JJ0063’s current steed - Life of an impulsive car owner [N47 CHAIN GANG] T5 OFF THE FLEET

JJ0063

It’s funny how we all feel with certain cars isn’t it, I’ve never found any enjoyment with petrols

I’m almost set on an estate or 4x4 and always end up in a BM. The XF is very high on the list but I just need a dog friendly boot and I’m not sure it’d cut it.

It is very funny indeed. I think it's how you get used to driving them. I had a friend who was used to driving agricultural shit who then got a mk3 NA supra. He went for an enthusiastic drive with me and he said "I was expecting it to be a bit faster" and he was changing by 5k rpm so wasn't going in to where it wanted to be at like 7k. I told him and he said it felt so wrong at first but the car then all of a sudden woke up. I enjoy that high rpm stuff more than the low end shove.

I get the need for a big car then either a dog. Shame because I imagine the xfr with a supercharger might mimic a diesel low end grunt too. Diesels are dying though! Faster than petrols anyway.

17 hours ago, DirtyDaily said:

It is very funny indeed. I think it's how you get used to driving them. I had a friend who was used to driving agricultural shit who then got a mk3 NA supra. He went for an enthusiastic drive with me and he said "I was expecting it to be a bit faster" and he was changing by 5k rpm so wasn't going in to where it wanted to be at like 7k. I told him and he said it felt so wrong at first but the car then all of a sudden woke up. I enjoy that high rpm stuff more than the low end shove.

I get the need for a big car then either a dog. Shame because I imagine the xfr with a supercharger might mimic a diesel low end grunt too. Diesels are dying though! Faster than petrols anyway.

I’ve never driven a 2 litre turbo diesel that’s faster than my WRX. Torque is similar though at higher revs but power is typically double.

I know I’m selling this as I want something bigger but I’ve been driving Ambers Mk7 Fiesta a fair bit lately and I really like it. I keep saying maybe a Mk7 Fiesta ST would be worth a try as it’ll be nippy and I’ve not had a pez for years. 

I just don’t know whether I’m too old. Would I look like a paedophile or someone having a midlife crisis? 😂

22 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

I know I’m selling this as I want something bigger but I’ve been driving Ambers Mk7 Fiesta a fair bit lately and I really like it. I keep saying maybe a Mk7 Fiesta ST would be worth a try as it’ll be nippy and I’ve not had a pez for years. 

I just don’t know whether I’m too old. Would I look like a paedophile or someone having a midlife crisis? 😂

I fucking hope not. I've a white mk6 st with the blue sill stripes. Christ knows what that makes me 😆

• JJ0063 changed the title to JJ0063’s current steed - back to BMW

Ok so after flogging the Transit I decided to just go and scratch an itch..

2010 X5 3.0 D XDrive M Sport

Lowest mileage car I’ve ever had with 96k on the clock!

Loads of history including the expensive jobs done by BMW themselves (rear airbags, handbrake module etc)

It’s a nice spec, 20” wheels, heated front and rear seats etc. It’s the 7 seat model and is in the lower £360 tax band rather than the £600 odd one. 

Lucky as well being a 2010 as it’s the last of the Pre-LCI so has the better M57 engine but still newer. 

Bought it by streetlight ant my phone torch at 7:30PM so even now due to work I’ve not seen it in daylight but the previous owner had it 4 years and is a proper enthusiast, Porsche Cayman on the drive as well as a brand new 330E. Had it MOT’d, serviced and even new mats to sell it. One of the cleanest interiors I’ve seen on a used car.  He’s even given me his hardwired Nextbase front and rear dashcams.

Averaged 23mpg on the back roads home so hopefully that will improve.. max I imagine of 26-27MPG but thankfully I work from home now! 

The scirocco is currently in for its MOT along with cambelt/pump then I can take my plate off and advertise it.

Pics from the advert:

788133CD-853D-4AC2-AD89-D806E629439D.jpeg

FDF2D987-5C01-47E1-9870-A0A9720094F7.jpeg

3299F42F-583E-4E6C-B5D3-D636E4D894B2.jpeg

7B64F268-CEB8-4B8F-89C5-223DB02857C3.jpeg

E856C977-5602-4E32-A1F0-E38A6D667711.jpeg

C6EA50AA-BB7A-4A21-88A8-96DDB0E28895.jpeg

9DB94DCF-41D4-47B4-88F3-A72D40429690.jpeg

A4A36766-7F63-453E-B74D-8B548275CA55.jpeg

BFE32DC1-DCB3-4640-AA88-DC57723C00ED.jpeg

7CEB2E4C-9FE6-41A7-969D-51ABB6B84AAB.jpeg

12 minutes ago, horriblemercedes said:

I can't imagine one of these being an itch to scratch! They always looked so wrong to me

Fair enough, they're good cars and that's a good engine too. Sounds like you've bought well. I hope you enjoy it 🙂 

Oh I completely get it’s far from everyone’s cup of tea

for me it’s just I’m a proper M57 fanboy and just always end up back in a BMW eventually. This just feels like a good idea as Mrs JJ says im too old in my thirties to drive ‘sporty’ BMWs 😂 so it was this or a 3/5 series touring, just fancied something a bit different, only 4x4 I’ve ever had has been a Discovery 2 so this is a novelty too…

Done over 100 miles today and this thing is just beautiful to drive. Absolute luxo barge. 

The MPG however is just fucking horrific. I haven’t quite got my head round £60 getting me 200 miles max yet. The Scirocco would do 600 for the same amount 😂

Thank god we have the Mk7 diesel fiesta as well.

Still doesn’t put me off though. I knew this would be awful, just still takes some getting used to.

25 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

Done over 100 miles today and this thing is just beautiful to drive. Absolute luxo barge. 

The MPG however is just fucking horrific. I haven’t quite got my head round £60 getting me 200 miles max yet. The Scirocco would do 600 for the same amount 😂

Thank god we have the Mk7 diesel fiesta as well.

Still doesn’t put me off though. I knew this would be awful, just still takes some getting used to.

With that sort of mpg, you may as well have bought an old derv Transit and spent the difference on kitting out the back as a camper.

Oh, wait...

1 minute ago, Dick Longbridge said:

With that sort of mpg, you may as well have bought an old derv Transit and spent the difference on kitting out the back as a camper.

Oh, wait...

The Transit was much better on fuel tbh 

id still sooner drive the X5 mind…

9 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

We are absolutely never having kids. I’m way too selfish. Caravan I don’t think so as we’ll end up with the same storage issue as when we had the camper!

That was my philosophy back in the day - then t'missus rocked up to our wedding with an 8 and a 10 year old in tow. At least I ducked the nappy changing era.....

Storage? Just move house (again) you know you secretly enjoy the fun* of moving

2 minutes ago, Dobloseven said:

Sounds about right. Hmmm.... Now if our Korando was to suddenly need replacing........! Stop it, you're giving me ideas. 

Comfiest car I’ve ever driven, seats like armchairs… but only do it if you can cope with the MPG.. averaging 25.4 without anything on the tow bar!

Im going to investigate economy remaps..