Transit Jumbo Camper capers…SOLD M8

JJ0063

12 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

I don’t know whether there’s a way to rig our solar setup, up to the starter battery - probably is. We have 3 big panels which run our 4 leisure batteries. 

It’s something to consider but the starter battery going flat has only happened recently because of lack of use, I’ll have to look at options if it becomes a regular occurance.

A healthy battery should be fine for a few weeks unless there is a parasitic drain somewhere. How infrequent is your usage at the mo?

As you say, disconnecting it is the key thing to longer term storage.  We left our last two cars (at different points) off the road for 3 and 4 months respectively and they both fired up on the button when we reconnected the batteries.  

A battery cut off switch under the dashboard or in the engine bay wouldn’t be a bad shout - cheaper than a trickle charger. 

21 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

I don’t know whether there’s a way to rig our solar setup, up to the starter battery - probably is. We have 3 big panels which run our 4 leisure batteries. 

It’s something to consider but the starter battery going flat has only happened recently because of lack of use, I’ll have to look at options if it becomes a regular occurance.

Bloody hell, that's a mobile power station!Would think it'd be easy to rig something up to charge the vehicle battery. Don't think the controllers are too expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

Right it looks as though we’re losing the storage for this as ambers friend who we were keeping it with has broken up with her partner so is moving off the farm it’s kept on. FFS

It’s pretty much sealed my decision to sell it, as I mentioned before I wasn’t entirely comfortable so I’ve agreed to tax it and collect it at the start of Feb. It can come home get cleaned out and sold. 

3 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

Right it looks as though we’re losing the storage for this as ambers friend who we were keeping it with has broken up with her partner so is moving off the farm it’s kept on. FFS

It’s pretty much sealed my decision to sell it, as I mentioned before I wasn’t entirely comfortable so I’ve agreed to tax it and collect it at the start of Feb. It can come home get cleaned out and sold. 

Just realised I actually bought it a year ago on 6th Feb so my insurance will run out then - probably best for me to nip and collect it ASAP and try to get shot and save renewing the insurance.

I bet I’ve not done 1500 miles since the MOT, do I sell it with MOT until June or stick it in and hope for the best? 

17 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

Just realised I actually bought it a year ago on 6th Feb so my insurance will run out then - probably best for me to nip and collect it ASAP and try to get shot and save renewing the insurance.

I bet I’ve not done 1500 miles since the MOT, do I sell it with MOT until June or stick it in and hope for the best? 

You hundred percent sure on this? You were so into the lifestyle and getting away when you wanted. Don't act too quick and live to regret it. Have you had a look at how much secure storage on a proper caravan and camper storage site is? I mean, I doubt it's cheap, but I gather the both of you love this old thing and the opportunities it affords you. Be a real shame pal if it comes to this

1 minute ago, Matty said:

You hundred percent sure on this? You were so into the lifestyle and getting away when you wanted. Don't act too quick and live to regret it. Have you had a look at how much secure storage on a proper caravan and camper storage site is? I mean, I doubt it's cheap, but I gather the both of you love this old thing and the opportunities it affords you. Be a real shame pal if it comes to this

Yeah we have had a good chat and to be honest ever since we’ve moved I’ve just not felt happy with having it away from home. Storage is £600 a year, just can’t justify it.

Even Mrs JJ said tonight that it’s not the same like this - having it on the drive gives you the opportunity to spontaneously jump in and go, with it being kept elsewhere you have to plan, or load the car up and collect it then go. 

I think ultimately I’ve got a couple of options - I either sell this and understand that we’ve had our fun with it but unfortunately life means now isn’t the right time for another one and that’s that. 

Or, and this is an option I’m quite keen on exploring further is sell this, sell the scirocco then I’ve got a decent wedge of cash.. something like a VW T5 with a pop top I could comfortably daily and have the best of both worlds. Something that is modern enough to be comfortable, have air con etc yet still have the functionality of a camper. 

