Norwegian tat (cars for sale in Norway)

Dyslexic Viking

1988 Suzuki SJ with only 134,000km 2800 pounds. Vans and pickups like this show up every now and then here. They were often bought new by a sensible old farmer or similar who took good care of it and drove it little so they survive in good condition.Galleribilde

Galleribilde

Galleribilde

Galleribilde

https://www.finn.no/car/used/ad.html?finnkode=270240145

1980 Volvo 244DL diesel 589.000km these have the same diesel engine as the VW LT vans so 6 cyl. I have always thought that these engines were an idiotic choice by Volvo as the main purpose of a diesel is fuel economy and this is a bit ruined with a 6 cyl van/truck engine. But I would still have had one and this one is non-turbo so 82 horsepower. 3500 pounds.

Galleribilde

Galleribilde

Galleribilde

Galleribilde

Galleribilde

Galleribilde

Galleribilde

https://www.finn.no/car/used/ad.html?finnkode=271066632

I have been watching the Norwegian series ‘State of Happiness’ (Lykkeland) - about the early days of the North Sea oil business - on BBC 4 and there are some superb period cars featuring in it.

My favourite so far is a circa 1966 Opel Kapitan in a gorgeous metallic blue. 

Several other Opels appear -so I take it they were popular in Norway, perhaps because they were more affordable than Volvo/Saab? Or maybe they have just survived better than other models?

I also spied some Bedford trucks, and some very nice American cars. 

Opel sold well here but has died off in the last 15 years. And quite a few have survived. And they were cheaper than more expensive brands such as Volvo Opel was similar to Ford in price level. But they were good cars in the lower price segment in the 50s, 60s and 70s why anyone bought a Beetle when you could buy an Opel Kadett I have never understood.

Bedford and American cars were also very common back in the day. So it sounds like that series got the cars right.

Great thread by the way, with a great selection of vehicles. 

Loving the oddities like Vauxhall Victors and Morris Marinas, but my favourite has to be the Volvo PVs.

The one at the top of page 5 is absolutely fantastic, although the pale green 62 model further down the page is probably more useable as a daily - without worrying about scratches and paint chips, I’d be afraid of taking the top one out. 

9 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

The one at the top of page 5 is absolutely fantastic, although the pale green 62 model further down the page is probably more useable as a daily - without worrying about scratches and paint chips, I’d be afraid of taking the top one out.

I totally agree and that's what I like about my old Mercedes also that it's not perfect so can use it and not be afraid of scratches etc. 

13 hours ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

1980 Volvo 244DL diesel 589.000km these have the same diesel engine as the VW LT vans so 6 cyl. I have always thought that these engines were an idiotic choice by Volvo as the main purpose of a diesel is fuel economy and this is a bit ruined with a 6 cyl van/truck engine. But I would still have had one and this one is non-turbo so 82 horsepower. 3500 pounds.

In much of Europe at the time diesel fuel at the pump was very cheap. They aren't the most fuel efficient engines but likely more fuel efficient than a carb fed petrol 240. 

6 hours ago, Lacquer Peel said:

In much of Europe at the time diesel fuel at the pump was very cheap. They aren't the most fuel efficient engines but likely more fuel efficient than a carb fed petrol 240. 

That's right, diesel has been cheaper than petrol here also. And they are probably more fuel efficient than carbureted engines as you say, it doesn't get any better with the fact that many early 240s had very low ratio on the rear axle and only had a 4 speed gearbox. The 1982 244DL carburettor engined I owned was like this and at 80kmh (50mph) the engine screamed away at almost 3000rpm.

• 2 weeks later...

There is something strange in Norway now, as throughout the summer there have been unusually many Opel Asconas from the 1980s coming for sale, I don't know why.

This is the last one an that is proper pension spec and the first owner was so tight that he didn't even buy a radio.  1983 Opel Ascona with 1,3 engine and only 79,000km 3058 pounds

Galleribilde

Galleribilde

Galleribilde

Galleribilde

Galleribilde

Galleribilde

https://www.finn.no/car/used/ad.html?finnkode=274465919