Getting a misfire on my £250 Golf cabriolet distributor cap next.

Vince70

About a couple of months ago I saw a lovely looking Golf Cabriolet avantgarde  for sale on Marketplace with lowish miles and in rust free condition for £250 and although I most definitely don’t need it I did what every autoshiter should do and bought it anyway.

Well today I had a spare hour and noticed it had started to get a misfire and backfires and realised it needed leads as I got a nasty jolt off one and while at it I thought I better put a set of plugs in it.

The previous seller had an a intermittent fault of it cutting out but I can’t replicate the problem but he had thrown some serious wedge at it to find the problem.

Well I changed the leads as I went as they’re the originals and in poor shape and the plugs I would say needed changing and it still had a misfire afterwards so it was off with the dizzy cap and doubt that had ever been off as the clips were stuck solid.

When I got it off I noticed the spring inside was falling out and quite worn but cleaned it up anyway as I didn’t have an alternative.

Also the next jobs are an air and oil filter and oil change as it looks like that hasn’t been done in years either.

Its now running beautiful again but need a dizzy cap and the problem I’ve got is mine is an orange cap and the cheap ones I’m finding are black.

Its years since I dealt with dizzy caps but what I remember was orange was basically Bosch and Black was Lucas but the black caps are saying it’s the correct part for my motor so just wondered if aftermarket caps just come in any colour.

5A10FFC5-1659-4ED3-BA15-CB572C986AAD.jpeg

B7A38700-481C-4FB5-AC9D-93FB45B5BA6B.jpeg

7F9520B5-E040-4403-A374-00A76FEC8649.jpeg

6CDFFC3A-86FD-4AB3-8588-A8B33F5E6A8B.jpeg

I did wonder the same myself 

6 hours ago, Rod/b said:

Where had the previous owner spent all the money if service items like plugs, leads and dizzy cap had been ignored? 

I did wonder the same myself it’s most definitely neglected and the bills were for a MAF and coil and for an auto electrician to sort out the cutting out issue.

Someone has also had the lower steering column cover off as well to look for the problem as that is also missing.

I can’t work out for the life of me why no one thought to go for the basics first.

I’ve been and splashed out this morning a whole fiver on a dizzy cap so the car is now coming together and will say service parts for this old thing are dirt cheap.