Car / Motorcycle - what did you have first.

Darling

A hideous Casal 50 moped on 28/10/75. Top speed 38mph.

I wanted a Yamaha fizzy, but my Dad was tight and knew the importer for Casal, so bought me one without even asking me if I wanted it.

I rode it a few times, then left it sat in the garden for 6 months. Then sold it for £80 which was £100 less then the old man paid for it.

He was not happy. 😂

18 hours ago, Bradders59 said:

A hideous Casal 50 moped on 28/10/75. Top speed 38mph.

I wanted a Yamaha fizzy, but my Dad was tight and knew the importer for Casal, so bought me one without even asking me if I wanted it.

I rode it a few times, then left it sat in the garden for 6 months. Then sold it for £80 which was £100 less then the old man paid for it.

He was not happy. 😂

My mate had a Casal, much faster that the Fantic GT and Fizzies.

After 1500 miles he had seized the piston which unfortunately took out the bottom end. He couldn't get any parts ( this was a brand new bike). Never knew what happened to it,as never saw it again

Must have been a different or later model than mine. First time I rode it I thought it was a wee flying machine until I realised the speedo was in km/h. 🤣

Top speed was 38mph. Never seemed to be able to get it above that no matter what I tried.

Bloke I sold it to spent a week and a fivers worth of petrol riding it 600 miles around Ireland !

Nutter. 🤪

big_202109132216230.8CFD7D7F-7104-4469-A

One these bad boys. Mine had a bike rack and we got five of us on it riding around the school playground one time.

Got a CD 10 on that moped. Still pisses me off now almost 40 years later. Apparently a motorbike, some witnesses said was large and black, pulled out to overtake a line of five cars in a nsl causing oncoming traffic to swerve and brake. The car behind was too close and hit the first punting it into the ditch. Kevin Rickhard stood up in court and said he kept me in his sights for the two miles it took to catch up. He knew it was a white Honda CB50J but couldn't tell what colour helmet I had on or what colour jacket I was wearing . I rode to college on that road every day.

My first legal car was a Mini 1275GT. Didn't get it on the road until maybe six months after I passed my test due to having to cut out the rot and gas weld new panels in. My first car was a Bond Bug , imagine a 17 year old trying to insure a three wheeler with no doors with a careless driving conviction.

D004904C-A3FF-450D-8921-CEB40717A6AB.jpeg.fae5b0fd2307a237b7cf3ed6abdba8e5.jpegF37F8D01-964B-40F9-B874-99CF14E6AFFC.jpeg.81d3e2f47b61e39e50c29c67c9d90024.jpeg

As with so many others here, long before digital and I didn’t even have a 35mm until I was about 22.

The Fizzy was a 76 with the pedals removed and footrests welded on , it went well meaning I could leave smaller, lighter mates on brand new but restricted AR and DT 50’s behind on hills . Although the fastest it ever went was  standing  up in the boot of a 2.5 V6 Consul when I moved from Wales to London.

The Cortina was a 1970 1600 deluxe, I found it when I was 14 hanging around the trade ins behind the local Ford dealer in my school lunch hour. Got my Mum to buy it for £100 - it was 8 years old 1 owner with 20,000 miles, but what we’d now call Giffered, every panel was scuffed and touched up with a different shade of red. I took it over at 17  and abused it mercilessly for a year or so , it lost its bumpers and gained Rover P6 leather and deep dish Sports wheels ( Dartboards) . My brother then had it and as an apprentice panel beater , totally restored the body - it was immaculate when he swapped it for a Mazda RX4  coupe with a Starsky and Hutch paint job and a2.0Pinto.  Wonder where it ended up?

Just spoken to my brother about the Cortina and he reckons the bloke that had it off him turned it into a 1600E as the shell was so good- even in the early 80’s a Mk2 with original strut tops was a rarity, to make it worth more he also swapped the 1600E I’d over- so it could still be out there.

Note for a couple of years it looks like it was using either bent MOTs and nicked Tax discs - easiest thing in the World pre- ANPR etc or my brother used to borrow the TradePlates from work.

CA791474-ABB6-4EE9-8FA2-4001CF7FEC8D.thumb.jpeg.fa5c622c85cd9eb665d0271b19792fbf.jpegFC88C825-AEB5-423D-A7D0-8531BD1F40EC.thumb.jpeg.85c81b670f05c76ad1a37faaea26e8e1.jpeg

359B602E-8C60-4A27-AC32-B3A7D35D0D28.jpeg.e8f3f8dcb24528f4668409429ecae85a.jpeg

It might live on , in disguise…

( Random picture, I’m not suggesting this is a ringer!)

No pics sadly cos it was long ago but first two wheeler was a Suzuki AP50,RJB 685R ,last of the unrestricted pedal ones bought new from Comerfords in Thames Ditton.First car was a Fiat 124 twin cam saloon(the smaller1438cc one) HPL 375K which at 8 years old was unsurprisingly a bit crispy but taught me a lot about emergency roadside repairs.😄.

Honda C70, would have been 1981 and it was about 12-18 months old, iirc. Something like £1.70 a week on HP, managed to blow it up then got a spare engine. Rode it to work in the snow with no gloves on, had anyone pulled out I'd have just hit them as my fingers were frozen to the handlebars. Then moved up to the dizzy heights of a 1978 Kawasaki KH125, which felt like an absolute rocket in comparison and cemented a life long love of the 2T engine

On 2/2/2022 at 5:51 PM, georgeinabz said:

Rd50m, with the restriction plate knocked out of the exhaust , geared up 45mph on the straight, decoke every few hundred miles was a pain in the backside , also never realised about JIS screws so they got all destroyed 78e301505d022937fb102c645b40acdd.jpg

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

I made the mistake of buying one of those when I was 16. The lack of speed compared to my mates riding pre '77 50s did my head in after a week.

On 2/1/2022 at 6:04 PM, Six-cylinder said:

I owned a moped before a car and needed it to get to my summer job as no buses would get me there for the start time. An emergency purchase I think it was £60 for a 1973 Puch MS50D with 3 gears on the twist grip. Very Similar to this picture.

PUCH_MS50_D.jpg

I had one of those as a field bike back in 1985. I sold it on to a lad from school called Dave King and this reminds me that he still owes me some money for it.

7 hours ago, warren t claim said:

I had one of those as a field bike back in 1985. I sold it on to a lad from school called Dave King and this reminds me that he still owes me some money for it.

I wanted a Puch MS50D again and a few years ago they seems reasonably priced and went after a couple, but got beaten to them or outbid. Suddenly the prices doubled, trebled and more and now I don't see much hope of finding a pocket money priced one to relive my youth.

If Dave King has not paid for yours then reclaim it and I will pay you the outstanding money for it as I suspect 1980s prices will be more tolerable.

First car for me was the P38 at 18. 

This is the first pic after brining it home, and realising what I'd bought! 

FgyedqF.jpg

An old P38 with a faults list longer than my leg, and a very wheezy V8 that wouldn't crack 12mpg on a good day.. 

I was a complete muppet at 18, "still am" so with money I didn't have and determination I managed to scrape by for a while until I went from my shitty Job to a proper full time gig, which allowed to to buy fuel and food,  not just one or the other!! ;):)🤪

🤣

As for 2 wheel, never had one.. 

I did try a yamaha 125 but I'm far too large to ride a scooter or any bike! lol