JJ0063’s current steed - Life of an impulsive car owner [N47 CHAIN GANG] - First Spanish car acquired

JJ0063

2 minutes ago, Dave_Q said:

Another vote for just buy a battery, the 14.6v tested is the alternator not the battery.

That cranking voltage in your video is too low, the assorted computers that fire the injectors and whatnot are at risk of not doing at that voltage.

This. I suspect the first cold morning this autumn/winter will make it very obvious that the battery is buggered

On 10/19/2022 at 9:24 AM, Dave_Q said:

Another vote for just buy a battery, the 14.6v tested is the alternator not the battery.

That cranking voltage in your video is too low, the assorted computers that fire the injectors and whatnot are at risk of not doing at that voltage.

On 10/19/2022 at 9:27 AM, horriblemercedes said:

This. I suspect the first cold morning this autumn/winter will make it very obvious that the battery is buggered

Thanks guys

Im 100% sure it’s either battery or the plugs have cured it. I’ve used it a lot more lately and it’s not played up once. I’m sure if I left it or as you say get a cold snap, the battery will probably be the first thing to rear its head.

I will replace it when I have a spare £100.

I’m also set on selling it now. I want to get back in a BMW, contrasting options of either an E36 or an E60/61 535D are top of the list.

• JJ0063 changed the title to JJ0063’s current steed - swap me a BMW
  • 3 weeks later...

Have had a couple of enquiries about the Scirocco online but nowhere near the level I’ve usually had when selling cars so it may well have to stay on the fleet for a while to get my monies worth. 

The people that have enquired so far have all asked about proof of timing belt which I don’t have, and although I was told it had been done, I don’t honestly know whether I believe the lad. So for both my peace of mind and also future saleability I’ve just ordered a Gates belt and water pump kit which I’ll get our local village mechanic to fit for me. At 134k it should have had one (think it’s 120k on these) but something tells me not to believe it’s been done and also the lack of any proof isn’t ideal.

12 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

Have had a couple of enquiries about the Scirocco online but nowhere near the level I’ve usually had when selling cars so it may well have to stay on the fleet for a while to get my monies worth. 

The people that have enquired so far have all asked about proof of timing belt which I don’t have, and although I was told it had been done, I don’t honestly know whether I believe the lad. So for both my peace of mind and also future saleability I’ve just ordered a Gates belt and water pump kit which I’ll get our local village mechanic to fit for me. At 134k it should have had one (think it’s 120k on these) but something tells me not to believe it’s been done and also the lack of any proof isn’t ideal.

I don't want to be "that guy" but send the Gates kit back and get an INA one, especially for VAG. Water pumps are prone to leak out of the box. I refuse to fit them now, their quality has gone massively downhill

20 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

I don't want to be "that guy" but send the Gates kit back and get an INA one, especially for VAG. Water pumps are prone to leak out of the box. I refuse to fit them now, their quality has gone massively downhill

Bloody hell 😂 I stuck with Gates as I always knew them as being the go to. Will see if I can cancel the order 

25 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

Bloody hell 😂 I stuck with Gates as I always knew them as being the go to. Will see if I can cancel the order 

Sorry I know it's a dickhead thing but didn't want to wait to offer my opinion if you got it fitted and then there was a problem 🤣 thought I'd shout while there's still time

Yeah I think at least for now it will stay, I can’t afford to take a loss on it and there’s nothing wrong with it.. it’s just a bit mundane

Cant find an INA kit unless I spend another £50-£60 so I’ll give the Gates one a try I think. I’ve used them before and touch wood been OK! 

35 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

Yeah I think at least for now it will stay, I can’t afford to take a loss on it and there’s nothing wrong with it.. it’s just a bit mundane

Cant find an INA kit unless I spend another £50-£60 so I’ll give the Gates one a try I think. I’ve used them before and touch wood been OK! 

