Transit Jumbo Camper capers…SOLD M8

JJ0063

3 minutes ago, Mally said:

To be fair, if you make it look too ugly you will be refused on posh sites.

Stuff the posh sites. Aird Donald in Stranraer will take almost anything, plus it's a nice wee bit. Been going there since 2006 with my Gran and Grampa. Haven't been the past four years, mind you.

Needs a good clean up.

The wind annoyingly has beaten the TV aerial I noticed this morning. It wasn’t broken when I bought it and I didn’t hit anything.. it does seem brittle though. I don’t need it as we use a fire stick so I’ll probably just remove it and blank the hole. 

There’s so much stuff in the garage area that wasn’t in the advert, a lot of it I can sell to pay for some TLC.

So far I’ve found:

Awning 

2 x folding camping chairs 

Wooden folding table 

BBQ with a bag of charcoal

Halfords cool box

2 beach wind break type things (the coloured stripey ones)

New sealed jubilee clip set with tool to tighten them 

2 x hand saws

Plumbers pipe grips 

LPG Shower 

12v water pump to supply shower 

Jump leads 

Various screwdrivers

Brand new spare 10l fuel tank for the diesel heater 

2 cans of unopened underseal 

Some sort of handmade wooden decking area, possibly intended to be an outside place to stand for the shower I’d imagine 

There’s still more but I’ve had to come back inside as I’ve had on and off vertigo for a couple of months now and it’s been terrible today. 

Did manage to sort out all the windscreen cover and insulated interior ones too, all put away in the overhead storage above the cab for easy access.

Found some rust, I think the step will want some welding as I can see rust along the rubber inside the door but il cross that bridge if I need to later down the line. You don’t but a Transit and not be prepared to have welding done.

F1681C5B-3E56-4997-9AE0-A1C3C1D97DCB.jpeg

6595FB1D-C051-465E-8013-9E5B30FCBE52.jpeg

2937B5A2-181D-4632-99F6-FB0942F710C4.jpeg

37FA0D37-079F-4FBE-A92B-5B5F11C1BDA5.jpeg

I'm not a Transit fan, but that looks one hell of a lot of camper for the money. Even if you just polish the paintwork and sit on it until spring, you'd make some half decent coin on it I'd have thought. 

Was it you who sold the bargain Vivaro on here a while ago? I seem to remember it was a cracking deal.

3 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

I'm not a Transit fan, but that looks one hell of a lot of camper for the money. Even if you just polish the paintwork and sit on it until spring, you'd make some half decent coin on it I'd have thought. 

Was it you who sold the bargain Vivaro on here a while ago? I seem to remember it was a cracking deal.

The plan is certainly to get some Kurust on the surface bits ASAP then anything serious enough for MOT time will be sorted at that point (June) 

My other half loves the thing, I really don’t have much love for the look of a Transit but I love how they drive. 

I had the silver Primastar that I converted myself a couple of years back yeah 👍

Update: 

Haven't touched it since I got it home bar taking the mattress cover off to wash and sourcing the radio code and entering it. 

We’ve decided we are going to remove the toilet cubicle and do some reconfiguring over the next month or so - want to replace some of the masses of grey carpeting with wood cladding and likely a clad ceiling too. 

I’ve booked a camp site towards the Norfolk coast for Saturday night - we can then work out what bits we do and don’t like. Need to pop and get a carbon monoxide alarm from Screwfix tomorrow as not taking any chances.

7 hours ago, Dan_ZTT said:

Do the first camp before you remove the toilet. You may not realise how handy it is in the night until you've experienced it...

(I might be wrong but it's still worth checking first)

Yeah I won’t have time to remove it before we go anyway but from previous trips in other campers I’ve never fancied taking a shit next to mrs JJ so I’m fairly confident we won’t want it! 

Today I washed the mattress cover, refitted along with a mattress protector too. Nice and clean now.

Cleaned all the surfaces, cleaned the hobs/sink and made sure the important bit works.

Annoyingly the TV is fixed facing the seating so I’ve ordered a bracket from Amazon which means il be able to pull the TV out so it faces the bed. 

Tomorrow I need to clean the floor, load some luggage and head for the camp site. 

88822307-FB73-4971-8B46-536484B00584.jpeg

C362DF1C-AAFB-4A63-BF6A-2372030B0F19.jpeg

9 hours ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

A man of culture. I approve. 👍

Us campers know how to live.

Just woke up, pleased to say I only woke up once in the night because one of the dogs decided it wanted to sleep on my pillow. 

Amazingly the insulation is that good we had the heating off the whole night and it’s not even cold. Bearing in mind it’s pretty much gale force wind here too I’m chuffed.

