Door lock came out in my hand! BMW E91

horriblemercedes

Phone breakdown imo.

The big ones have a database to open different cars without busting the locks.

I believe E90 can have the microswitch in the back of the lock pushed to open all the windows. They disabled it in a recall but depends if it's been done before.

53 minutes ago, sdkrc said:

Balls.

If the supermarket sells coat hangers you could try jimmy your way back in through the top of the door or via the lock?

Not sure how relevant this is but screwdriver through the empty door lock slot works for this e90

https://youtu.be/yY5mUzPMqaY

U R A STAR!

This worked perfectly. Got a lift home, collected the V5 (in case I was challenged because trying to open a car with a screw driver looks dodgy as anything!), used a screw driver to jimmy it and it opened up.

Now I just need to make sure I leave no valuables in it and I'll replace the lock ASAP.

Thank you for all thoughts and replies here

1 hour ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Slight aside, but do you know why the remote doesn't work? And yes, it sounds like a window is your best option 😶

I think it's a common fault on these - a wire/wires in the rubber boot in the tailgate breaks over time and knocks the system out. I wasn't going to bother fixing it but I think I will now! 

1 hour ago, JJ0063 said:

Was just going to say the e90 has a barrel in the tailgate so I’m sure an e91 will? Quite well hidden on them you have to look where the number plate lights are IIRC it’s to the right 

I think that's because you can't get to the boot where the battery is if it goes flat. In an estate, it's easy to climb through from the front. I did look for one. It may be there and I couldn't find it! 

3 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Can you get a finger in the hole (fnarr) and find the lock mechanism and unlock it that way?  There's probably a lever to lift or something somewhere in there.

It appears that the cylinder operates a micro switch quite deep inside which operates an actuator so I didn't think this would work. I couldn't have managed it without quite a long, broad screw driver but your principle worked perfectly