Transit Jumbo Camper capers…SOLD M8

JJ0063

Shot down to Chelmsford today and picked it up. Chuffed for £26! Sliding mechanism works great too. 

I just need to find someone else who is about to fit a window so I can grab measurements from them, I basically need where these lines are so I can measure and work out where to cut. I’ve tried lots of options in my head but everyone fits them by cutting from inside out, I really can’t do that with the walls already being insulated/cladded etc without ruining the whole side of the interior having to dismantle it all. 

44B302FA-D100-4BE7-AF30-EA139B15952B.jpeg

So now I’ve got the window, got the edging trim, glue/primer is on the way so all being well I can give fitting it a go at the weekend. 

Someone on a Transit group was kind enough to get me the measurements so I can do a rough cut then fine tune it however I was thinking of options today and think I’ve found a better way…

055BB6B8-71AB-46B7-8E36-86E447FD923E.jpeg

My intention as I’ve said before on here was to cut from the outside of the van, then remove the insulation from outside and then cut the window shape out of the internal woodwork from standing outside, using a multi tool.

I think my better option is actually to still work from the inside, but on the same principle as suggested by someone on here.. cutting a small hole then working out until I find where I need to be. Once I’ve done this with the woodwork I can then cut the metal from inside knowing I’m cutting in exactly the right place.

This outline is where you cut, so if I can open the inside enough to see that, I can then build an internal wooden window frame to box it in once the window is fitted

00754D65-B02E-4446-A978-98AF158E9F14.jpeg

11 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

So now I’ve got the window, got the edging trim, glue/primer is on the way so all being well I can give fitting it a go at the weekend. 

Someone on a Transit group was kind enough to get me the measurements so I can do a rough cut then fine tune it however I was thinking of options today and think I’ve found a better way…

055BB6B8-71AB-46B7-8E36-86E447FD923E.jpeg

My intention as I’ve said before on here was to cut from the outside of the van, then remove the insulation from outside and then cut the window shape out of the internal woodwork from standing outside, using a multi tool.

I think my better option is actually to still work from the inside, but on the same principle as suggested by someone on here.. cutting a small hole then working out until I find where I need to be. Once I’ve done this with the woodwork I can then cut the metal from inside knowing I’m cutting in exactly the right place.

This outline is where you cut, so if I can open the inside enough to see that, I can then build an internal wooden window frame to box it in once the window is fitted

00754D65-B02E-4446-A978-98AF158E9F14.jpeg

That sounds like a plan - you could still stand outside to do the actual cutting of course, just drill some holes from the known outline on the inside, then you’ll have something to work from on the outside. Might give you better access than cutting the metal from the inside :) very jealous of all these folks with side windows! 

That went bloody well apart from my Ferex multi tool just died but luckily I had the Dewalt cordless car boot special to save the day.

Was actually really simple. As per pics, cut a hole roughly in the middle, felt with my hand where the edges of the window cut would be - luckily pretty much bang on with the edge of a cladding slat. Did the same for each edge just making the hole bigger each time.

I now just need to clean all the shit out, hoover the area I’ve cut to get all the loose kingspan out then do a final trim cut on the edges as I only did it by eye so it’s not going to be dead straight. 

Once I’ve fitted the window I’ll get some nice wood and make a box frame to slot in, that way I’ll have a window ledge, somewhere to mount a curtain and it’ll look neat. 

Well chuffed, multi tools are the one.

C0FF4ED9-74B4-4C51-A348-08CB0B670DFF.jpeg

C06BB982-0025-49A7-9000-9FC1A6224382.jpeg

B8F4DD13-C9C1-4E60-B77B-1355A5A8476A.jpeg

1F338294-67E6-4EBE-B772-735BCDED7109.jpeg

Well that was a fucking mission.

couldn’t for the life of me find my jigsaw so I shot down to the Saturday morning auction in town and picked up a black and decker for £7, swung by Screwfix and got a pack of decent quality HSS metal cutting blades. 

Cut the hole out, cut was a piece of piss albeit a bit wobbly but it doesn’t really matter, you can’t see the cut when the window is in.

Primed the body, primed the glass, started gluing… got until I had about 8” left and ran out of glue 😂 this was 5:30, the glue is quick setting and Halfords shuts at 6. Jump in the car, flat out to Dereham Halfords, 2 tubes of tiger seal, flat out home, scrape all the original glue back off, glue up again and throw it in. 

It’s far from perfect, but it’s in and all done for £50 odd including the glass. 

I’ll leave it a week and make sure it’s water tight then can make up an internal window frame to box it in. Will also need to get the Nato green paint out to touch up where I got a bit enthusiastic with the black body primer.

