Transit Jumbo Camper capers…SOLD M8

JJ0063

2 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

It’s on the list, I just honestly haven’t gotten round to it. I won’t be moving it but I obviously want a drop vent in there pretty sharpish. I’ve had this ABS issue on the forefront of my mind to sort before MOT time so now that’s done il get the MOT sorted next week then as long as that doesn’t throw up anything massive, the drop vent can be fitted ASAP.

To be honest where the bottle is actually works well for us, it’s such a big bottle that it’ll quite literally last us years - the only thing that runs on gas is the hob. 

I did wonder  about making something storage wise for under the bed but in all honesty how things are when it’s tidy works well. It’s only a mess as I had to move stuff about to remove that back wall. It usually just has 2 bikes, the awning, BBQ, and a box for odds and ends, then wet suit / dry robe etc for when we’re on the water. 

I’ve tracked back to try and find it, where is your gas bottle currently? We’re converting a van currently and still weighing up where to put it. Thanks! 

8 minutes ago, AxWomble said:

I’ve tracked back to try and find it, where is your gas bottle currently? We’re converting a van currently and still weighing up where to put it. Thanks! 

Under the bed, hence our bed is a touch higher than we would personally have put it.. however it does mean our bikes fit upright with just the front wheel removed which is ideal!

18631F53-5E88-426F-B5D5-85272C85B03E.jpeg

1 minute ago, JJ0063 said:

Under the bed, hence our bed is a touch higher than we would personally have put it.. however it does mean our bikes fit upright with just the front wheel removed which is ideal!

18631F53-5E88-426F-B5D5-85272C85B03E.jpeg

Awesome, thank you for the picture! That’s looking like basically the only place it’ll fit in ours too - is it an 11kg or bigger? 

7 minutes ago, bezzabsa said:

Nice conversion... is it on V5 as camper? as I know DVLA have started cracking down on what makes a camper..

I read an interesting blog post on this the other day - apparently in 2019-2020 (rules changed in 2019) out of 14,942 requests to change to ‘motorcaravan’, they rejected 14,136. Only 5% got accepted. General opinion is that even if you follow all the rules and regs, they’ll still reject you and won’t explain why. Ours is staying as it is, partly because I don’t want side windows yet, or silly graphics. 

https://climbingvan.co.uk/van-life/reclassifying-your-campervan-dvla/

1 hour ago, bezzabsa said:

Nice conversion... is it on V5 as camper? as I know DVLA have started cracking down on what makes a camper..

It is, luckily was reclassified in around 2018 so long before the DVLA requirements tightened

50 minutes ago, AxWomble said:

I read an interesting blog post on this the other day - apparently in 2019-2020 (rules changed in 2019) out of 14,942 requests to change to ‘motorcaravan’, they rejected 14,136. Only 5% got accepted. General opinion is that even if you follow all the rules and regs, they’ll still reject you and won’t explain why. Ours is staying as it is, partly because I don’t want side windows yet, or silly graphics. 

https://climbingvan.co.uk/van-life/reclassifying-your-campervan-dvla/

I work in insurance so have quite a lot of discussions on this subject. In reality, the only real world difference from changing to a motor caravan on the V5 is speed limits. 
There are of course other things but in day to day life nothing else really comes into it.

The insurance stance if you speak to the right company makes absolutely 0 difference. The company I work for would charge someone exactly the same whether the V5 said van, van with windows, minibus or motor caravan. 

I would get fed up being stuck at 50 on A roads but it would probably do wonders for my shite MPG…

Excuse the blue velvet making a temporary return. 

We said the last time we used the van that we don’t have the table out much other than for having food etc.  Decided it would be handy to have extra seating space or even somewhere to have a bit of a lay whilst watching TV so decided to make a lift out seat to bridge the gap.

Quick job, just screwed a batten to each seat box and one across the back.  Had enough 12mm ply to double up and make a nice strong 24mm bench so no flex at all. Lifts out so can easily tuck it somewhere out the way when we use the table.

Just need to get some fabric to upholster it then we’re away.

We head off on Wednesday morning for 3/4 days at the coast, no real plan this time just going to hit the road and see where we end up.

D077D6B2-040E-42F7-BD29-4A984EDF09C0.jpeg

2 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

Made it to Norwich

No idea what’s happened but aux belt is shredded, all pulleys seem free so nothing has seized. Think it’s just come off somehow and got caught up.