Hopefully the Gates "fucked-out-of-the-box"© lottery treats you well 🙂

I bought INA auxiliary drive belt idler wheels for the vec. The bolt on one of them was a different thread - I only realised after winding it in so far.

Unwound it and swapped  it for the original bolt.

Unfortunately it didn't screw all the way home - the result was the belt wasn't 100% on the wheel. Result? Belt killed itself. And killed timing belt. And 8 rockers.

Sorry but no brand can be 100% trusted these days.

I'm nowhere near as experienced as @RoverFolkUs in the cambelt/aux belt changing game, but I've had a few problems with INA stuff over the years, waterpump from a cambelt kit failing after 20k miles, 2 aux belt tensioners failing in quick succession, but I've never had a problem with Gates kits. I was always lead to believe that the Gates stuff was the best, is this not the case anymore?

8 minutes ago, Popsicle said:

I'm nowhere near as experienced as @RoverFolkUs in the cambelt/aux belt changing game, but I've had a few problems with INA stuff over the years, waterpump from a cambelt kit failing after 20k miles, 2 aux belt tensioners failing in quick succession, but I've never had a problem with Gates kits. I was always lead to believe that the Gates stuff was the best, is this not the case anymore?

5 hours ago, Bren said:

I bought INA auxiliary drive belt idler wheels for the vec. The bolt on one of them was a different thread - I only realised after winding it in so far.

Unwound it and swapped  it for the original bolt.

Unfortunately it didn't screw all the way home - the result was the belt wasn't 100% on the wheel. Result? Belt killed itself. And killed timing belt. And 8 rockers.

Sorry but no brand can be 100% trusted these days.

That's interesting to hear both of you having had trouble with INA. 

I consider INA to be pretty much OEM quality for VAG cars, you get all the bolts and everything you need to do it right. 

Gates definitely used to be good, but it's more recently I thought they've gone downhill and I've heard the same from others too. I've fitted a couple of gates kits recently and the water pumps have leaked immediately. This has happened to many other people I know as well. 

I've even heard of cambelt and tensioner failure but luckily that didn't happened to me. 

Never had an issue with Gates aux belts or aux tensioners, only water pumps. 

Never had an issue with any INA kit. 

Dayco are alright but not my first choice for a newer car. Perfectly fine for an older car as any new belt would be better than a potentially ancient unknown one!

In fairness it's probably more of a lottery, no matter the make there's always bound to be one faulty component every now and then, however it's only because it happened twice in quick succession and happened to others I know that it left a bad taste and put me off. 

6 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

That's interesting to hear both of you having had trouble with INA. 

I consider INA to be pretty much OEM quality for VAG cars, you get all the bolts and everything you need to do it right. 

Gates definitely used to be good, but it's more recently I thought they've gone downhill and I've heard the same from others too. I've fitted a couple of gates kits recently and the water pumps have leaked immediately. This has happened to many other people I know as well. 

I've even heard of cambelt and tensioner failure but luckily that didn't happened to me. 

Never had an issue with Gates aux belts or aux tensioners, only water pumps. 

Never had an issue with any INA kit. 

Dayco are alright but not my first choice for a newer car. Perfectly fine for an older car as any new belt would be better than a potentially ancient unknown one!

In fairness it's probably more of a lottery, no matter the make there's always bound to be one faulty component every now and then, however it's only because it happened twice in quick succession and happened to others I know that it left a bad taste and put me off. 

I think you're spot on with the lottery comment, they're probably all made in the same factories and swapped around/boxed up accordingly. If a waterpump gets dropped or bashed on its travels it could shorten its life expectancy, but you'd never be able to tell. If an aux belt is slightly to short its going to put pressure on the tensioner and shorten its lifespan.

I remember when I ran early OM611 Sprinters, every aftermarket aux belt would sit loose and slap around a bit at low revs, genuine Merc ones at 3 times the price were always fine though.

It was drummed into me by an older mechanic in the 90's, only fit genuine cambelts or Gates, everything else is crap and its kind of stuck with me ever since.

