JJ0063’s current steed - Life of an impulsive car owner [N47 CHAIN GANG] T5 OFF THE FLEET

JJ0063

2 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

It's amazing how much more valuable these are than the "cooking" E9Xs.  You could buy four 320Ds for the price of one of these.  Same seems to go for the 5 series too, although to a slightly lesser extent.

Wait till you look at the current market for 335is....

6 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

It's amazing how much more valuable these are than the "cooking" E9Xs.  You could buy four 320Ds for the price of one of these.  Same seems to go for the 5 series too, although to a slightly lesser extent.

Totally agree, these have always been a lot dearer but having owned 320D’s, a 325D and a 330D in the past.. there’s a good reason for it too. These are on another level in terms of performance, I have a screenshot somewhere of a 3.9 second 0-60, and that was my first ever attempt.  They call these the diesel M3.. I’ve never known anything with as much torque and power that still retains such good MPG.

I absolutely love the thing and I’m still in two minds but if I can find a hassle free sale then it’s time to itch the T5 Transporter itch.

6 minutes ago, J-T said:

Good colour that as well, I’ve never seen another the same.

It’s Le Mans blue, to be honest it’s relatively uncommon on e92’s but in general it’s fairly common on e9x models 

I can’t remember if those pics have a slight filter or not, this shows it in less light:

Bottom pic with the kayaks is straight no filter in bright sun

F035BAB2-2CD0-4ACA-9204-E8882883D80A.jpeg

37195D06-F952-45A5-A797-D94C578FAB3A.jpeg

35E91BD1-B58F-4B89-A073-4F6AB3D88DE1.jpeg

3 hours ago, Sunny Jim said:

Van's are great when you want to do van things but can be a PITA the rest of the time so here's a bit of man maths for you. If the BMW is increasing in value and you enjoy it why not keep it and use the profit* it's accumulating to hire a T5 when you want to do "van things"?

To be honest it was us hiring one that got me thinking about buying one. £490 for 4 nights  was the bit that actually made me think I could just buy one, run it for a year or two then sell it for the same price or more! 

I don’t use the car much at all now I work from home and we’ve got the Mini too so it seems like a logical plan to let this go and try a T5…

2009 when buying a car  I got picked up from a train station somewhere by a trader in his de badged 330D , he said it'd been chipped , I do remember it being very very fast and was really surprised to hear a diesel engine when I got out of it . 

I had no idea , it sounded like a petrol inside the car so I assumed it was 

42 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

To be honest it was us hiring one that got me thinking about buying one. £490 for 4 nights  was the bit that actually made me think I could just buy one, run it for a year or two then sell it for the same price or more! 

I don’t use the car much at all now I work from home and we’ve got the Mini too so it seems like a logical plan to let this go and try a T5…

I'd keep the bmw and get a trailer tent tbh... 

26 minutes ago, bigstraight6 said:

That’s a lovely looking machine, BMW really seem to have lost the plot with car design now. My last was a Boston green metallic E36 325TD that I bitterly regret selling even after 10 years.

In all honesty anything post this era does nothing for me, I’ve always felt the e92 was relatively uncommon compared to the saloon and touring version. I don’t particularly like the newer F shape 3 series, 4 series has no character either.

I would love a Boston green e36, it’s top colour choice for me!

16 minutes ago, Wack said:

2009 when buying a car  I got picked up from a train station somewhere by a trader in his de badged 330D , he said it'd been chipped , I do remember it being very very fast and was really surprised to hear a diesel engine when I got out of it . 

I had no idea , it sounded like a petrol inside the car so I assumed it was 

The 6 cylinder does have quite a petrol sound when sat inside, think it’s potentially because the 6 pot feels like it’s got a much longer rev range coupled with the noise. This having no DPF has a bit more whoosh/whistle to it as well.

1 minute ago, yes oui si said:

I'd keep the bmw and get a trailer tent tbh... 

I actually would consider a touring caravan, this would certainly have the torque to pull one. Would be a decent little rig!

1 hour ago, JJ0063 said:

In all honesty anything post this era does nothing for me, I’ve always felt the e92 was relatively uncommon compared to the saloon and touring version. I don’t particularly like the newer F shape 3 series, 4 series has no character either.

I would love a Boston green e36, it’s top colour choice for me!

The 6 cylinder does have quite a petrol sound when sat inside, think it’s potentially because the 6 pot feels like it’s got a much longer rev range coupled with the noise. This having no DPF has a bit more whoosh/whistle to it as well.

I actually would consider a touring caravan, this would certainly have the torque to pull one. Would be a decent little rig!

Keep it , now Corona restrictions are winding down there'll be a lot of caravans for sale soon 

2 minutes ago, Wack said:

Keep it , now Corona restrictions are winding down there'll be a lot of caravans for sale soon 

I don’t think a caravan would be right for our lifestyle having thought about it. Our reasoning behind a T5 was we like to go out on the kayaks and then having somewhere to get changed/have lunch or go out for walks and have somewhere to chill out etc. Go to places like Wales and Scotland, drive somewhere and explore then park up for the night - more camper orientated rather than driving to a holiday park if that makes sense. 

This is also way too low to tow with!

5 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

I don’t think a caravan would be right for our lifestyle having thought about it. Our reasoning behind a T5 was we like to go out on the kayaks and then having somewhere to get changed/have lunch or go out for walks and have somewhere to chill out etc. Go to places like Wales and Scotland, drive somewhere and explore then park up for the night - more camper orientated rather than driving to a holiday park if that makes sense. 

This is also way too low to tow with!

Screenshot_20220123-224321_WhatsApp.thumb.jpg.069d163a320e0003442c77af193cd18a.jpg

Leaning towards keeping this as I genuinely don’t dare list it on eBay or Gumtree for the sheer fact of being arsed to deal with people.

I did wonder about doing a different kind of Roffle, maybe sell more than 59 tickets and do it via video using a number generator but I’d realistically be looking at what £35 a ticket max to generate interest so I’d need 200 people to buy a ticket.. I don’t think there are 200 active rofflers on here. 

Just now, J-T said:

Because there’s already a 330 and it’s one up from that. 330d is single turbo and 335 is twin turbo 
They went astray from their numbering/displacement system years ago. Wasn’t the E36 323i a 2.5 and the E46 318i a 2.0?

Yep. Same with Mercedes a45 which is 2.0l.

Best one is the micra sr 160 because it's a 1.6