Transit Jumbo Camper capers…SOLD M8

JJ0063

4 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

Checked out trains for the kraken van and it’s surprisingly simple… drive to Peterborough, direct train to Edinburgh then one train to Kinghorn.. £63 

Its definitely a viable option but likelihood is that it’s going to be at least another month until I’m ready to buy something 

Those 2.5tdi lumps aren't known for their reliability...

28 minutes ago, AxWomble said:

Most of the 2.5s I see around are belching smoke, not a good sign! The 1.9s aren’t exactly smooth but they’re tougher and used in more applications - easier to get them sorted if the worst happens 

Seems like I’m destined for a trip to Scotland! 

Another nice looking van that ticks the boxes and is a 1.9..

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/motorhome-details/202301203437025

1 minute ago, JJ0063 said:

That looks a lot of van for a smidge under 10k. T5s of that age without the camper bits don't command much less than asking. GIB!

9 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

That doesn’t look bad at all - I’d investigate what the “some rust” is, but otherwise looks a steal! 

I recognise the conversion on that van, done by a firm in Worksop, long since gone bust - my mate designed the layout.

Definitely on the "budget" end of things, but a hell of a lot better than most diy. Don't trust the seatbelts on the back seat, they're not at all safe to use. 

Give the roof a very very thorough inspection - they're a bit "man in a shed" and the canvas doesn't fit great and they tear round the corners and nothing really fits well or seals well. If the canvas is knackered it's two or three days work to fit a new one.

Give it a good test drive and if there are creaking/rattling noises above your head the cab roof "reinforcement" frame has come adrift (they were just riveted on, and the rivets crack).

We used to buy these roofs and fit them ourselves when I converted these vans for a living, we put a bit more "love" into it but they were still never very good.

You can buy ready made seat fabrics for £150 ish to sort out those horrific front seats.

8 minutes ago, cobblers said:

Definitely on the "budget" end of things, but a hell of a lot better than most diy. Don't trust the seatbelts on the back seat, they're not at all safe to use. 

Is it one of those wooden beds or a proper crash tested steel frame jobbie? I find it odd that big motorhome manufacturers can sell 5,6,7 berth vans with travelling seats that have seatbelts but about as much structural integrity as a park bench 😬

Just now, AxWomble said:

Is it one of those wooden beds or a proper crash tested steel frame jobbie? I find it odd that big motorhome manufacturers can sell 5,6,7 berth vans with travelling seats that have seatbelts but about as much structural integrity as a park bench 😬

They're a steel bed, but not crash tested and build down to a price. The seatbelts are attached in the middle of an unsupported 120cm length of 20x20mm box using m10x80mm bolts and a stack of about half a dozen m12 nuts used as spacers. More like something you'd expect in a camper built in the 1970s really.

10 minutes ago, cobblers said:

They're a steel bed, but not crash tested and build down to a price. The seatbelts are attached in the middle of an unsupported 120cm length of 20x20mm box using m10x80mm bolts and a stack of about half a dozen m12 nuts used as spacers. More like something you'd expect in a camper built in the 1970s really.

Crumbs. That’s a bit iffy. We’re putting belted minibus seats in our new van but we are at least using the original installation hardware in the same way the manufacturer intended.

I guess they’re not testable on the MOT beyond checking that they’ve been installed with some level of good practise - although the gov.uk page on this seems to suggest that unless they’ve been glued to the floor, anything goes 😂Additional seats should be fitted securely so that they are likely to remain in place in the event of an accident” 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/converting-a-van-to-carry-passengers-in-the-rear/converting-a-van-to-carry-passengers-in-the-rear

1 hour ago, cobblers said:

I recognise the conversion on that van, done by a firm in Worksop, long since gone bust - my mate designed the layout.

Give the roof a very very thorough inspection - they're a bit "man in a shed" and the canvas doesn't fit great and they tear round the corners and nothing really fits well or seals well. If the canvas is knackered it's two or three days work to fit a new one.

Give it a good test drive and if there are creaking/rattling noises above your head the cab roof "reinforcement" frame has come adrift (they were just riveted on, and the rivets crack).

We used to buy these roofs and fit them ourselves when I converted these vans for a living, we put a bit more "love" into it but they were still never very good.

You can buy ready made seat fabrics for £150 ish to sort out those horrific front seats.

What brand of roof and bed is it out of interest?  Think it might be one from near Sunderland.  Understand if you'd rather not say on a public forum

12 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

10g and he has 4 pictures and a very basic write up.

You would get a very nice 2.5 T4 for that. Just a thought.

I know they are love hate, as I think they have the transit 2.2, but you could consider something like a SWB relay? My mate has a 2007 and its a great all rounder for it's size. Much nicer camping space than a T5 but still an easy daily.

I wouldn't want to daily a Boxer/Relay/Ducato  the SWB ones are short, but they're all a foot wider than a T5 (2508mm vs 2242mm) which makes them not fit in parking spaces and they feel flipping massive when you're on country lanes. The length of mine has never been the problem (ooer) it's the width that grinds on you.