18 minutes ago, Popsicle said:

I think you're spot on with the lottery comment, they're probably all made in the same factories and swapped around/boxed up accordingly. If a waterpump gets dropped or bashed on its travels it could shorten its life expectancy, but you'd never be able to tell. If an aux belt is slightly to short its going to put pressure on the tensioner and shorten its lifespan.

I remember when I ran early OM611 Sprinters, every aftermarket aux belt would sit loose and slap around a bit at low revs, genuine Merc ones at 3 times the price were always fine though.

It was drummed into me by an older mechanic in the 90's, only fit genuine cambelts or Gates, everything else is crap and its kind of stuck with me ever since.

In fact INA dont make the belt itself, so it would be their pump and other pulleys in the kit but the belt might be another OE standard one, perhaps gates, dayco, contitech, etc 

Nothing wrong with a Gates kit when they're not faulty, but I've been stung by two too many faulty kits to have faith in them anymore that's all!

What you will find with all the decent kits there are two manufacturers of bearings and a couple of manufacturers of belts.

I recently bought an INA cambelt kit, as INA make the bearings and tensioners for most kits but don't make the belts, so even though it says INA on the belt it is probably made by Continental or Gates.

But if you buy a Continental kit, the belt is made by Continental but the bearings and tensioner will be made by INA, but will cost considerably more, even though they are essentially the same kit.

This is just an example as SKF also make bearings and tensioners too and are also a good brand.

It just sounds like Gates have penny pinched on the pumps, hope they don't use Circolli.

• 1 month later...

So my mechanic got kidney stones so had to postpone doing the timing belt so I’ve got it booked in 1st Feb to have that done and MOT at the same time

Plan is to get that done, do the oil and filter, stick an air filter in and then sell it with 12 months MOT, new belt and water pump along with a fresh service.

Top contenders so far are a 3.0D E70 X5 or a 3.0D XF (with proof of having its belt done..)

Something like this although I’d attempt to find a facelift Jag for the 8 speed box.

65B2F31F-ED0F-4106-9AFE-75E9C5E35B8D.jpeg

04070DAD-C5AA-4188-BD8B-E02C6B6973DF.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Cleaned this today to get some pics to advertise it once it’s had its MOT next month 

Thought I’d have a flick through the service history to remind myself what it’s got…

All of it was for a 57 plate Golf so someone’s clearly got the books switched at some point and I never noticed when I bought it FFS 😂

Emailed VW to see if they can provide anything if it’s ever had main dealer servicing.

2DD382BA-7D7C-4C4B-8CAA-899BC3DC4DB4.jpeg

0D9846DB-AA9A-4034-AD14-BEDC77EBB6CB.jpeg

DF71CD2B-802B-47F7-939F-B37A6AFCC8E5.jpeg

63F96BA2-83CD-413F-9008-E4F93BCE7019.jpeg

573907C3-E08F-4ACE-9FC0-A164354ACB49.jpeg

3CFF6884-8F2B-401A-998B-F572A0F67E83.jpeg

C6DD0104-C83D-4509-A9F8-C46D5DCF1149.jpeg

E6E2C480-D5DE-407B-940D-E5DA21FB6DF5.jpeg

3CFD0246-2885-407A-930C-DBDD8F9C3330.jpeg

3 minutes ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

I bloody love that generation of Scirocco and I'd have it in an instant if I had an understanding partner and more to my name.  GLWTS, looks like a corker.

It’s a curve ball for me as it’s really not what I’d usually go for at all. It’s £30 tax and does silly good MPG so I have no idea why I’m selling it, it’s just small and I prefer bigger cars. Who knows, maybe it won’t sell and I’ll end up keeping it!

Just now, JJ0063 said:

It’s a curve ball for me as it’s really not what I’d usually go for at all. It’s £30 tax and does silly good MPG so I have no idea why I’m selling it, it’s just small and I prefer bigger cars. Who knows, maybe it won’t sell and I’ll end up keeping it!

