A40 - stage one f@#kin finally

Matty

And finally, the money shots. How bloody good do they look?!? Exactly the picture I had in my head before I even bought the car. Slightly wider at 13x5.5 but I've stuck with the same sized tyre (165/70) so I've just got a bit more graduation from contact patch to sidewall I guess.

20220510_114818.thumb.jpg.0e386283f9d3adc3e368ed6446fca5fa.jpg20220510_153744.thumb.jpg.0a535c2dc391f857d9447371b3438f9f.jpg20220510_153803.thumb.jpg.81ab43473e4ce7d4303dc00b6c66ebb0.jpg

On 5/7/2022 at 10:33 PM, Matty said:

Out of interest, albeit you've not been far yet, but bgt or midget so far, which do you like more?

Midget reminded me of sitting in a 3 wheeled Reliant. Legs down a too small tunnel sort of thing. I didn't enjoy it enough to buy one 

MGB Gt proper car.   Roadster I never took to somehow.

Gt had wider tyres, dunno if that made the difference.

6 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Now that's how an A40 should look! BLoody good work, hope you enjoy driving it.

Cheers bud. Yes I really do enjoy driving it. I'm hoping that  the driving it/mending it balance is beginning to tilt in my favour 😂 (famous last words)

6 minutes ago, SiC said:

I prefer the rubber bumpers especially with the front splitter, but no one believes me!

Not quite as pretty as a chrome bumper, but with the benefit of hindsight they do a bloody good job of integrating them into the design

2 hours ago, SiC said:

I prefer the rubber bumpers especially with the front splitter, but no one believes me!

They don't photograph well, that's the trouble.  Get the right colour - black, chocolate brown, bright yellow, white - and lowered back to pre-rubber height they actually look pretty good in person.

The new wheels on the A40 look really good, matches the rest of the car very nicely.  The seat upgrade is a great choice too, for when that happens.

• 1 month later...

I had a bit of a good update planned for tonight but it turned out an anticlimax in the end. We had planned a good run out to acid test mine and a 280 TVR Tamsin that our Tony bought not long after I got mine. The Motorist up in North Yorkshire was running a "cars you don't see anymore" meet today. Well, from where we are (east lancs) what a nice run. Burnley to Skipton, over Blubberhouses to Harrogate and onward. Run went well, the little Austin seems to be getting quicker all the time. The meet itself, what a waste of time. There were plenty of people there, but no cars save a row of mark 2 and 3 cavaliers.

We parked up and got a brew and there were folk all over ours taking pictures and stuff. Poor buggers, they'd obviously been there all day waiting to look at something decent and ours was the best it got. Then another poor bastard in a lovely A60 Cambridge turned up having driven all the way from Sale. No sooner had we said "what a lovely thing, didn't they look mint as an estate" than one drove in! And look at the paucity in front of him and drove straight out 😂

Anyway, some shit photos cos I was a bit deflated.

20220611_095810.thumb.jpg.64e6821d7d422211edd0db15e9be9cee.jpg

Good news is the A40 flew there and back. Pulls really well, far better than a standard 1098. Didn't use a drop of oil or water. Developed a slight miss after getting stinking hot crawling through a very congested Harrogate on the way home, but soon cleared with some fresh air. Much better updates available when I've sold some shit and freed up some funds for adjustable telescopics on the back end and uprated valves for me armstrongs on the front. Seats will have to wait 😄

Fin.

20220611_175448.thumb.jpg.006ce7c795ce6bad19135386ee3143fb.jpg

On 5/6/2022 at 9:45 PM, Mally said:

I'm sure* it will be fine...............but the rotor arm on @Mrs Spart 's MGB was Distributer Doctor like your's.  That's why I didn't twig it straight away.

It had been stood a while though.

And it's still running like a dream...

Took it out to a Jubilee Event recently 👌🏽♥️👌🏽

Screenshot_20220613-143938_Instagram.jpg

• 1 month later...

Thanks for that @Scrubworks. Nothing much going on at present. The state of the suspension front and back us increasingly making itself known. I reckon the PO just nailed the car back together using all the old components. Every rubber Bush is old and perished, the lever arms at the front are comically soft and the telescopics at the rear rattle and bang. I've identified a complete front end poly Bush kit at Motobuild, a firm down Kent which makes and supplies uprated and adjustable valves for the armstrong dampers and Spax are still making uprated gas filled telescopics.

However, I'm not keen on spending family money on  this project, so I'm in the process of trying to sell some stuff to free up funds. So hopefully some better updates in the next few months!

7 hours ago, Matty said:

Thanks for that @Scrubworks. Nothing much going on at present. The state of the suspension front and back us increasingly making itself known. I reckon the PO just nailed the car back together using all the old components. Every rubber Bush is old and perished, the lever arms at the front are comically soft and the telescopics at the rear rattle and bang. I've identified a complete front end poly Bush kit at Motobuild, a firm down Kent which makes and supplies uprated and adjustable valves for the armstrong dampers and Spax are still making uprated gas filled telescopics.

However, I'm not keen on spending family money on  this project, so I'm in the process of trying to sell some stuff to free up funds. So hopefully some better updates in the next few months!

Much like my Minor then. Pulled the front suspension apart last year, and found some bushes that were basically non-existent, and some that still said MOWOG on them and had clearly never been changed. Polybushing will make it much better. I prefer SuperPro brand bushes myself but on a design this old it hardly matters. The armstrong dampers can be refilled with a thicker oil if you want to uprate them. I filled the ones on my Moggy with SAE 40 oil (standard is SAE 20), which would be perfect for a track, but on the road is way too harsh. I'm now draining and refilling them again to SAE 30 which should be ok. For the rear, check the U bolts that hold the axle onto the springs. They can loosen over time and cause issues, and often get overlooked.