Or alternatively, a Vivaro/Trafic? Same sort of T5 size but a bit cheaper and might get you a more comprehensive conversion  if you’re lucky. They’re obviously less popular so you’d have to look harder. 

Would echo what @cobblers says - a Relay/Ducato/Boxer is really a class above a T5 in terms of size, and will feel a fair bit less like a car. Ours has never met a parking space it couldn’t fit into, but it’s always tight. A T5 would always fit with no extra thought required. 

3 hours ago, cobblers said:

I wouldn't want to daily a Boxer/Relay/Ducato  the SWB ones are short, but they're all a foot wider than a T5 (2508mm vs 2242mm) which makes them not fit in parking spaces and they feel flipping massive when you're on country lanes. The length of mine has never been the problem (ooer) it's the width that grinds on you.

I have never thought they felt overly big for a daily. No worse than my Transit width and that's fine. Also they are square so you can sleep sideways across it. Standard height without pop top is good as well.

Best 'average' van size IMO for space. T4s and T5s are fine but just a bit too small.

I’ve had a Primastar before, I wouldn’t rule one out but they still feel like a van, the T5s feel like a car, I dunno what it is

Bar a T5, the only other van I’d consider is a Transit Custom but I know their engines aren’t the best and they also command a higher premium as they’re also newer.

I think I’ll be waiting until I’ve sold the Transit, sold the Scirocco then I’ll see what’s about. I plan on spending £10-£11k absolute tops 

I wouldn’t have anything like a T4 again as I want something that at least feels a bit modern - I know I like T5’s so I’d be confident buying one. 

So finally got round to cleaning this as a few people on FB have asked for photos 

1905A8C3-E001-4CA5-8576-83BF37D81BF0.jpeg

333FCEEC-22AC-4980-BB5F-B68F1A3C0F5C.jpeg

FEAECF98-967C-4447-888F-63B91C4C64EE.jpeg

D31938B2-F88F-4B9F-B6DC-669F35377095.jpeg

E1F1BEB2-A47A-4D31-9944-A8C0DA863079.jpeg

BB184898-E0AF-47BA-8EA7-71BD4A5C158A.jpeg

E62A7E73-FD44-40E4-9B30-86957D787E08.jpeg

Apparently a couple are coming up from Southampton tomorrow to view it, they had a 45 min video tour last weekend and loved it but I’m not sure they’ll want to come now as when I washed it I poked a suspicious looking area of outer sill..

8FB3FB3A-BC4E-4E2A-B4F9-6DF31538B9CD.jpeg

im really not that fussed if they no longer want to come (I’ve been honest and sent the pic) but we’ll see. I know somewhere I can get it plated up worst case.

55 minutes ago, AxWomble said:

Handy to know the going rate for this kind of thing - ours will be up fairly soon, once the new van is liveable. What did you put it up for? 

£8500, when I asked on the FB groups people were saying £10-11k but that just felt mad, bar what I’ve spent on paint and the window etc I’ve  made £4500 profit in a year so I’m well chuffed with that 

48 minutes ago, Matty said:

Bloody hell that was easy

Yeah it was straight forward, couple from Southampton drove up had a long look round it and knocked £250 off my asking price so I can’t really complain 

1 hour ago, Matty said:

Bob on that Jordan. Now how longs that money going to be burning a hole before the next purchase?? 😀

😂 I’ve been having a browse today. There’s nothing screaming out at me yet, did see a 2009 T5 with a facelift conversion, lowered on 18” Amarok steels but £6k not converted, 263k miles and a leaky turbo oil return just doesn’t appeal to me for that sort of money. It’s only 15 mins away.

I really cant be bothered to travel far though so unless something amazing pops up I’ll just find something close to home I think.

Scirocco goes in Wednesday for MOT along with belt and pump then I can sell that, should leave me 10/11k to spend as I want to keep a couple of thousand back to clear a loan I’ve got a year left on, want to be completely debt free so this seems like the time to clear the bit I’ve got left..

4 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

😂 I’ve been having a browse today. There’s nothing screaming out at me yet, did see a 2009 T5 with a facelift conversion, lowered on 18” Amarok steels but £6k not converted, 263k miles and a leaky turbo oil return just doesn’t appeal to me for that sort of money. It’s only 15 mins away.

I really cant be bothered to travel far though so unless something amazing pops up I’ll just find something close to home I think.

Scirocco goes in Wednesday for MOT along with belt and pump then I can sell that, should leave me 10/11k to spend as I want to keep a couple of thousand back to clear a loan I’ve got a year left on, want to be completely debt free so this seems like the time to clear the bit I’ve got left..

I had a 2.5 t5 for 5 years from brand new and put 200 odd thou on it. Nice thing (though I preferred my previous 2.5 5 pot t4). The values of them are completely fucking mental, but I totally know where your coming from. They are just a smart looking van in the way a transit or vivaro etc etc can't compete with