Give it fifteen years and they'll be an unusual sight.  I've always loved them since they were first on the market.  They're a Golf in a frock but what a frock.

47 minutes ago, tom13 said:

Cleaned up lovely. I wouldn't sell it but I can see the appeal of the Jag. Not the X5 though.

It’s just one of those cars I’ve never really gelled with. It’s completely served its purpose but I just don’t like small cars and this feels very mundane coming from the 335D but I understand most cars will after having almost 400bhp under my right foot. 

I love the idea of a Jag but I hate to say it but practicality wise I think either an X5 or a touring of some sort will win because I need to start putting the dogs in the boot again, having them in the passenger footwell is a pain and not nice for them either - a shooting break XF is out of budget!

14 minutes ago, Bren said:

Given the current price of diesel I doff my cap to you for considering another.

I’ve had over 60 cars and can easily count on one hand how many petrols I’ve owned, I’ve just always had diesels! Wouldn’t be against a Pez but the two cars I’m looking at would leave me in either a 5.0 supercharged V8 XF or a 4.something V8 pez x5 so it doesn’t really compute!

I’ve had over 60 cars and can easily count on one hand how many petrols I’ve owned, I’ve just always had diesels! Wouldn’t be against a Pez but the two cars I’m looking at would leave me in either a 5.0 supercharged V8 XF or a 4.something V8 pez x5 so it doesn’t really compute!
Interesting. Whenever I get in a diesel I HATE the way they run. Like it's being fuelled with gravel. Our S60 D5 runs like a tractor but I appreciate it returns v good mpg and when up to speed isn't too offensive.
The best diesel I had was the 3.0tdi A6 which was fairly passable but it just didn't come close to a petrol for me. Though I have found myself becoming a snob with cars recently and anything less than 6 cylinders feels inadequate and agricultural.

On the X5 front I thought those v8 engines were complete junk, as well as the rest of the car tbh. The 5.0XFR's on the other hand are supposed to be superb bits of kit. Between the two for me there's no competition.

1 hour ago, DirtyDaily said:

Interesting. Whenever I get in a diesel I HATE the way they run. Like it's being fuelled with gravel. Our S60 D5 runs like a tractor but I appreciate it returns v good mpg and when up to speed isn't too offensive.
The best diesel I had was the 3.0tdi A6 which was fairly passable but it just didn't come close to a petrol for me. Though I have found myself becoming a snob with cars recently and anything less than 6 cylinders feels inadequate and agricultural.

On the X5 front I thought those v8 engines were complete junk, as well as the rest of the car tbh. The 5.0XFR's on the other hand are supposed to be superb bits of kit. Between the two for me there's no competition.

It’s funny how we all feel with certain cars isn’t it, I’ve never found any enjoyment with petrols - I don’t know if I’m just used to the torque/power delivery of diesels or what. 

Friend of mine owned both a 335i and a Mk2 Focus RS, I drove both and neither did anything for me and just felt slow… jumped in the 335D I owned last year and it felt night & day in terms of power. 

I’d certainly consider a petrol nowadays if the right one came up. I’ve gone from doing 20k+ a year to 7-8k now with no commute. We also have Mrs JJ’s diesel mk7 Fiesta too should we need an eco car for a trip!

I can see myself ending up in either a 3.0 D X5, 330i / 330D / 335D / 335i / 530D / 535D  touring to be honest - I’m almost set on an estate or 4x4 and always end up in a BM. The XF is very high on the list but I just need a dog friendly boot and I’m not sure it’d cut it.

I appreciate both petrol and diesel, but in different ways. They're both great to me, just different. 

Also, I'm confident (having done the maths) that I'm still saving money by using a diesel car vs the equivalent petrol, even if there is 18p per litre difference where I buy fuel. Then, there's the range difference. Having got used to an economical diesel with a fairly big tank, petrol range always seems so short