Transit Jumbo Camper capers…SOLD M8

JJ0063

17 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

So after our trip away I decided to order some parts as the aux belt is chirping and it’s doing my head in. The tensioner looks as though it’s worn and WD40 only stopped the belt for a couple of mins then it started again. New belt and tensioner on its way.

There’s a common issue on the 2.4 where oil leaks from a gasket between the water pump and vacuum pump.. ours is leaking so whilst I’ve got the belt off I may as well just do it. New vacuum pump and gasket ordered. 

Other less important bits waiting for pay day…

C2E54967-F759-403A-9F03-C6E6B053B7D0.png

The side markers are not my favourite things but the Jumbo has 2 each side from factory, 2 of mine have missing covers and it’s either eBay specials or £40 each from Ford! 

Have you used the vactan before? Is it any good? I have the same stuff in my ebay basket. I wonder how much 1L would cover?

9 hours ago, dave j said:

Looks like a bargain!

That toilet takes up a lot of space so I can see the benefit of removing it .. but next time you need a pee at 4am when you are camping you might think different!

Thanks mate! Very happy with it. 

5 hours ago, 3VOM said:

Another reason for ramps. You don't want to park on an incline and find one part of your drainage system is now trying to run uphill.

This is a very valid point!

1 hour ago, wuvvum said:

I'm the same except when I've been on the beers the night before, which does occasionally happen when one is camping.

I'm actually half tempted to nab your toilet.  With that, the inverter-powered fan heater and a blow up mattress in the back of the Maxus I've got myself a fully equipped* camper.

Please come and take it, I don’t know what to do with it! I’ve never used it but can only assume it works. I don’t have any of the fluid or whatever to try it. Can’t work out how it flushes but assume it needs some fluid to flush. (I’ve not shat or slashed in it)

1 hour ago, tom13 said:

Have you used the vactan before? Is it any good? I have the same stuff in my ebay basket. I wonder how much 1L would cover?

I have seen people use it on YouTube with good results. I’ve used Kurust before and it’s worked, this is essentially the same product. 1l will go a fair way - Im just planning on sanding back any spots first rather than just putting paint straight on. 

47 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Could always do it with blackboard paint like the 928 Jeremy Clarkson had in the £1,500 Porsche Challenge... just saying.

I did a Fiat Cinquecento in that about 12 years ago. I made a front splitter out of yellow striped danger tape. 

I’ll leave you to picture that, it was pretty special.

I also painted a ZX Matt black too, only issue being I decided to use the paint left over from the Cinq, then ran out after doing less than half on a Sunday afternoon so had to drive to and from work all week with the car half painted. 

That one looked as good as you can imagine, too.

16 hours ago, dave j said:

That toilet takes up a lot of space so I can see the benefit of removing it .. but next time you need a pee at 4am when you are camping you might think different!

The sink can be a plan B, although we have a toilet in ours. We often sit in bed watching a film with a few drinks, so it's a PITA if we'd have to go outside before going to sleep.

I've always assumed that the majority of campervans are various shades of white and hearing aid beige so that in the summer you don't end up with an uninhabitable mobile sauna no matter how good your insulation is. 

Our loft conversion has 150mm of celotex in the rafters and we still have to move the nipper downstairs some nights over the summer as it get unbearably hot. 

1 hour ago, leafsprung said:

I've always assumed that the majority of campervans are various shades of white and hearing aid beige so that in the summer you don't end up with an uninhabitable mobile sauna no matter how good your insulation is. 

Our loft conversion has 150mm of celotex in the rafters and we still have to move the nipper downstairs some nights over the summer as it get unbearably hot. 

Quite possibly but it looks poor at the moment and I need to treat some rust. I’ll chance it - lots of people have used this military paint with good results and never seen anyone complain about temps after.

Shitter cubicle fully out, way more spacious now. 

Changed the aux belt, tensioner and vacuum pump the other day too.

Next job is to remove the seat bench, going to create two separate seat boxes with a fixed table between them and then where part of the toilet cubicle was im going to make some sort of cabinet with drawers in - may even try and get a kitchen unit carcass with drawers.

Side wall will be cladded. 

Oh and I also fitted a new set of runners on the side door, much easier to close now. 

989E9C78-BFB2-4E65-AB03-16D3973DB2A5.jpeg

Seat box out, shortened and refitted. 

So much tiger seal holding all the fascia boards on. I’ve tried to re-use the wood but a few bits split so I may well just have this as a mock up and then replace when funds allow. 

Next job is to build another identical box seat and have one each side of a fixed table. 

A7AED6C4-3C01-4C77-9394-A7B8860E0F44.jpeg

77B9ACC7-2F9E-4C6D-94F2-975393B9A53B.jpeg

On 2/16/2022 at 10:13 AM, JJ0063 said:

Quite possibly but it looks poor at the moment and I need to treat some rust. I’ll chance it - lots of people have used this military paint with good results and never seen anyone complain about temps after.

I used a roller on mine in raf blue/grey came out just fine and no problems with heat in the summer though I did paint the tin top white as a nod to the potential issue. It’s a lot cooler than my old van though that was a minibus so more windows and less insulation. 