DA06C7CB-CDDE-47A6-9A8A-FCE1EF714C3B.jpeg

Knocked a frame up tonight, I need to re-do the uprights again as stupidly miscalculated my measurements and they are slightly off but I have enough wood so will do them tomorrow. Top and bottom is fine though and I jigsawed it so it fits tight to the slider on the window.

Im not any good at carpentry so don’t judge, it’ll do the job! 

Just need to get some filler to cover the screw holes then I can stain/paint it.

Rather than curtains I think I’m just going to grab a cheap roller blind, easy enough to fit.

38A3D91F-CB4C-4C33-B09D-C4CACF3344D2.jpeg

Just now, JJ0063 said:

Knocked a frame up tonight, I need to re-do the uprights again as stupidly miscalculated my measurements and they are slightly off but I have enough wood so will do them tomorrow. Top and bottom is fine though and I jigsawed it so it fits tight to the slider on the window.

Im not any good at carpentry so don’t judge, it’ll do the job! 

Just need to get some filler to cover the screw holes then I can stain/paint it.

Rather than curtains I think I’m just going to grab a cheap roller blind, easy enough to fit.

38A3D91F-CB4C-4C33-B09D-C4CACF3344D2.jpeg

Looks good!

• 4 weeks later...

We are staying away in the van on Saturday night as Hunstanton sea front parking is open to overnight stays now it’s out of season, it’s also their firework display. 

Thought I’d best try and finish the window as best I can for now. I still need to redo the frame but it can wait for now. Picked up a blind for £14 from Argos. Bought some filler for the screw holes that claims to allow wood stain to be applied.. looks terrible so I may have to reassess that or strategically position things on the window ledge.

F59DAD9F-080A-45CC-98D1-C2D6949885D2.jpeg

0B01C234-AD65-4424-B107-3631544A4AE0.jpeg

25 minutes ago, warch said:

I love what you've done with the interior, most campers and motorhomes look a bit chintzy for my tastes, but the wood panelling looks very homely and restful, it reminds me of my mum and dad's shepherd's hut. 

Cheers!

I don’t like traditional campers, I almost wanted this to look a bit ratty. I’m not qualified in any trade so everything is very much DIY and not perfect but that’s given it character. It’s ours and it’s a one off! 

• 4 weeks later...

Might (and I genuinely hope not) have to look at either selling this or swapping for something smaller. 

We should* be moving house 2 weeks tomorrow and the new driveway isn’t quite as shite friendly. The drive in front of the garage IMO the van will never fit on and the recent gravel drive addition would mean blocking one of the lounge windows. With having a car each and the van, it’ll be difficult to fit all 3 on.

In an ideal world it fits in front of the garage and our two cars go on the gravel.. unlikely.

43A989C5-C3A5-4AD6-B869-DAB855EE7694.jpeg

Old streetview pic shows the drive in front of the garage better.. the van is 6.4m, I highly doubt that space is as big..

4F4346D7-9F18-484C-9CAF-EEB1C29B77C6.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve never owned a vehicle that I have stored away from home and it’s bugging me 

Couple of reasons..

It’s sat on a concrete pad on a farm 15 mins from mine, in theory anyone could drive up the farm track, behind the farm and break in/nick it/whatever and realistically unless someone goes to collect a trailer or Ambers friend goes to her van, no one will be any the wiser.

Secondly and this is irrespective of where it’s stored and is likely just because of it being winter but we’ve not used it in months. I’m paying tax and insurance each month for it to just sit. Can’t be arsed SORN’ing it as its hassle if I ever need to drive it last minute, and I want to keep it insured because of where it is.

Thirdly I’ve had it nearly a near and although I only paid I think £3750, realistically I could sell it for £7-8k on the valifeYO! Pages within days. That’s a fair bit of money left on a farm but when we do get out in it, I bloody love it.

I just feel like I’m going to end up almost forgetting about it. Don’t have any choice though as if it’s at home, there’s nowhere for our cars.

Need to have a serious think as it’s just playing on my mind at the moment. 

9 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

I’ve never owned a vehicle that I have stored away from home and it’s bugging me 

Couple of reasons..

It’s sat on a concrete pad on a farm 15 mins from mine, in theory anyone could drive up the farm track, behind the farm and break in/nick it/whatever and realistically unless someone goes to collect a trailer or Ambers friend goes to her van, no one will be any the wiser.

