Transit Jumbo Camper capers…SOLD M8

JJ0063

7 minutes ago, Mally said:

Is your passenger seat a single?

We have contemplated swivelling our double passenger seat, but never got round to it. There hardly looks room to swivel a double, but it's supposed to work.

Had problems with unlocking  our side door today, and thought a swivel seat might give enough room to squeeze past from the front door.

Yeah it’s a single. I would personally prefer a double but I also would want to be able to get into the back so the space we have between the seats is more useful to us. 

1 minute ago, wuvvum said:

How tall are you?  A mate at uni bought one of those and I couldn't physically fit on it.  Had to ride with my knees out the side of the leg shields.

5’10 

I’m only buying it for the shits and giggles to be honest. I had one when I was 16 and they are awful but I saw it and just thought it’d be fun to keep in the back and go for a buzz when we’re out and about in the van!

17 hours ago, Mally said:

Is your passenger seat a single?

We have contemplated swivelling our double passenger seat, but never got round to it. There hardly looks room to swivel a double, but it's supposed to work.

Had problems with unlocking  our side door today, and thought a swivel seat might give enough room to squeeze past from the front door.

My mate has one in his T6 and it's dogshit in truth. A total pain in the arse to swivel about and its possibly the most uncomfortable seat I've ever had the misfortune of travelling in, it seems to be locked in bolt upright with no adjustment. It could be just VW pish "not designed to really work but charge at an exorbitant rate anyway " and a transit having more room up front and so on maybe just fine, but I'd go single conversion every time, much nicer to get in and out when you're parked up and warm 🤣🤣

3 hours ago, vaughant said:

My mate has one in his T6 and it's dogshit in truth. A total pain in the arse to swivel about and its possibly the most uncomfortable seat I've ever had the misfortune of travelling in, it seems to be locked in bolt upright with no adjustment. It could be just VW pish "not designed to really work but charge at an exorbitant rate anyway " and a transit having more room up front and so on maybe just fine, but I'd go single conversion every time, much nicer to get in and out when you're parked up and warm 🤣🤣

Can't go single seat, Need 3 in front, and kids in back.

There doesn't look enough room for a transit double to swivel,  but it seems they do.

I did wonder about it obviously raising the seats higher from the floor. I only have short legs😀 

I could fix the rake if necessary, but it shouldn't change from standard,

I also wondered if the swivel pin was strong enough for seat belts on two people. But a pin seems to work fine on an Artic.

Anyway I've fixed the side door now. One of the cables to the handle had no free play and the actuator didn't fully release.

56 minutes ago, Mally said:

Can't go single seat, Need 3 in front, and kids in back.

There doesn't look enough room for a transit double to swivel,  but it seems they do.

I did wonder about it obviously raising the seats higher from the floor. I only have short legs😀 

I could fix the rake if necessary, but it shouldn't change from standard,

I also wondered if the swivel pin was strong enough for seat belts on two people. But a pin seems to work fine on an Artic.

Anyway I've fixed the side door now. One of the cables to the handle had no free play and the actuator didn't fully release.

I mean to be fair it works OK but it's just a bit of a faff to do. 

Mind you he spunked £36k on it by ticking a lot of extras with one of these companies who buy ex AA vans and modify them.

I think they've tried to make maximum profit by making things look pretty and flash but they're actually not really fit for purpose. 

The van itself as well had been a total bag of shit since he's had it, numerous faults I'd be annoyed with on a £500 car let alone something of that value. 

He's had zero support from the seller as well who claimed that it's OK for a 66 plate van that was 5 years old at the time to have a continuous EML on as "TADTS". 

I pulled up next to him in my 23yr old Elgrand and he commented on how loud the engine was until I showed him the key was put and it was his van making the noise. 

3 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

Paint it so it matches the Transit?

As brilliant as that would be, I love the fact it looks absolutely shite in beige. It’s also so original I’d hate to ruin it. 

