A40 - stage one f@#kin finally

Matty

41 minutes ago, barrett said:

That looks much better! Are you planning to sort out the 'budget blue' paint at some point?

Very much so at some point (long way) in the future. Though not in the original colour. Controversial I know, but I'm not a fan of the green. Old English white with a black roof is what it wants. Loads to do before that point unfortunately, and all money dependant 

Went to a car show this morning. Some nice stuff overwhelmed by rows of modern supercars. Good turn out though. Rolled up to the gate for the crack and asked if they were letting me in to exhibit. This was the end result 😁

20220417_103609.thumb.jpg.fc342b035d048a08d250529f9720fba1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So on drive it day, this didn't. Started fine and ran up to temp in the garage then, just as I was about to go out, started missing popping banging and no throttle response. Shut the door in a sulk and left it.

Started again when I'd calmed down. Checked points gap, cleaned them checked for spark. Started up first crack as per and ran fine. So I'm thinking coil or condenser. So I bought some nice things

20220506_174955.thumb.jpg.4bc7f65d8cf047839163ae1ca49fce15.jpg20220506_153428.thumb.jpg.84d32b0183cd56f2b13f052baa7a886e.jpg

Long story, it's all on here somewhere.

Because original rotor arm was DD I left it alone. Sorted a few bits and pieces, got it running, ran it 15 mins or so.

She jumped in for a test drive........it stopped and wouldn't start.

I ordered new red rotor arm, delivered to her house. She fitted it.  It's been fine ever since.

19 minutes ago, Mally said:

Long story, it's all on here somewhere.

Because original rotor arm was DD I left it alone. Sorted a few bits and pieces, got it running, ran it 15 mins or so.

She jumped in for a test drive........it stopped and wouldn't start.

I ordered new red rotor arm, delivered to her house. She fitted it.  It's been fine ever since.

Should be sound. This one was brand new this afternoon. Cheers for the heads up though

1 hour ago, Matty said:

Seems right as rain now but tomorow will tell I guess. Thanks to @SiC and @Mally for getting me to buy good products not cheap shit. 

Onwards and upwards!

I can recommend DD electronic ignition, I fitted this to my Zodiac about 18 years ago now and haven’t touched the ignition system since, it started first time easily a few weeks ago after being left untouched in the garage for 6 months.

19 minutes ago, bigstraight6 said:

I can recommend DD electronic ignition, I fitted this to my Zodiac about 18 years ago now and haven’t touched the ignition system since, it started first time easily a few weeks ago after being left untouched in the garage for 6 months.

Not being a natural born fettler I'm really keen on the idea of electronic ignition. But then every old school mechanic from my uncle upwards says nowt wrong with points. Me I just want the car to be as reliable as it can be. The pleasures in the driving for me, I mend stuff because I have to, not because I want to 😄

59 minutes ago, Matty said:

Not being a natural born fettler I'm really keen on the idea of electronic ignition. But then every old school mechanic from my uncle upwards says nowt wrong with points. Me I just want the car to be as reliable as it can be. The pleasures in the driving for me, I mend stuff because I have to, not because I want to 😄

Go for it, it’s much better than a couple of bits of bendy old tin that need adjusting with a feeler gauge at very regular intervals! 

Well it works again. GLF as well. Even got wheelspin and a bit of a fishtail out of a junction 🤣 . Of course it rewarded more love and attention by developing a rather large oil leak on arriving home. Sigh. Never mind, I'll get on it tomorow. Looks like gasket on oil filter housing at a cursory glance. I've a big sheet of Cork gasket at work I was using on a job.

I've got a really nice set of wheels to go on which was supposed to be a decent update, but you have to sort the running in issues first before commencing the tart up.

1 hour ago, SiC said:

Personally if I can get one for a car, I much prefer 123 ignition than these modules. Most dizzys are knackered by now and the cost of repairing them you can get a 123ignition. 

What's that then Si? I'm assuming it isn't just solid state bits replacing the points and condenser in a normal dizzy?

What's that then Si? I'm assuming it isn't just solid state bits replacing the points and condenser in a normal dizzy?
Complete new dizzy designed specifically for electronic ignition. Cap and rotor are Bosch or Beru items, so made by manufacturers who actually know how to make these things properly. Go for the Tune/Tune+ then the dizzy curve can be altered on the fly. A decent Dyno place that knows how to tune classic engines should be able to work one.

The problem with many Lucas dizzys is the vac advance capsules usually are dead, springs worn out and shaft wobbling all over the place.

