What's your todays weapon of choice

Darling

52 minutes ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Once I can get my hands on the Avensis SR we'll have to do a back-to-back comparison. It's 2-litre gives much the same power.

I saw a dirty white 600 on the A14 yesterday, possibly on a V-reg (did they go that late?).

Sounds like a plan!

I haven’t seen that 600. V reg were the very last sold, they must have been hanging around the best part of a year before being registered as the 75 was launched on an S reg. 
In the last year, I’ve seen a couple in the old car Mecca of Southend, including this one very nice gold one, which made me do a double take. Sadly I was a passenger in a different car on both occasions I saw it, once when it was driving with the stereotypical retired couple in it. It has a private plate too.

6F662410-D698-4B43-92E8-D80B1BC1BF8D.thumb.jpeg.771ab139dec23e0d0f94c032123e5c02.jpeg

The other one is a white V reg 618, which could even be the one you saw, but about 60 miles away from its ‘patch’ means it’s quite unlikely. It’s low mileage and seems to just run around locally.
The only one in Suffolk I’ve seen in the last couple of years was this rather tired looking early example doing a stall at Needham Market car boot last year:

C51C89E3-AB67-47A3-A2F0-4F48819D5A78.thumb.jpeg.a8c668b5639bd8949eee45b892ade9ba.jpeg

Spoke to the owner and congratulated him on his excellent choice of car. He turned out to be a very friendly American chap who said he bought it for £400 ten years ago and it’s been perfectly reliable, he loves his and has every intention of keeping it going.

I hope he does manage to, it’s going to need welding to both rear arches soon, not to mention there’s not a straight panel on it, but it was nice to see in a sea of financed modern cars.

1 minute ago, Angrydicky said:

Sounds like a plan!

I haven’t seen that 600..............

The L-reg one you saw reminds me of one that used to be at the toy fairs, but that seems to have been scrapped.

There's this one in/around Diss, which appears to have been local from new and has now clicked over 100k:

1996 Rover 620 GSi Auto

12 hours ago, Angrydicky said:

My trusty Rover 600. I love this car, it’s comfortable and supremely reliable, it’s quick enough being the 130bhp 2.0 Honda engine, and not too bad on petrol either. I wasn’t sure about the idea of a manual Rover, but now I’m used to it I love it, which is why I’m planning to lavish a load of attention, new parts and sparkly stick action on it to get it through another test. I’ve already splashed out on two new Goodyear tyres for it.

It’s certainly been a good car for me, and by the time the mot comes around early March, I will have done circa 15,000 in it since the last test,  with no breakdowns and little more than an oil and filter change.

It’s a nice looking car (imo) simple reliable Japanese running gear, old enough that it’s starting to get interesting, and it’s been a long time since I’ve seen another one. And it cost £250.

2CAF879C-5D78-4807-9C84-622FF82D1C81.jpeg

I used to live next door to a family that had a racing green one of those.  I had one or two runs out in it as a passenger and recall thinking that it seemed to be the epitome of a plush, posh car.  Miles better than our old Cavalier. 

I do like those 530d estates, depending what you want for it i mat be interested as the C1 will be going to the Daughter in law soon i think, i had a C63 (205) Estate in the Same colour as that Vito

On 1/25/2022 at 9:36 PM, stuboy said:

where you located?

On 1/27/2022 at 3:16 PM, Arfur Foxache said:

Vito 3.jpg

530D 1.jpg

C2.JPG

476326F6-6F52-49CE-8B91-08B043B7ED89.thumb.jpeg.18198907b9b8b6f8d0ce421374782145.jpeg

If we’re posting pics of 600 s. Here’s one @Angrydickymight recognise. Bought from a nice bloke in Southend ( not so sure about his son, mind) for £100 in 2013 . My daughters took it on a European Roadtrip with no issues , and then my car killer daughter abused it for a further 2 years , crashing it at least 3 times before selling it for £100 to a 600 lover who wanted the leather interior . 

