Transit Jumbo Camper capers…SOLD M8

JJ0063

Anyone know much about 2.5 TDI VW T5’s? I’ve read that the 1.9 is the one to go for but I’ve found a Shuttle converted camper with “only” 143k on it, 2 owners from new but it’s the 2.5 TDI. Don’t know whether I’m asking for trouble or if they’re alright?

The 2.5 engined T5s drive really nicely... but that engine can be a liability.  It is very difficult to work on as there is no space; pretty much anything requires the whole front to be removed, which is a ballache.

I had a 345k Shuttle LWB with the 2.5 AXD engine.  It used a litre of oil every few hundred miles (which is to be expected, given the mileage) but there was always something wrong with it, even on bits that had done a quarter of the mileage/ already been replaced.

Common maladies-

The camshaft wears, which causes major issues.

The injectors fail or sink into/ destroy the cylinder head.

The non-dpf ones need a ridiculous (expensive, hard to find) oil.

The 6-speed box kills the inner drive shaft stub axles, there is a modification out there to fix this now.

The water pump leaks internally into the engine as it's gear driven, like the cam shaft etc.  A lovely design in theory, but in practice, awkward to access.

Turbos, tandem fuel pumps etc etc all crap out.

I would have another one, they go very well, do 30mpg and feel 'proper' but you'd want to see lots of receipts for maintenance and be aware, it will cost plenty to keep going.

Also, they sound rougher than any diesel engine ever made.

Cheers guys, I’m scared now 😂

In principle it’s ideal, it’s a Shuttle so is originally the ‘car’ if you will so car speed limits etc, also has the front and rear air con which is a big plus.

Its not got much in the way of history, he’s owned it since 2015 and has self serviced it - can see on his FB he’s an older ‘engineer’ type and the reason for sale is that they’ve bought a coach built motorhome. 

It’s had a new clutch in the last 3 years and he said he’s annually serviced it. Doesn’t sound like it’s needed much in the way of maintenance.

Only one MOT failure in its life and that was in 2010 and that was just a number plate light bulb.

here’s the van in question, it’s £7800 (discussed / knocked down from £8500), the conversion is basic but on the face of it, it seems a very genuine van and seems a decent base to put our own touch on. Tempted to view tomorrow but just don’t know if I want to buy into a engine that isn’t the strongest option…

691B2103-3370-4169-9322-070309179169.jpeg

43871A03-6860-43C8-A10D-7BA07FCF3DD5.jpeg

23B040CD-D225-4BD9-8D4E-B3431E011C86.jpeg

AFF5D4FF-CAF1-42CF-8D0F-17B75FD04968.jpeg

63361E3C-3378-4BA5-96C4-7FA11FDE19FD.jpeg

3BF94C8C-491E-4573-BAED-1490243E37DB.jpeg

F8CE6C5C-4B2B-4A82-8F6E-1F2BD0713BAB.jpeg

E819B523-86B9-4850-904C-C4707F157630.jpeg

As I've said above I ran a lwb t5 with the 2.5 from new till 5 years old. Can't remember now but 200 and something thousand miles. Genuinely never had a problem with it.

Also had a crafter flat bed with the same lump in that ran it's camshaft at 180 thousand though.

Appreciate this information isn't helpful 😆

That's the spitting image of my one (but mine was still a minibus).  Doesn't look like it has power sliders (mine did..) which is a good thing, they go wrong and parts to repair are very expensive.

Does it have the rear heater/ air con?  I think it does, it's the centre switch in the middle of the dash.  Nice to have, but usually don't work.

The nice thing about a Shuttle or Caravelle is that you have decent spec, decent trim and insulation as standard.  They're streets ahead of a builder's van.  Car speed limits, too, as you say.

I wouldn't discount it because of the engine, just keep on top of it.

Actually, thinking about that crafter, it was a really nice thing to live with. And to be fair to it, it was already 8 years old and ex scaffolding firm when it came to us.

So long story short what about a swb sprinter? Basically same van as the crafter but with the more reliable 4 pot merc lump? Genuinely nice things to drive and always feel a chunk narrower than the rest of the big vans so a bit easier in car parks etc?

8 minutes ago, Rusty_Rocket said:

Does it have the rear heater/ air con?  I think it does, it's the centre switch in the middle of the dash.  Nice to have, but usually don't work.

Yeah it does as if you look at the ceiling in the 6th pic you can see the ceiling vents, I’ve read that they often break but there’s a 50% chance and hopefully the main cabin air con works at least. Another plus as nearly all the panel vans seem to be non air con! I think Im going to view it at least. It’s clearly a decent example with the clean MOT history and same owner for the last 7 years. 

6 minutes ago, Matty said:

Actually, thinking about that crafter, it was a really nice thing to live with. And to be fair to it, it was already 8 years old and ex scaffolding firm when it came to us.

So long story short what about a swb sprinter? Basically same van as the crafter but with the more reliable 4 pot merc lump? Genuinely nice things to drive and always feel a chunk narrower than the rest of the big vans so a bit easier in car parks etc?

I don’t know how to explain it but a sprinter still feels like a van, a T5 feels more like a car.. I don’t know how to explain it 😂 I feel like I’d want a car as well if I had a sprinter, whereas a T5 is car like enough that I feel like it’d dual purpose…

What's your mindset with mechanical liabilities? I owned a BXE engined Leon a few years back. The BXE was/is notorious for letting go and stuffing a rod through the block. Despite my engine behaving during my ownership (although it was ridiculously unrefined compared to all the PD130s I'd previously run over the years), it was always in the back of my mind that it may grenade itself at any given point. I ended up selling as I just didn't trust it. Personally, I'd be the same with the VAG 2.5 TDI lump.

