear fogs may dazzle you but fronts aimed correctly would only dazzle you if you're lying on the floor, and are far less intense than the LED DRLs most moderns have on all the time.

49 minutes ago, bangernomics said:

There’s a button on the b pillar in the polo that I’m not sure what it’s for?

If it's the same as the one in my Skoda, it disables interior scanning and tow protection on the alarm, for when the car needs recovering. With the driver's door open, press it and then get out and lock the car to do the deed.

On 2/12/2022 at 4:59 PM, Missy Charm said:

Whenever I press one of my car's black controls,  which are labelled with black text on a black background, a small black light lights up to tell me that I've done it.  

On a serious note: the cabin air recirculator  button.  What's the point?  

Planning a drive into the sun? Recirc is for driving in dusty conditions, through smoke, going past something smelly or if there's a dizzler belching clag in front and you cannot pass.

43 minutes ago, Patent said:

That dial in the glove box that lets you pump A/C air in to keep your Fanta Lemon cold in the summer.

Never remember about it at all until the middle of winter when you need to look in the manual and the folio has delaminated because of the 30 degree heat pumping in for the last three months

What cars get that? Never seen it.

1 hour ago, Spiny Norman said:

FWIW rear fogs may dazzle you but fronts aimed correctly would only dazzle you if you're lying on the floor, and are far less intense than the LED DRLs most moderns have on all the time.

But front fogs are designed to not do that? They have a wide beam that aim across the front with no cut-off. Unsurprisingly it's quite clearly stated that they shouldn't be used unless in low visibility situations. Mostly because they are dazzling when used in non foggy conditions.

Thankfully my modern daily driver is equipped with both front fogs and LED headlights that I can equally dazzle oncoming fuckwits that decide to drive with fogs and sides.

44 minutes ago, Spurious said:

TRAFFIC MASTER. LICENCE. EXPIRED 

Honestly was it ever popular? 

My Irish C5 had it too as well as the Xantia. And I think the one I swapped to @dollywobblerhad it too... 

maybe if you were a high flying business man up and down motorways? Would love it if it worked again, I should call the number 🧐

On 2/13/2022 at 5:40 AM, MorrisItalSLX said:

The dash lighting rheostat got turned up to full the first time I drove at night and has never been touched since.

Also, can anyone explain the purpose of the economy air conditioning button found in 80s and 90s Toyotas? As far as I can work out it turns on the power sapping compressor and provides no cold air whatsoever.

AAB101EA-7816-4985-BF75-C87FF80A46E4.thumb.jpeg.1dfaa074e7786d1a5cf77456973ed9b5.jpeg

My Carina II has the A/C and ECON buttons but no compressor or any evidence that it was fitted with air conditioning besides the two non-functioning buttons.

13 hours ago, somewhatfoolish said:

Planning a drive into the sun? Recirc is for driving in dusty conditions, through smoke, going past something smelly or if there's a dizzler belching clag in front and you cannot pass.

What cars get that? Never seen it.

I like the smell of exhaust fumes and smoke.  In fact I do smoke, it's more fun than breathing air.

14 hours ago, Metal Guru said:

But no RAV4 has EVER been off road .

I’d normally agree, but a few years ago I was parking my rental car on a field adjacent to a swap meet in Canada, when another visitor in a RAV4 decided to cut across the verge of the main road instead of using the normal entrance.

It looked deceptively flat as it was grass all the way, but there was a good two and a half feet soft drop into the field. Solid THUNK as the suspension bottomed out, but it made it unscathed.

18 hours ago, Spiny Norman said:

fronts aimed correctly

Front fogs aren't usually adjustable ...but the headlights are....that's another button/knob that it seems like a lot of people don't know what it's for ....

Highway Code;

You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.