Buttons you never press

warch

9 minutes ago, Crackers said:

Why not, may I ask? Unlike a lot of "features", A/C is one that actively improves interior conditions in pretty much any circumstance and can also have a safety benefit too.

Disagree strongly. I hate breathing 'conditioned' air in any environment and always have a window open regardless of the weather. I don't really think the climate in Scotland requires AC.
What's the safety benefit meant to be, out of interest?

4 minutes ago, Spiny Norman said:

Disagree strongly. I hate breathing 'conditioned' air in any environment and always have a window open regardless of the weather. I don't really think the climate in Scotland requires AC.

Much better at quickly preventing windows fogging, which can't always be solved immediately by whacking the heater up. 

Edited to add - in the same vein as you don't like breathing conditioned air, I get extremely uncomfortable in a hot car. I very rarely have any form of heat on, so much prefer to use AC to demist.

Just now, Spiny Norman said:

Visibility (demist). And potentially driver fatigue. Certainly true in my case - driving with window open would make me tired and probably give me a stiff neck/shoulder.

We're all different I guess but I can't be without AC now. The relief on a hot day is palpable and it's generally more economical to travel with AC on than window open. 

Just waiting for someone to pop up saying they never use the cruise control as they'd rather be 'in control' when what they really mean is they can't actually drive that well and can't handle the car assisting them as it messes with their head.

I never use the button to change radio station as I never ever listen to radio.

1 hour ago, Spiny Norman said:

When I was driving my new* 27 year old Volvo home last month in the rain, I inadvertently hit the sunroof button while hitting random buttons to see what they all did. Not only did it open, but it closed again afterwards. I call that a WIN.

Buttons I never use?

ewscripps.brightspotcdn.com.jpg
I've never taken to AC in a car and in the unlikely event of anything I buy with it working it'll be broken by the time I sell it because I won't have switched it on the entire time I've owned the car.

My 'brand new' Pug van @WVM obv had PenguinsNads A/C.

Hated it! Awful 'cotton mouth' dried air (same problem I had standing in server enclosures)..... Meh 🤐

4 hours ago, Missy Charm said:

Also on Fords: nobody ever uses the steering column mounted remote controls for the radio.  To use them requires one to take one's hand off the wheel so, having done so, one may as well use the controls on the radio itself.  Pointless

I used to use them when I had a Focus.  Good for changing volume or moving to next track on a CD.

Replaced that car with a 2017 V40 which has about twenty buttons on the steering wheel and I only know what three of them do.

5 hours ago, Missy Charm said:

On a serious note: the cabin air recirculator  button.  What's the point?

3 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

When you're queued behind something belching out partially-burnt oil or diesel you'll find it very useful.

Also I always use it when going through long tunnels such as Blackwall, Dartford & Rotherhythe. Was also useful the other week on M25 when a pickup towing a Land Rover caught fire...

LRfire.thumb.jpg.168a040e5a21ae5839a3dfd43db69795.jpg

The dash lighting rheostat got turned up to full the first time I drove at night and has never been touched since.

Also, can anyone explain the purpose of the economy air conditioning button found in 80s and 90s Toyotas? As far as I can work out it turns on the power sapping compressor and provides no cold air whatsoever.

AAB101EA-7816-4985-BF75-C87FF80A46E4.thumb.jpeg.1dfaa074e7786d1a5cf77456973ed9b5.jpeg

Indeed, on cars that old 'economy' is off, as far as I know.

Both our cars, the Skoda and Suzuki have an eco mode on the climate control - where it still aims for the right temperature on a hot day, but a bit more loosely. I did try it, it makes the cabin a little less comfortable with no noticeable effect on economy.

3 hours ago, twosmoke300 said:

Econ is basically Ac off .

46 minutes ago, Sham said:

Indeed, on cars that old 'economy' is off, as far as I know.

That’s where I get a bit confused, as far as I’m aware:

This is A/C on,

EDB8951D-629B-479D-B95D-04C5B581F35A.thumb.jpeg.3562b9360ef2d5b5c63bf02eda81c24e.jpeg

This is A/C off,

30F13B34-D8EC-4C85-8D6F-1C4AE04C4345.thumb.jpeg.8a120e7e2221549d644e908525fcd292.jpeg

And this is a complete mystery.

EB69C4FC-BC11-4F9F-A2C1-70C9ADA9C672.thumb.jpeg.910de4c67716efd2e808e5c93344c6fd.jpeg

1 hour ago, templeoffire said:

My Xantia has a Traffic Master button I never use, when i do press it a very posh woman tells me my subscription has expired, sometimes it malfuntions and starts counting down from 10 to 0. 

Oddly Ive missed the random announcements from this posh lady in our old Xantia

5 minutes ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Front fogs ..... 

It seems like some .... a lot of fucktards seem to know or accidentally turn the fkin front fogs ... and rear fogs on ... but seem to have an aneurysm that makes them forget where the button is to turn the fkin things off again 😡

Front fogs + sidelights = wanker