If I can get it running and new set of tyres along with a general check over then in August it’ll be 40 years old and only need insurance to be legal. Win. 

Drained the tank, removed the vacuum fuel tap as it was knackered 

Second time it’s been started in 11 years. It fired as soon as I pressed the electric start the first time!

Throttle doesn’t do anything, cable is moving on the carb but the revs are just doing their own thing. 

I’ve never stripped a carb before so I’ve got the choice of trying it or fitting a £13 eBay Chinese job. It’s definitely fuelling the issue at the moment.

1 hour ago, wuvvum said:

I would counsel against fitting a cheap Chinese eBay carb.  They tend to be rather crudely made - on every Chinese bike I've owned I've had endless issues trying to get them to idle properly.

Good to know. I’ll at least take this one off and strip it down.. if it works then great, if not I’ll have to replace it.

1 hour ago, Sunny Jim said:

Just been catching up on this thread - great to see you getting out and about and enjoying it. Congrats on the purchase of the Melody too; you're really living the dream!

Thanks! Although it’s very rough and ready, I’m absolutely loving it. Being able to jump in it and go off at the drop of the hat is lovely, good for the head too just being off grid. 

On 4/12/2022 at 5:39 PM, wuvvum said:

I would counsel against fitting a cheap Chinese eBay carb.

What about buying one just to use as a reference for how it goes back together, seeing as it's the OP's first time stripping one down? Assuming they're a reasonable clone of the original that is.

On 4/11/2022 at 8:13 PM, JJ0063 said:

If I can get it running and new set of tyres along with a general check over then in August it’ll be 40 years old and only need insurance to be legal. Win. 

Not to piss on your chips but I’m not 100% sure about that- If it’s registered on the 1st August 1983, then according to my understanding of the rules, it won’t be MOT exempt until August 2023, and won’t be tax exempt until 1st January 2024. 

On 12/04/2022 at 17:39, wuvvum said:

I would counsel against fitting a cheap Chinese eBay carb.  They tend to be rather crudely made - on every Chinese bike I've owned I've had endless issues trying to get them to idle properly.

Agree with this.

1 hour ago, Fabergé Greggs said:

Not to piss on your chips but I’m not 100% sure about that- If it’s registered on the 1st August 1983, then according to my understanding of the rules, it won’t be MOT exempt until August 2023, and won’t be tax exempt until 1st January 2024. 

Yes this will be MOT exempt from it's 40th birthday but not tax exempt until 1st April 2024 (start of following tax year)

Once it's MOT exempt you can just tax it anyway with no MOT (think it's about £17) but so little is tested on a moped MOT best to just take it for one in the meantime.

1 hour ago, Fabergé Greggs said:

I don’t know where I got my maths from to be honest! 

You’re right in that it’s 40 next year, not sure about the tax but either way tax I’m sure is less than £20 on a 49cc anyway.

The MOT isn’t a problem anyway, I’ll stick it in for one and see how it goes. There’s not much to go wrong with these tiny things. Either that or I may just take my time doing it up! 

• JJ0063 changed the title to Transit Jumbo Camper capers and a Honda Melody shed find…
18 minutes ago, Crackers said:

Sorting that front bumper out has made it look like a completely different van. 

I must admit im chuffed with it. Last night on the camp site a chap came over and asked about the bumper and his wife said he had bumper envy 😂 it does look great in person I must admit and im not one to blow my own trumpet. 

46 minutes ago, keith777 said:

Can you let us know exactly what polish you used on the bumper, that looks the dogs !!

Believe it or not it’s liquid shoe polish from Poundland. However it’s not as shit as it sounds. 

There’s lots of videos on YouTube and even a Facebook group dedicated to people dying all sorts with it including dashboards and door cards. People have done bumpers and they’ve still looked the same 2 years later. 

This is the stuff, you literally buy a couple of bottles, take the tops off and pour it out into a container then apply it with a kitchen sponge.

A209C1B1-2BFF-4AF0-910B-48EE577B67B5.jpeg