JJ0063’s current steed - Life of an impulsive car owner [N47 CHAIN GANG] T5 OFF THE FLEET

JJ0063

1 hour ago, JJ0063 said:

Mildly pissed off

Get a message via the other halves FB someone responding to the FB ad I’d posted. Recognised the name as a friend of a friend and he only lives 10 mins away so was ideal. Spoke at length, he asked me every question under the sun and for a million photos of every piece of paperwork etc so was as polite as can be. Organised a viewing for yesterday evening 

Turns up when he said, looked round it, I took him out in it, said he needed to have a think as the miles were higher than he wanted. 

Then proceeds to say that what his plan actually was, was that he’s found a very similar one with lower miles for sale but it’s over in Northampton, so as he’s never sat in one or looked round one before he thought it would be handy to see mine so he knows what they’re like, before going to view the one he plans go buy?!

Could’ve slapped the twat. 

Have you had the barrage of useless offers yet?

6 minutes ago, Bren said:

Have you had the barrage of useless offers yet?

I’ve only posted it on the e92 for sale group, haven’t dared open it up to full marketplace just yet. 

Ebay has only generated one single enquiry which is a chap from Romford who is apparently coming in the morning. We shall see. 

• JJ0063 changed the title to SOLD 2008 BMW e92 335D

Agreed a price with the mate I sold my 5 series to just over a year ago and I’m collecting it next Saturday, he’s just having a new windscreen fitted in the week and it gives me a chance to sort insurance etc. 

It’s the car I had a new timing chain, new clutch etc on. He’s had 4 new tyres, new brakes and a service so it will hopefully still be a well sorted car. 

195k 5 series incoming.. again..

137D146B-0FF8-4943-A485-6EB45906F3BA.jpeg

B2360E5B-E064-4B79-84AD-2B5FBF539F63.jpeg

10 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

Plates on, decided to put my other one on for a change, think I actually prefer it to M444

15C804BB-FA9D-4B83-9A8C-C16A44821091.jpeg

CE9E9535-782F-4200-BB2F-2E82AC6DB9BC.jpeg

That is smart. I am always let down by the boot space of new estates. Would still love to daily drive this though. My mate has an E90 330d. Its about 275BHP and gets 57mpg on a run. I mean that's just not fair is it.

2 hours ago, tom13 said:

That is smart. I am always let down by the boot space of new estates. Would still love to daily drive this though. My mate has an E90 330d. Its about 275BHP and gets 57mpg on a run. I mean that's just not fair is it.

This is pretty big - specs say 570l boot space with seats up and 1700l with seats down 

It’s got the retractable roller parcel shelf which auto retracts when the boot is opened, also has a built in dog guard and the boot lid is the split type where you can just open the glass. Also boot is electric opening and closing from the key so it’s all pretty practical. 

It’s not a fast car, 184bhp in a car this size is enough but not fast. I think coming from the 335D it’s going to feel slow though.

The M57 engine your friend has is simply the best BMW diesel ever made IMO, if I could have had my 335D but in manual, I would have done (they don’t do a manual version) 

The F11 is also a lot more modern inside than the E9X cars so it does naturally feel like an upgrade again which is nice. 

53 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

This is pretty big - specs say 570l boot space with seats up and 1700l with seats down 

It’s got the retractable roller parcel shelf which auto retracts when the boot is opened, also has a built in dog guard and the boot lid is the split type where you can just open the glass. Also boot is electric opening and closing from the key so it’s all pretty practical. 

It’s not a fast car, 184bhp in a car this size is enough but not fast. I think coming from the 335D it’s going to feel slow though.

The M57 engine your friend has is simply the best BMW diesel ever made IMO, if I could have had my 335D but in manual, I would have done (they don’t do a manual version) 

The F11 is also a lot more modern inside than the E9X cars so it does naturally feel like an upgrade again which is nice. 

184 is more than enough in reality.

Its the drop on the boot that gets me, they all slope too much and that makes them useless for what I need then.

• JJ0063 changed the title to SOLD e92 335D now back in my old 5 series..
  • 1 month later...
  • JJ0063 changed the title to JJ0063’s current steed

So after the huge stress of  5 days of T4 ownership most of you will know I ended up buying a Scirocco because it was £30 a year tax and cheap to run with fuel prices being the way they are at the moment.