Decided we are going to remove the toilet but keep the cubicle, move the fridge to the bottom of that, shelve the rest and make it into a bit of a pantry/cupboard.

Will then use the gap where the fridge was to have a dog crate so the dogs can sleep under us.

Just been catching up on this - congratulations looks like a good buy!

People's attitude to safety varies and some might consider what I'm going to suggest unnecessary but if it was mine I'd be doing the following:

- house the gas cylinder in it's own separate gas-tight compartment with vents to the outside. Propane is heavier than air so vents should be at the bottom

- are your leisure batteries the lead acid vented type? Connect battery vent hose to each of each battery (you can join them up with connectors/t-pieces) and although it'll mean cutting another hole get them to vent to the outside

Personally I'd try and keep potentially harmful gases out of my living space!

Have fun and enjoy it.

• JJ0063 changed the title to Transit Jumbo Campervan purchased
On 2/13/2022 at 6:21 PM, Sunny Jim said:

Just been catching up on this - congratulations looks like a good buy!

People's attitude to safety varies and some might consider what I'm going to suggest unnecessary but if it was mine I'd be doing the following:

- house the gas cylinder in it's own separate gas-tight compartment with vents to the outside. Propane is heavier than air so vents should be at the bottom

- are your leisure batteries the lead acid vented type? Connect battery vent hose to each of each battery (you can join them up with connectors/t-pieces) and although it'll mean cutting another hole get them to vent to the outside

Personally I'd try and keep potentially harmful gases out of my living space!

Have fun and enjoy it.

Thanks for that.

My plan is as and when the massive gas bottle is empty to replace it with a smaller one that I can fit into a gas bottle cupboard and vent it. The one it came with is massive and is overkill. 

I’ll check the batteries and vent accordingly!

So after our trip away I decided to order some parts as the aux belt is chirping and it’s doing my head in. The tensioner looks as though it’s worn and WD40 only stopped the belt for a couple of mins then it started again. New belt and tensioner on its way.

There’s a common issue on the 2.4 where oil leaks from a gasket between the water pump and vacuum pump.. ours is leaking so whilst I’ve got the belt off I may as well just do it. New vacuum pump and gasket ordered. 

Other less important bits waiting for pay day…

C2E54967-F759-403A-9F03-C6E6B053B7D0.png

The side markers are not my favourite things but the Jumbo has 2 each side from factory, 2 of mine have missing covers and it’s either eBay specials or £40 each from Ford! 

On 2/12/2022 at 4:55 PM, JJ0063 said:

Everyone seems to have levelling ramps. Are they important?

Yes, very important IMO! Camp on a wonk and just moving around the van is a chore and you're always uncomfortable.  Trying to sleep on even a fairly slight slope makes you wake up in knots. Horrible! I have a little spirit level thing I use to get as level as practically possible, always make sure your head is above your feet when you sleep. You soon develop an "eye" for it, my van is a few inches higher at the rear so if I park facing uphill that's half the battle won, then you can usually get away with just one ramp under the low corner.

On 2/11/2022 at 10:29 AM, JJ0063 said:

Yeah I won’t have time to remove it before we go anyway but from previous trips in other campers I’ve never fancied taking a shit next to mrs JJ so I’m fairly confident we won’t want it! 

Your priorities soon change when it's 4am and pissing down with rain and the loos are half a wile away across a muddy field, just close the door and tell her to hum a tune.

36 minutes ago, cobblers said:

Yes, very important IMO! Camp on a wonk and just moving around the van is a chore and you're always uncomfortable.  Trying to sleep on even a fairly slight slope makes you wake up in knots. Horrible! I have a little spirit level thing I use to get as level as practically possible, always make sure your head is above your feet when you sleep. You soon develop an "eye" for it, my van is a few inches higher at the rear so if I park facing uphill that's half the battle won, then you can usually get away with just one ramp under the low corner.

Your priorities soon change when it's 4am and pissing down with rain and the loos are half a wile away across a muddy field, just close the door and tell her to hum a tune.

Thanks for that! I’ll keep an eye out for some ramps then.

Toilet wise, touch wood I am still of an age where I don’t wake up during the night so a slash before bed will tide me over until morning. At the moment the space can be better used for storage!

7 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

Toilet wise, touch wood I am still of an age where I don’t wake up during the night so a slash before bed will tide me over until morning. At the moment the space can be better used for storage!

I'm the same except when I've been on the beers the night before, which does occasionally happen when one is camping.

I'm actually half tempted to nab your toilet.  With that, the inverter-powered fan heater and a blow up mattress in the back of the Maxus I've got myself a fully equipped* camper.