2 hours ago, Missy Charm said:

I used to live next door to a family that had a racing green one of those.  I had one or two runs out in it as a passenger and recall thinking that it seemed to be the epitome of a plush, posh car.  Miles better than our old Cavalier. 

I used to live next door to the Earl of Plymouth. His wife and his daughter in law both had Rover 623s, in dark red and British Racing Green. They did look the part I have to say. 

The Earl himself drove an antediluvian Subaru 1800 GL, and before that a lime green Cortina, proving that shiteing is also the preserve of the landed gentry.

2 hours ago, warch said:

I used to live next door to the Earl of Plymouth. His wife and his daughter in law both had Rover 623s, in dark red and British Racing Green. They did look the part I have to say. 

The Earl himself drove an antediluvian Subaru 1800 GL, and before that a lime green Cortina, proving that shiteing is also the preserve of the landed gentry.

I'd hazard a guess he bought that Subaru from William A Lewis of Ludlow back in the day then? I met him years back, pleasant enough old boy. My Blacksmith mate did a little bit of a job for him.

2 hours ago, Scruffy Bodger said:

I'd hazard a guess he bought that Subaru from William A Lewis of Ludlow back in the day then? I met him years back, pleasant enough old boy. My Blacksmith mate did a little bit of a job for him.

Very probably. Yes he was a lovely old chap, he was on active service as an infantry captain during the war, and was well liked and respected on the estate. Apparently he used to pitch in when the harvest was on to lend a hand. 

11 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Once I can get my hands on the Avensis SR we'll have to do a back-to-back comparison. It's 2-litre gives much the same power.

I saw a dirty white 600 on the A14 yesterday, possibly on a V-reg (did they go that late?).

Didn't realise/had forgotten there was another 2014 RX on here. Mine's doing a fair few miles at present, so also not at all clean.

Yours looks like a Premier?

It is indeed a Premier.  Two years in and I enjoy every journey 😀

My old boss had a 504 pickup I used it to collect wood on a youth work residential camping on a hill farm in Wales. Kids in the back down the fire road the drove back with them on roof, bonnet, on top of substantial wood pile. Dropped the wood off then went drifting with the kids in the back, all had a whale of a time till the keys got taken off me. 

A need to tow our small but lightly loaded car trailer today gave me the choice of 3 working cars with a towbar.

1. My modern Range Rover has its tow bar set to high and tips that trailer back so all the load is on the rear wheels. I have an  adjustable height dropper but it requires me to find a 24mm spanner and socket and heave!
  2. The Alfa 156 Sportswagon has a towbar and could have done the job just fine. 
  3. The Citroen XM  is a bit bigger, self levelling, and the auto makes it a bit easier to manoeuvre. Bonus the XM plate was already on the trailer.

A successful mission to collect some broken but free Herras fencing for the FoD in the XM.

IMG_20220131_125229 broad.jpg

On 1/30/2022 at 7:21 AM, Spottedlaurel said:

The L-reg one you saw reminds me of one that used to be at the toy fairs, but that seems to have been scrapped.

There's this one in/around Diss, which appears to have been local from new and has now clicked over 100k:

1996 Rover 620 GSi Auto

A mate of mine has a 620 diesel in near-daily use. I’ll try to get some photos next time I see him. 

After sitting in the garage since the end of September the 205 came out this morning for a run to the petrol station and a local pootle as its MOT is due in a few weeks.

DSCF3041.JPG.b281ee2e573eb7b0e6635ea118322d85.JPG

This afternoon I took the Fabia out for a run in the country and a walk down the lane for me.DSCF3042.JPG.e83ed3fc67d7aa3129b2654d1f98a1f8.JPG 

I started driving out to hear in Summer 2020 as it gave the car some exercise and it was good for social distancing (or any other kind of distancing for that matter).🙂

DSCF3043.JPG.36cd4249c8ba2ea56115ff1cc95cdea1.JPG

Tomorrow will be the Saxo and Rover as long as the Rover's battery hasn't gone flat again.