27 minutes ago, SiC said:

Complete new dizzy designed specifically for electronic ignition. Cap and rotor are Bosch or Beru items, so made by manufacturers who actually know how to make these things properly. Go for the Tune/Tune+ then the dizzy curve can be altered on the fly. A decent Dyno place that knows how to tune classic engines should be able to work one.

The problem with many Lucas dizzys is the vac advance capsules usually are dead, springs worn out and shaft wobbling all over the place.

Mines relatively new. The vac advance is disconnected as the lad who did the rolling Road said it was advancing fine by centrifugal. Worth looking into though, I spend that much time buggering about with feeler gauges at work that I can't be that arsed with doing it to the car too regularly. 

Possibly not worth it for yours then if your dizzy is in good condition. Distributor Doctor wanted £280 to fix my knackered MGB dizzy. 123ignition was about 50quid more but I do eventually intend to get the head worked on and then a Dyno run to get the best power out of it.  So made complete sense for me to go 123ign.

6 minutes ago, SiC said:

Possibly not worth it for yours then if your dizzy is in good condition. Distributor Doctor wanted £280 to fix my knackered MGB dizzy. 123ignition was about 50quid more but I do eventually intend to get the head worked on and then a Dyno run to get the best power out of it.  So made complete sense for me to go 123ign.

Out of interest, albeit you've not been far yet, but bgt or midget so far, which do you like more?

18 minutes ago, Matty said:

Out of interest, albeit you've not been far yet, but bgt or midget so far, which do you like more?

That's a great question and one I'm looking forward to finding out. I was put off getting a Midget when I had the BGT as often said why get two alike cars. Part of the reason why I went down the road of getting the Moggie as that is different enough. However reading more into actual driving, there is a lot of difference between the two. 

Too early for me to properly judge. Not least my BGT is pretty much fully sorted and the Midget has a long way before then. However off the bat I reckon they serve different purposes and can easily justify both.

The MGB always has been more of a Grand Touring type of vehicle. Fun to drive, big boot to store luggage but also comfortable to cover long distance. Think as a modern example like a Porsche Cayman. You'd go in it for somewhere on holiday quite a distance away.

Whereas the Midget is small, light and very nimble. Much better to throw around, more involved but less practical and not as comfortable. Think as a modern example like a Lotus Elise. You'd go for a early morning/evening blast around country lanes to have a bit of fun. 

So much so, I'm tempted to not even bother fixing the roof of it. Take it out on a nice day and go to a car meet or just a spirited drive. Then park it back into the garage overnight. Maybe possibly even get a full length tonneau cover. I quite like the look of convertibles when they have no hood at all on the back. 

I think a harder choice would be a classic Mini Vs a Spridget. 

45 minutes ago, SiC said:

That's a great question and one I'm looking forward to finding out. I was put off getting a Midget when I had the BGT as often said why get two alike cars. Part of the reason why I went down the road of getting the Moggie as that is different enough. However reading more into actual driving, there is a lot of difference between the two. 

Too early for me to properly judge. Not least my BGT is pretty much fully sorted and the Midget has a long way before then. However off the bat I reckon they serve different purposes and can easily justify both.

The MGB always has been more of a Grand Touring type of vehicle. Fun to drive, big boot to store luggage but also comfortable to cover long distance. Think as a modern example like a Porsche Cayman. You'd go in it for somewhere on holiday quite a distance away.

Whereas the Midget is small, light and very nimble. Much better to throw around, more involved but less practical and not as comfortable. Think as a modern example like a Lotus Elise. You'd go for a early morning/evening blast around country lanes to have a bit of fun. 

So much so, I'm tempted to not even bother fixing the roof of it. Take it out on a nice day and go to a car meet or just a spirited drive. Then park it back into the garage overnight. Maybe possibly even get a full length tonneau cover. I quite like the look of convertibles when they have no hood at all on the back. 

I think a harder choice would be a classic Mini Vs a Spridget. 

I've only driven one mini. Good crack and obviously handle well but, maybe I'm getting older, I really don't mind the Armstrong dampers. I imagine it a bit like a 60s/70s French car, once you get past the lean, there's a lot of progression and mechanical grip there. As I'm building familiarity and confidence in mine I'm amazed at how fast I can enter corners. The limiting factor in my book is the steering box. Lovely light steering but not much clue what's going on. I'd love to bodge a rack in it.

Picture heavy update. I've had wheels and tyres ready to go on this for ages. First the studs in both front hubs were bent (fuck knows how, must have been someone's good idea cos how do you bend 8 studs by accident?). Then the studs on the rear hubs were too short. So took a days holiday and headed to the unit in a car loaded with parts.