I know I had the bad experience with the T4 but I think something modern is a different kettle of fish. I know a T5 is nice to drive, they get half decent MPG and small enough to dual purpose. 

It’s just an option at this stage but it’s stacking up. Im set on selling this as well as the Scirocco, I just don’t know what way I’ll go next - if that makes sense!

It will sell for more than you paid, but MOT wise, I'm not sure. Some  will buy regardless.  Someone like me would ask you to MOT it.

Fail can be expensive.  Discs alone,  front or rear mean a fair bill.

Regarding the battery. You may find there are 2. But if you get it running it will be fine to sell.

Camping in a VW after a Transit may be something of a shock.

5 minutes ago, Mally said:

It will sell for more than you paid, but MOT wise, I'm not sure. Some  will buy regardless.  Someone like me would ask you to MOT it.

Regarding the battery. You may find there are 2. But if you get it running it will be fine to sell.

Can we not come to a compromise here? Let jj sell his. Weekends where you, ste and the kids aren't racing, let him borrow yours and chuck a mattress in the back. Job jobbed I'd reckon 😆

5 minutes ago, Mally said:

I’m tempted to MOT it, gives people confidence and it’s been driven so little I’m fairly confident it’d scrape through.

There are two batteries, pretty sure it just needs a good run - it’s done about 20 miles since September!

Regarding the value, there seem to be similar self builds up for 12k which seems absolutely mental. I do however think we got it silly cheap.. tempted to try £8000 with a view to taking £6500-£7000. I reckon the right person would pay that. 

Last Xmas we did a trip to wales in a VW T6 with a pop top and it was fine, not the same but its a compromise of having freedom and a daily driver so it’s at least an option to explore.

14 minutes ago, Mally said:

Very much this. I have my big boxer camper, and a T6 with a camper interior because the boxer won't always get where I want and I have the T6 as a work van so it might as well have a bed in it as well. I drive the T6 daily, it's ace really - comfy, plenty of room for normal use, fits in parking spaces, I can keep milk in the fridge etc.

But it really is so much more small and clumsy to camp in than a full size van, you've got to be so well organised. I took the dog with me, parked in a muddy field. She jumped in, treaded mud all over the bed, jumped down and knocked her water bowl over. Then I couldn't get in the cupboard with the towel in to mop the water up because the bed was down so I had to put the bed up and in doing that I stood in the bowl and knocked it over again, then nocked my phone and laptop off the end of the bed down the gap. 

After I mopped all the water up, I had to get my boots back on, go outside and open the tailgate (in the rain) to fish my phone and laptop out. Dog jumped back out and followed me, then jumped back in, treaded mud all over the bed.

Ten minutes later I got off the bed and nocked the dogs water bowl over again and got my last pair of dry socks wet through.

So what I'm saying is couldn't you just park the transit at the side of the road somewhere?

39 minutes ago, Matty said:

Can we not come to a compromise here? Let jj sell his. Weekends where you, ste and the kids aren't racing, let him borrow yours and chuck a mattress in the back. Job jobbed I'd reckon 😆

There's 2 double beds in ours now. I'll put a photo up soon.

Logic says I should buy his, but price, fuel costs,  and lack of parking at my local Sainsburys rule it out.

31 minutes ago, cobblers said:

Very much this. I have my big boxer camper, and a T6 with a camper interior because the boxer won't always get where I want and I have the T6 as a work van so it might as well have a bed in it as well. I drive the T6 daily, it's ace really - comfy, plenty of room for normal use, fits in parking spaces, I can keep milk in the fridge etc.

But it really is so much more small and clumsy to camp in than a full size van, you've got to be so well organised. I took the dog with me, parked in a muddy field. She jumped in, treaded mud all over the bed, jumped down and knocked her water bowl over. Then I couldn't get in the cupboard with the towel in to mop the water up because the bed was down so I had to put the bed up and in doing that I stood in the bowl and knocked it over again, then nocked my phone and laptop off the end of the bed down the gap. 

