Transit Jumbo Camper capers…SOLD M8

JJ0063

Been quite ill this week so not touched the van much.

Managed to all but finish the cladding, just need to finish the bottom piece and paint it.

Did manage to collect a free 600mm base unit with drawers today, plan is to clad the side, worktop on top, sand and paint the drawer fronts - some nice cheap storage along with more work surface.

I must get it all done this week as Saturday morning we leave for Crufts. 

4A32FABA-6921-492D-8801-B7F5510EE303.jpeg

52 minutes ago, catsinthewelder said:

The drawers look like a good score but how are you going to stop them flying open on corners?

Thanks @cobblers, my mate has just bought a motorhome version and needs a spare wheel and I have a stack of Discovery steelies in the garden to get rid of.

There are quite a few ways, I’ve been doing some research and people use anything from decent magnets, those things that stop babies opening them, sliding bolts etc

Going to try magnets first and see how I get on 👍

Re wheels - Discovery 1 wheels will fit but not disco 2. The Land Rover wheels also have a massive centre bore so will want reducers welding in. The stud size will fit to get someone out of an emergency I guess though 

Painted the back doors then realised it’s going to take longer than I thought 😂 working the rest of the week so stopped after those as I can’t really take a half painted van out.

New number plates fitted 

Got most of the woodwork done now but I’m properly pissed off, I completely didn’t cotton on to the fact my table saw had moved slightly so all my cladding on the seat bases is slightly off at the end. I’ll redo it when I have more time.

Table should be here tomorrow then things just need a lick of paint. That will have to do for now as I just haven’t got the time before we leave now 

09019D2C-A04C-4A08-8206-0A64987E2881.jpeg

210AA028-7EAC-4BD0-B025-A0BED4C5457E.jpeg

We leave Saturday morning so tomorrow I’ve got to cut down the other seat pad and fit it, absolutely hate the blue velvet but not found anything we like to replace it yet. Hoping the new table might arrive too. 

Apart from that I’ve now hoovered all the sawdust, cleaned it all, filled the fresh water and Amber has fitted some decorative bits. 

A015DF18-4F87-4BCF-84C9-D6D4896D2F01.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Quintus said:

This is lovely. Really liking the green body/white roof/grey bumper look.

Are you taking the piss? 😂 

I hate it but I haven’t got round to finishing it. Roof will be painted as soon as I can be bothered to go and borrow a ladder. Bumpers need some heat gun action to bring a bit more colour back to them.

My main issue is that I enjoy using it too much to be bothered to finish it at the moment. We are literally out in it any time we’ve got a spare day at the minute. 

7 hours ago, Popsicle said:

You know I've had the itch to do one of these for years. Briefly had a Talbot camper 20 odd years ago, thought I'd scratched the itch, but its coming back. Looking through this is making me want to have another go. Always fancied having a go with a blank canvas, FFS I need help............

We had a Nissan Primastar (Vivaro) in lockdown 1 and I hated it, couldn’t stand up, just too small. This is a different ball game.. full size fixed bed, can stand up whilst cooking and sit down for dinner without folding beds away. I’d go for as big as you can get away with, ours looks shit, I always feel like a proper pikey driving it but I just love staying in it. I’m writing this now laid in my full size double, diesel heater on so I’m toasty warm.. love it.

4 hours ago, New POD said:

What paint are you using and can you get ist in British racing green with a deep gloss finish? 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143049337260?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=aKRZzVBoRyS&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=IaiIXmW2Rkq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

It’s literally military paint, they have a few colours! 

12 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

We had a Nissan Primastar (Vivaro) in lockdown 1 and I hated it, couldn’t stand up, just too small. This is a different ball game.. full size fixed bed, can stand up whilst cooking and sit down for dinner without folding beds away. I’d go for as big as you can get away with, ours looks shit, I always feel like a proper pikey driving it but I just love staying in it. I’m writing this now laid in my full size double, diesel heater on so I’m toasty warm.. love it.

Made me snort me cup of tea out me nose that pikey comment! I'm not bothered by the looks, just fancy building one and playing in it. As I'm 50 with very little motivation, it'll take me ages to build one but I'd enjoy doing it, worry is I'll run out of time before I pop me clogs if I don't pull my finger out. I've always had a love-hate relationship with Merc Sprinters so I've always thought that would be the van for me to convert.

Glad your enjoying it out and about in the van.

Having severe dizziness type issues really isn’t helping me with trying to get this van painted but I had an hour or so feeling a touch better today so still with no ladder I managed to climb on to the bonnet… sanded the area above the windscreen back and treated all the rust. At least now it looks so bad I have no choice but to get out there in the next few days and clean it all back and paint it. Then it’s just the sides of the roof as most of the main top of the van is already black.

FE532666-B135-4A20-A4B3-48D29152F1BE.jpeg

98C14C33-CD32-4A8A-8289-99200667072E.jpeg

Did a car boot sale using the van today, lots of people commented on it and we had a business card left on it saying “You’ve been spotted by the Rat Bastard Crew” 😂

I now have a borrowed ladder in my possession, went round the whole remaining white section with degreaser to clean off the green algae and whatnot. I’m off on Good Friday so I’ll try and get it scuffed up and painted then. Sick of it being unfinished now. 

Next weekend we’re away again in it for a couple of nights as it’s Easter bank holiday. Heading over towards the coast but further round near Mundesley this time. 

2 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

Next weekend we’re away again in it for a couple of nights as it’s Easter bank holiday. Heading over towards the coast but further round near Mundesley this time. 

There's usually quite a few vans parked up along the sea front at Walcott. 

On 4/7/2022 at 1:41 PM, JJ0063 said:

Swivellyboi fitted

79183AEF-4D75-4728-83CA-EE2032D4F897.jpeg

Is your passenger seat a single?

We have contemplated swivelling our double passenger seat, but never got round to it. There hardly looks room to swivel a double, but it's supposed to work.

Had problems with unlocking  our side door today, and thought a swivel seat might give enough room to squeeze past from the front door.

26 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

There's usually quite a few vans parked up along the sea front at Walcott. 

We’ve pushed the boat out and gone for a nice looking camp site in Felmingham so near North Walsham

Dare say we’ll have a drive along the coast though!