Thought I better have a look into the lack of ABS and TC lights..

CEE1CA2F-86A4-44DC-8557-FE0FF47C556F.jpeg

26AA10CE-A737-4E4B-8BDD-64B4D7D6A179.jpeg

77270658-27E0-40F4-88B9-BB2AEB88FA2B.jpeg

At least it was only blu-tac.

Picked it out and now at least have the lights working even if there is a fault. Need to get someone with some half decent diagnostics to plug it in but from what I’ve read it’s typically a wheel sensor.. let’s hope so anyway. 

Picked up a piece of brand new worktop really cheap off Gumtree. Was going to get thinner lightweight stuff but this was so cheap for what it is and by the time I cut it to size and cut the hole for the sink and hob it won’t weigh much.

Who says an e92 isn’t practical. 

DF01C845-33FD-4328-A9D2-FAB6ED5D1B91.jpeg

Just need to try and find a single kitchen base unit with drawers in it now to go where the toilet was. If anyone has one and is in Norfolk then let me know! 

8FF9A109-7B25-4723-BF95-3BD9CEFA785F.png

9 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

Picked it out and now at least have the lights working even if there is a fault. Need to get someone with some half decent diagnostics to plug it in but from what I’ve read it’s typically a wheel sensor.. let’s hope so anyway. 

I could come over and pick up the shitter and bring Foreskin Forscan with me - that should be able to talk to the ABS on a Transit that age.

22 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

I could come over and pick up the shitter and bring Foreskin Forscan with me - that should be able to talk to the ABS on a Transit that age.

If you want the shitter on the basis I have no idea how and if it works, it’s yours. You plugging the van in to see if you can help diagnose it sounds like a fair trade to me. 

Im in Sporle near Swaffham if you know it. I’m about all day tomorrow and most of the weekend if you fancy it 👍

10 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

Thought I better have a look into the lack of ABS and TC lights..

CEE1CA2F-86A4-44DC-8557-FE0FF47C556F.jpeg

26AA10CE-A737-4E4B-8BDD-64B4D7D6A179.jpeg

77270658-27E0-40F4-88B9-BB2AEB88FA2B.jpeg

At least it was only blu-tac.

One of our minibuses at work of a similar age had those two lit and I read the same about the sensor. In this case, one of the rear springs had broken and sliced through the sensor cable in the process.

14 minutes ago, R114 said:

One of our minibuses at work of a similar age had those two lit and I read the same about the sensor. In this case, one of the rear springs had broken and sliced through the sensor cable in the process.

I have no idea how long the fault has been here so I think the best course of action is to see whether @wuvvum’s kind offer of Forscan when he visits picks up the fault or at least area of fault, I can then at least know what corner to get investigate. Hopefully a simple fix that someone over the years was just too lazy to sort. 

Me with my H&S hat on again! Do you enjoy a drink? Staggering out for a piss and stumbling into the corner of that worktop will hurt - maybe round it off?

(I lived in trucks for a few years and have undertaken extensive research into the perils that can befall the inebriated in a confined living space.)

3 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Sunday morning probably best for me if you're about then?

I can be about no problem. I’ll PM my address shortly 👍

2 hours ago, Sunny Jim said:

Me with my H&S hat on again! Do you enjoy a drink? Staggering out for a piss and stumbling into the corner of that worktop will hurt - maybe round it off?

(I lived in trucks for a few years and have undertaken extensive research into the perils that can befall the inebriated in a confined living space.)

As boring as it sounds, we are both tee total. The angle looks worse in the pic than it actually is, there’s still a massive doorway so hopefully we’ll be fine! Worst case I can just run the circular saw down it and chop the extra off but I thought it’d at least make sense to try it so there’s a bit more work surface. 

Started cladding today, have run out so need to grab some more to do the bottom. 

Also started a splashback for the worktop, going to do the left hand panel which is grey at the moment.  

We are going to Crufts in 2 weeks time and will be staying in this so need to tidy it up, make the other seat box, make seat pads, fit a table.

I’ve sourced a set of kitchen drawers for the gap where the toilet was but the chap isn’t having his kitchen removed for another 2 weeks so I won’t have it in time but at least it’s another thing sorted. 

C10865CE-0AD9-482E-A6DF-C3118D85A603.jpeg

A74F5FB2-C1C3-4A42-84BC-E521804838F9.jpeg

218AE70A-462F-4162-89FC-A2F67E65D9FB.jpeg

On 2/25/2022 at 7:28 PM, JJ0063 said:

I can be about no problem. I’ll PM my address shortly 👍

As boring as it sounds, we are both tee total. The angle looks worse in the pic than it actually is, there’s still a massive doorway so hopefully we’ll be fine! Worst case I can just run the circular saw down it and chop the extra off but I thought it’d at least make sense to try it so there’s a bit more work surface. 

We used to have a minibus version of this at work and the sliding door stops were further forward than the van version if that would be any use?

I always preferred to use the front doors for late night entry and exits in my old camper but a 74 VW does have a spectacularly noisy sliding door.