Secondly and this is irrespective of where it’s stored and is likely just because of it being winter but we’ve not used it in months. I’m paying tax and insurance each month for it to just sit. Can’t be arsed SORN’ing it as its hassle if I ever need to drive it last minute, and I want to keep it insured because of where it is.

Thirdly I’ve had it nearly a near and although I only paid I think £3750, realistically I could sell it for £7-8k on the valifeYO! Pages within days. That’s a fair bit of money left on a farm but when we do get out in it, I bloody love it.

I just feel like I’m going to end up almost forgetting about it. Don’t have any choice though as if it’s at home, there’s nowhere for our cars.

Need to have a serious think as it’s just playing on my mind at the moment. 

Might be worth putting it on a SORN for the depths of winter and then re-taxing it on the first day where you think “I can’t bear not to be out and about today” in Spring. 

Bit different because we live in our van (so we’re never away from it), but the novelty of being able to just drive somewhere without booking accommodation will never get old. We can travel the length of the country without planning a thing. Consider this in your decision to sell/not sell - you’ll have to book Airbnb, etc, and still be paying fuel to get to places. 

12 minutes ago, AxWomble said:

Might be worth putting it on a SORN for the depths of winter and then re-taxing it on the first day where you think “I can’t bear not to be out and about today” in Spring. 

Bit different because we live in our van (so we’re never away from it), but the novelty of being able to just drive somewhere without booking accommodation will never get old. We can travel the length of the country without planning a thing. Consider this in your decision to sell/not sell - you’ll have to book Airbnb, etc, and still be paying fuel to get to places. 

I always try and avoid SORN as if it’s a direct debit each month I don’t notice it as much as if I decide I need to drive it tomorrow for arguments sake I then to log on and tax it before then going to stick fuel in and drive it away. However now it’s stored elsewhere I guess I’m less likely to jump in it on a whim, maybe now at the end of the month is the time to try doing that as Jan/Feb will be a quiet time for travel… Crufts is our next planned time away in it in March. 

I agree re the novelty of driving somewhere and having no accommodation costs. It’s the best bit and I’d really miss it.. I just need to weigh up the best course of action I guess. 

Or do what I did and SORN it just after midnight on the last day of the month, thereby missing out on a month's refund. Then decide you do need to use it after all at the end of that month, and end up paying twice for the same month! The argument for taxing per mile felt quite convincing at that moment...

9 hours ago, Matty said:

Take battery off and home with you. Steering wheel if you can be arsed. Just make it nigh on impossible to drive away. Should be sound after that. Little things you can do JJ to put your mind at rest. 

To be honest the battery will be flat within a week or two I’d imagine, it was flat before I jumped it, I drove it the few miles and parked it again so it won’t have much juice in it! Battery on these is under the seat and I’ve not worked out how easily remove it yet although it’s an idea as I can leave it plugged in to a trickle charger at home too.

I’ve stuck one of those old crook lock bars through the steering wheel as a visual deterrent too.  Just don’t want some pikeys getting in to it for a route about. 

Amber walks into the kitchen tonight and says “I’ve done something”

Right…

“I was reading a wildlife magazine and I’ve always wanted to see Puffins, so I’ve booked us 3 nights on a campsite in Wales in April”

Fucking 6 hours each way 😂 more like 7+ in the Transit. Staying in Haverfordwest and going to Skomer island.

I best order a service kit, also wouldn’t mind doing the rear diff oil before doing a long trip as it’s always had a bit of noise but can’t work out if it’s box or diff.

Have you considered a solar panel? We keep our caravan in a storage place. The panel keeps the battery fully charged and ready. The one we have is a 100watt Truma. That can charge two batteries, prioritising one, so the vehicle battery could be kept full and any surplus going to a leisure battery for habitation use. The Truma ones are bloody expensive, think ours would have been about 600 quid, but came with the van. However like a lot of things, you're paying for the name and much cheaper alternatives are available. Worth a thought? 

33 minutes ago, Dobloseven said:

Have you considered a solar panel? We keep our caravan in a storage place. The panel keeps the battery fully charged and ready. The one we have is a 100watt Truma. That can charge two batteries, prioritising one, so the vehicle battery could be kept full and any surplus going to a leisure battery for habitation use. The Truma ones are bloody expensive, think ours would have been about 600 quid, but came with the van. However like a lot of things, you're paying for the name and much cheaper alternatives are available. Worth a thought? 

I don’t know whether there’s a way to rig our solar setup, up to the starter battery - probably is. We have 3 big panels which run our 4 leisure batteries. 

It’s something to consider but the starter battery going flat has only happened recently because of lack of use, I’ll have to look at options if it becomes a regular occurance.