4 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

What's your mindset with mechanical liabilities? I owned a BXE engined Leon a few years back. The BXE was/is notorious for letting go and stuffing a rod through the block. Despite my engine behaving during my ownership (although it was ridiculously unrefined compared to all the PD130s I'd previously run over the years), it was always in the back of my mind that it may grenade itself at any given point. I ended up selling as I just didn't trust it. Personally, I'd be the same with the VAG 2.5 TDI lump.

It’s a worry for sure, but the only experience I have of is reading online. I know people who have had no problems and read people having loads of problems.

Its a difficult one, the issue is I know I want a T5 but it seems as though it’s a choice between 250k+ 1.9s or something like this which feels almost rare having lowish miles and having had the same owner for so long. 

My ideal world would be finding a sub 200k mile 1.9 but that’s looking like it’s going to be a challenge. Im in no rush but this example seems a decent one for a 2.5. 

8 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

I don’t know how to explain it but a sprinter still feels like a van, a T5 feels more like a car.. I don’t know how to explain it 😂 I feel like I’d want a car as well if I had a sprinter, whereas a T5 is car like enough that I feel like it’d dual purpose…

And you'd be dead right about that. I reckon my perceptions a bit off these days. I'm running an Iveco Daily with a 3 litre 4 pot diesel and a 14ft bed. In comparison to that a Sprinter is a Caterham 😄

After sleeping on it I just don’t know what to do, might hold off for now. 

If I’m going for a T5, the one I’ve mentioned seems a sensible option.. what is still niggling away in my mind is whether realistically I can live with a van as my only car

I like something I can go for a ‘drive’ in, something with a little bit of poke and that is a nice place to sit. I understand I’m sacrificing that by daily driving a camper because we enjoy that side of life when we can get away. My gut feeling is saying for how many times we used the Transit (yes a fair bit but we’re talking maybe one night a week for perhaps 3-4 months of the year) that I’d miss a car more than a camper.

Truth be told what my head wants is to get back in an M57.. probably an e70 X5 for say £5-6k then buy a basic t4/t5 size camper £4k that I can still squeeze on the drive. 

I laid awake for ages last night pondering and I just don’t feel 100% on the idea now it’s coming toward reality.

Wait til tomorrow I’ll have bought a t5 now 😂

11 hours ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

A XUD engined Sherpa with only 30k on it, that fucker will outlive us all. I love ‘em , although it’s been a few years since I drove one and maybe the rose tinted specs are overruling reality when it comes to me picturing thrashing across Europe at 80.

7 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

Mrs JJ has just said get an E70 and a roof tent 😂 what a bird.

My in-laws got a Tentbox Lite last year and they go away with it all the time - used to have it atop a Nissan Pathfinder, that went poorly and now they’ve got it on a XC70. He’s done a diesel heater in a box thing so they even use it over winter.  Big estate+roof top tent is a great combo! 

I’m saying fuck it, if I can pick up an e70 for 5k and keep the rest in the bank for now, I’ll hire a camper for our wales trip in April then if we miss van life that much I’ve still got 6-7k in the bank to buy a van with later down the line.

I instantly feel more comfortable with that idea 

4 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

I’m saying fuck it, if I can pick up an e70 for 5k and keep the rest in the bank for now, I’ll hire a camper for our wales trip in April then if we miss van life that much I’ve still got 6-7k in the bank to buy a van with later down the line.

I instantly feel more comfortable with that idea 

You’ve got some good mitigation with that plan - can’t go too far wrong, unless it grenades. Keep us posted! 

8 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

I always thought the 2.5 5-pot TDI was a pretty decent engine.  Or did it all go to pot with common rail?  Certainly the LT35s I had with that engine were pretty trouble free, and it seems to have been OK in Audis (and Volvos) too - certainly better than the V6 TDI that replaced it.

It’s in north Walsham, go and see!

19 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

I always thought the 2.5 5-pot TDI was a pretty decent engine.  Or did it all go to pot with common rail?  Certainly the LT35s I had with that engine were pretty trouble free, and it seems to have been OK in Audis (and Volvos) too - certainly better than the V6 TDI that replaced it.

It's probably worth checking back in case much of this 'reputation' originates with one or two noisy people on owner's forums...this sort of stuff can get repeated ad nauseam and magnified.

I think there are certainly one or two known weak points with the 2.5 but forewarned is forearmed and all that.

On 2/1/2023 at 11:18 AM, wuvvum said:

Not sure of the tech specs and far too lazy to Google it, but I'm fair sure the 2.5 5 pot I had in my works t4 is the same one in volvo 850s etc. The 2.5 5 pot I had in the t5 is a different engine. Certainly sounded completely different. Older one was 90 brake, t5 was 130 brake.

33 minutes ago, Matty said:

Not sure of the tech specs and far too lazy to Google it, but I'm fair sure the 2.5 5 pot I had in my works t4 is the same one in volvo 850s etc. The 2.5 5 pot I had in the t5 is a different engine. Certainly sounded completely different. Older one was 90 brake, t5 was 130 brake.

The T4 and T5 engines are both 2,461cc inline fives so I assume they're the same basic engine, albeit with different heads due to emissions shiz etc.  The version in the T4 was available in various different horsepower rating - the 88bhp "blue i" version was non-intercooled, then there was a 102bhp option in the vans and 140bhp in cars (which I think was also available to special order in the T4).