Now waiting for the RAC… FFS…

721B58C3-414F-4618-B018-81C319060ED7.jpeg

Been here since just after 5, it’s now 7:41 and still no ETA… fun times 

44 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

Been here since just after 5, it’s now 7:41 and still no ETA… fun times 

You’ve reminded me that I need to get breakdown cover for the new van before going north next week…..hopefully you’ve got an idea of rescue time by now! 

6 minutes ago, AxWomble said:

You’ve reminded me that I need to get breakdown cover for the new van before going north next week…..hopefully you’ve got an idea of rescue time by now! 

I trimmed the shredded bits off the belt, levered it back on with the wheel wrench and limped it to Thickthorn services.. belt came off again half way round the roundabout, forgot the lack of belt means I also lost vacuum so brakes too.. that shat me up. 

Recovery company from Diss are on the way. 

Trip to get a new belt and tensioner tomorrow, then see if anything else is causing it to throw the belt. 

Nothing feels loose and the tensioner/belt I only fitted a couple of months ago so I’m at a loss currently…

1 hour ago, Matty said:

Did you find owt wrong?

I think to be honest it was just awful quality parts from Transit Parts UK, I hadn’t read reviews until afterwards..

The new Euro car parts Dayco belt was an awful lot harder to get on, even with the tensioner fully open it was tight to get on. The TPUK one wasn’t difficult and still squeaked sometimes. Also the tensioner they gave me.. first one the casting cracked when I put the square drive in on my breaker to open the tensioner, and both of them the belt sat off it 1/4” - see pic of beforehand. 

The new belt doesn’t squeak at all, the tensioner sits right too.

Goes to show that £42 for belt and tensioner from TPUK as opposed to £128 from ECP is a big difference for a reason..

CCCB22B3-9A14-4850-8484-6611B895579C.jpeg

2F080E76-2139-411D-998B-1CD5922B735A.jpeg

MOT on this is being done tomorrow 

Absolutely shitting it to be honest…

1. It’s a Transit

2. The ABS light being covered makes me wonder if it was a shit MOT last year

3.  Had to book it in with a garage I’ve never used. It’s one of Ambers colleagues husband owns the garage so I’m hoping he won’t do us over. 

4. It’s a Transit 

6 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

Genuinely speechless. Never been so nervous about an MOT before! 

10E1EECC-2D6C-42D5-824B-3023926BA6A7.png

49A36E1C-38C4-4EC8-8994-EC957082CF9D.png

Not so bad! Certainly nothing that stops you rolling or causes undue agro. First MOT of a vehicle since buying it is always a nerve-wracking experience - you never know what is lurking beneath the underseal. Congrats! 

Nothing wrong with a good Transit.

How did manage to find one?

Ours has a TPUK belt and idler, but I'm presuming they will change it before we get the big bill for the timing chain.

My son has seen our damage, valves hit pistons no rockers broken. they have sent head and camshafts away for checking.

Been broken 3 weeks so far, 2 weeks to get a slot, a week fixing/not fixing. But he can use my Saab whilst I'm in not Sunny, Beach.

I am genuinely shocked, but very happy.

Good comes with the bad, Amber called when she got there with it this morning to say she went round a bend, one of the kitchen shelves fell off and both a full bottle of vinegar and a bottle of olive oil have smashed…. That’s going to fucking stink and be a nightmare to clean up.

6 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

I am genuinely shocked, but very happy.

Good comes with the bad, Amber called when she got there with it this morning to say she went round a bend, one of the kitchen shelves fell off and both a full bottle of vinegar and a bottle of olive oil have smashed…. That’s going to fucking stink and be a nightmare to clean up.

Scoop it up, nice vinaigrette for a salad, sift the glass out first though!

Baking soda is a good way to soak up vinegar and remove the smell and a shit ton of kitchen roll for the oil.

1 hour ago, JJ0063 said:

Kudos to Amber for going round a bend so fast!

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

And home 

317 miles

28.09 MPG I’ve calculated based on £100 spend at 194.9

Faultless drive 

07DBA599-505C-474C-84C2-4AAD3E3C90AB.jpeg

Nice going! Always good to have a long journey with no odd noises...would have loved to join the gathering but the van wasn't quite ready in time!