Had it around 8 weeks now and to be honest it’s just great. Sees 63+ MPG without trying and the interior is a nice place to be. It does feel on the small side from what I’ve been used to but in reality that’s just me liking bigger cars, I have no real need for anything more than this. 

I do really want silver wheels as I’m way passed the boy racer phase and would much prefer something completely standard.. I put a post on the Scirocco Facebook page the other day saying if anyone wants to swap the same wheels in silver then to let me know. 

Only things I’ve had done is air con regas and fitted a VW CarPlay stereo.

Apart from that, no complaints. It’s very dirty at the moment but I’m enjoying owning it. 

T4 saga has completely put me off changing cars so often, so I have no intention of changing this any time soon!

40125C09-056A-4AC4-9D3A-E18E8B785A18.jpeg

9B87D443-5AC2-410E-9A24-F1F559BCF6BF.jpeg

13820100-B46B-4D25-B3F0-2AAEFAB25586.jpeg

6E599919-5006-41F9-8CB7-E4642D4FAB62.jpeg

8E1C7EB9-033B-4A3C-8244-148EB342C656.jpeg

7CDD7787-8F88-438E-8F9E-38F1F91750F1.jpeg

28 minutes ago, SiC said:

What lump is it? 2.0TDI CR or did they put smaller? As I didn't think they did a 2.0tdi at that level tax. 

Yeah it’s a 2.0 CR 140, the specific model is a GT Bluemotion Tech TDI 140

Not sure exactly what’s different from a normal CR 140 to be honest 

I drove my mates scirroco over the weekend, I found the visibility out of it horrendous, the A pillars were that thick wagons were hidden at times, it was a lot worse than my wife's 308cc and that has chunky pillars as its a cabrio, no thanks, downright dangerous and a liability in town when you throw pedestrians into the mix. 

That was similarly economical mind. 

Oh dear! Must admit bar it’ having a small rear window which is restricted bar the rear headrests (I’m used to driving a van with no rear window so you get used to relying on mirrors) I’ve never thought anything about the front visibility. From the inside, it’s basically a Golf.

Perhaps you needed your seat adjusting to a better position!

14 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

Got stuck behind a lorry doing 56mph for about 9 miles tonight, this was the average MPG when I stopped 😂 

Brilliant car 

15A44AC6-4C8F-40F9-A128-70F1C4CFB7BF.jpeg

I find our A3 does better mpg at higher speeds as last time came up the m6 at 80 ish mph it indicated 82 mpg.  Normal round the doors stuff and it's sitting at mid 50s  our Passat was similar too.

31 minutes ago, garbaldy said:

I find our A3 does better mpg at higher speeds as last time came up the m6 at 80 ish mph it indicated 82 mpg.  Normal round the doors stuff and it's sitting at mid 50s  our Passat was similar too.

My C4 is the opposite - sitting at 60-62 sees 70mpg, 70mph+ and it drops to around the 55 mpg mark. 

My boss has an new A5 and that  a regular 70MPG. His road tax is near £500 though.. 

2 hours ago, garbaldy said:

I wonder if it's to do with where peak torque is. My Civic gets better economy in 5th gear sitting at 60 that it would if I knocked it into 6th. I'm assuming because 60 in 5th it's right at 2k rpm which is peak torque so need less throttle to keep the momentum compared to 1.5k in 6th

• 1 month later...

Gutted

In true Autoshite fashion I have kerbed the wheel now I’m annoyed and looking at E60 535D tourings on eBay.

Scirocco has for some reason started being a bit shit starting from cold, cranks a lot longer than it used to and then when it fires it puffs a load of white/blue smoke for a second. 

1269B98C-3878-422F-81A1-BDA7E4E6D713.jpeg

On 7/29/2022 at 10:27 PM, JJ0063 said:

I do really want silver wheels

That scrape is a good enough reason to get the wheels properly done in silver.

On 7/29/2022 at 10:27 PM, JJ0063 said:

T4 saga has completely put me off changing cars so often, so I have no intention of changing this any time soon!

Wise words spoken only 6 weeks ago! 60+ mpgees is not to be sniffed at with the cost of everything at the moment.