After I mopped all the water up, I had to get my boots back on, go outside and open the tailgate (in the rain) to fish my phone and laptop out. Dog jumped back out and followed me, then jumped back in, treaded mud all over the bed.

Ten minutes later I got off the bed and nocked the dogs water bowl over again and got my last pair of dry socks wet through.

So what I'm saying is couldn't you just park the transit at the side of the road somewhere?

That comes a very close second to the late Dave number's Pot Noodle.

52 minutes ago, cobblers said:

what I'm saying is couldn't you just park the transit at the side of the road somewhere?

Or just don't go camping cobblers lad. Sounds too much like hard work😄. The fuck am I saying, I was trying to encourage him to keep it half an hour ago!

Got it home, managed to squeeze it in the drive by parking it on the path, blocking the back gate and virtually touching the house 😂

I’ve since taken the end post/chain out so I can at least get the scirocco in and out still.

When I arrived at the van, it was frozen solid, the co2 alarm was going mad and the van battery was completely dead - I drained the old Noco battery pack trying to get it going then luckily one of the farmers turned up in a Sprinter and had jump leads.. even that took 15 mins connected to get enough juice to start it. 

Hoping the co2 alarm is just low batteries.

I’ve connected an Oxford motorcycle battery optimiser from out the lounge window into the van to try and get some life back into the starter battery. it says it can only charge up to 30ah batteries but it seems to be working so I’ll keep an eye on it!

66EDFE44-CA9B-4B37-9F82-35016B9CAF46.jpeg

Right now I’ve got the fucker home emptied it all out, dug a post out and squashed it up the corner that Mrs JJ will get home tonight and say it fits fine and she wants to keep it? 

(It’s going regardless)

can’t access the back garden and I’ve got to drive along the path to get the scirocco on the gravel but it’s in and I can still use my car 😂

A592D7CC-2BEB-4BE1-BEB9-C90270092470.jpeg

42050868-F4A2-4FA8-A4F8-7320665D977D.jpeg

407C4B41-5AF6-4218-BCC7-3B94D202CA31.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Dobloseven said:

Is the garage yours? 

Yup. The van fits JUST if I have the bonnet touching the garage door, doesn’t fit if I reverse it as it’s too tall and will hit the gutter. Looked awful there though as it completely overshadows the bungalow next doors kitchen window. The pics make the drive look longer but when the van is on, it looks from some angles as though it even overhangs the path slightly. I think because we’re a bit of a corner plot, it’s a bit deceptive 

4 minutes ago, Matty said:

Shame about it blocking access to the gate, otherwise I've said that fits a treat. Give it a few days, you might get used to the idea!

I’ve accepted it now, I am one of those people that once we’ve agreed on something, that’s it done - Amber is ok with the idea, it’s already sorn and my insurance runs out 6th Feb so it just makes sense to shift it now 

I’m pretty on board with the idea of then selling the scirocco and getting a T5 sized van with a pop top. It’ll be just one set of tax/insurance, something more economical for longer distance trips too. For how often we use it, I struggle to justify the expense of running 2 vehicles these days 

24 minutes ago, Mally said:

Err I thought the problem with the Transit was it didn't blend in?

I'd buy the Octopus though.

Nah it’s because it’s fucking massive, I don’t like fitting in 😂

The driveway isn’t really big enough to fit the transit, scirocco and the fiesta.. if I sell the scirocco and the transit I can replace them both with a daily driver sized camper… I don’t care about blending in at all, it’s physically fitting in that is a concern 😂

2 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

Nah it’s because it’s fucking massive, I don’t like fitting in 😂

I don’t care about blending in at all, it’s physically fitting in that is a concern 😂

There’s a big difference in practicality between an XLWB and LWB van, agreed. Our LWB Ducato fits in normal parking spaces (fairly close to the lines, mind) but anything longer would be so obnoxious and awkward that you’d need to avoid certain places. Hence we’ve just bought another LWB instead of upgrading to an L4 van!

A T5 would be great for your purposes, and would be able to fit under some of the less strict height limits.