Scrap Prices

CortinaDave

Just curious why scrap is so high at the moment? My local yard is running ads on the radio offering £300 minimum for drive-ins.

Seems not long ago I binned a sierra and walked away with the princely sum of £10.

Double edged sword as it means there's far less rock bottom cheapos on gumtree

Probably same as everything else, post Kung-flu increased demands and lack of supply. I don't know the exact process involved in making metals for building cars but I imagine it starts with digging some large  holes in the ground and what happens after that probably takes a while. We get the same at work when people somehow couldn't grasp why we couldn't simply 'get' more wood.

Cats and alloys are making big money too, when I scrapped my Mitsi at the start of the year they asked if both were present, and I ended up getting £270 for a small 1100Kg car that was probably 50% rust.

3 minutes ago, Spiny Norman said:

Cats and alloys are making big money too, when I scrapped my Mitsi at the start of the year they asked if both were present, and I ended up getting £270 for a small 1100Kg car that was probably 50% rust.

Ooof! my 5x14" Mitzzie alloys (unmarked) £70 = mega barg then 😉

I had my eyes opened after scrapping two cats off two cars I had. I got waaay more than I expected. 

But everyone seems to be getting good money for their cars than I am. 

Because my locals here are mean as. Was "only" offered £200 for an 06 Vectra CDTi. 

So whipped the wheels and flogged the rest to a mate for that. As he fortunately saw a good car in it and is fixing it instead. 

On 2/5/2022 at 12:01 PM, gadgetgricey said:

That will have had £700 worth of cats on it so someone did well