What car turns you into a raging twat?

loserone

4 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

What engine do you have in yours? Having foglights suggests an Ambiente or better and slowness suggests 1.2 12v, like mine. And my god it's slow haha.

1.4 16v with a mighty* 75bhp. My first car, a Clio II 1.2 16v had the same power from a smaller engine but being a lighter car wasn't quite so cronic.

I dread to think what a lower powered engine is like in these.

Mine is a "Sport" which is a complete oxymoron. Came complete with fake clamped on chrome exhaust tip 🤣

2 minutes ago, SiC said:

Mine is a "Sport" which is a complete oxymoron. Came complete with fake clamped on chrome exhaust tip 🤣

Comes with a small spoiler, the same gearknob as mine (was an option on Ambiente) and the same 15" alloys. They dropped the 1400 for the 1200 at one point too. The difference between your four pot and my three pot 1.2 is that there's more to give on mine at lower revs, but lower overall power. I'm less on road tax too, being £170 over the 1.4's £210 IIRC.

2 minutes ago, SiC said:

I dread to think what a lower powered engine is like in these.

The 1.4 16v 75 was always a particularly limp engine compared to the AUB 100hp version which is more common elsewhere in the range. The best choices are the diesels I reckon though, my neighbour has an 80HP 1.4 TDI that he seems very happy with.

13 minutes ago, rickvw72 said:

I find the VW T2 hate amusing. I think it’s like hating Man Utd or something. Like an anti popular opinion thing.

Here’s a pic of mine

F18002AB-45BE-4DF8-B288-029AD09C86DC.thumb.jpeg.f7d8c348fe5bd97df99886e70c0f86ed.jpegI’ve had the hopeless old overrated piece of shit for 13 years. I kept it that long because it’s so shit I don’t wanna inflict it on anywhere else. I frequently wish I bought an old Bedford CF or Talbot Express, so I could be individual and far cooler.

You see, driving around in silence at 70mph gets old, whilst returning 30mpg, in a vehicle with independent all round suspension.

Id rather have had a cart springed shitbox, with all the dynamics of a pissed hippo. Unfortunately they were all dead by their eighth birthday, so I had to settle for this overrated crap pile. 
What an overrated piece of crap, 13 years, 60 odd thousand miles. Everyone covered with tears in my eyes. Why didn’t I buy a transit, with a shit old pinto boat anchor or a fabulously engineered Talbot. 

I like a t2. I would like to have one. 

BUT. Having worked on campsites, the sound of a VW sliding door instantly boils my piss.. 

@rickvw72

Touched a nerve there chief? Think you've kinda missed the point ...

Stupid modern rear lamps that have LEDs that glare so much you can't see the indicator clearly-because some focus group monkey decided to stick it in-between the sidelamps. Usually VAG shite I'm afraid, but certainly not limited to them. 

1 minute ago, red5 said:

you can't see the indicator clearly

Toyota C-HR before the facelift was a bad one for being unable to see the indicator of. Also it's got a design comparable to what my spaniel has left in the back garden for me to deal with tomorrow.

10 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

The difference between your four pot and my three pot 1.2 is that there's more to give on mine at lower revs, but lower overall power. I'm less on road tax too, being £170 over the 1.4's £210 IIRC.

The tax is quite ridiculous really. Especially given its quite economical and thus not that much CO2 really. I just rag the fuck out of it when I need it to move along slightly more than a snails pace. I'm regularly getting 40+ mpg out of it though and on a slightly longer run I can get high 40s. The 4pots have less issues than the 3 pots iirc.

The 1.4 16v 75 was always a particularly limp engine compared to the AUB 100hp version which is more common elsewhere in the range.

You only get 100bhp out of that engine with super unleaded. Sod that! Ridiculous considering a similar aged Renault 1.4 16v will give the same power on 95 octane.

I believe its essentially the same engine as the 75bhp but with a more aggressive cam. 95 octane will drop the power, but are rougher as it needs to dial back the ignition timing to prevent knock. So worse off than having a 75bhp.

Plus the extra 25bhp doesn't really make that much difference to performance either. The acceleration goes from snail on a level to a snail sliding down a slight decline.

The best choices are the diesels I reckon though, my neighbour has an 80HP 1.4 TDI that he seems very happy with.

They may be more economical and lower tax but then you have to put up with the clatter and vibrations of a PD. Also more expensive to buy as everyone wants one for the cheap running. However the petrols (once warm at least when you don't get the piston slap which is so common on them 😂) are muffled adequately that they are pretty quite and smooth, especially at idle. We're getting a Clean Air Zone soon in Bristol and none of the diesels will be any good then either. I'm doing less than ~3k p/a in it anyway, so there isn't much to be gained fuel economy wise from a diesel too.

7 hours ago, loserone said:

What cars seem to make people come out in a rage, and why?

I can thing of a few examples:

Invacars.  Obviously.

Cityrovers.  Not a real Rover, they were shit when imported and never had a chance, but people seem to hate what they represent to the demise of Rover.

Nissan LEAF.  ALL ELECTRIC CARS ARE SHIT.  Just look at the first three pages of my thread to see what people's reactions were (and often still are) to a thoroughly competent car with a small range. 

What else?

The LEAF makes its drivers angry too though. No other EV drivers are as angry at life. 

7 minutes ago, SiC said:

The tax is quite ridiculous really. Especially given its quite economical and thus not that much CO2 really. I just rag the fuck out of it when I need it to move along slightly more than a snails pace. I'm regularly getting 40+ mpg out of it though and on a slightly longer run I can get high 40s.

I'm getting similar MPGs, I've seen 50mpg in it once, but I tend to do much like you and rag the fuck out of it. Tax is a joke for them all though.

7 minutes ago, SiC said:

You only get 100bhp out of that engine with super unleaded. Sod that! Ridiculous considering a similar aged Renault 1.4 16v will give the same power on 95 octane.

I believe its essentially the same engine as the 75bhp but with a more aggressive cam. 95 octane will drop the power, but are rougher as it needs to dial back the ignition timing to prevent knock. So worse off than having a 75bhp.

Plus the extra 25bhp doesn't really make that much difference to performance either.

Same level of torque so the difference is a bit wimpy in my opinion for the 100 and 75 models, there was also an 80 IIRC. I've been a Briskoda member for a wee while and as such have chatted with 1.4 16v owners about the benefits of theirs.

7 minutes ago, SiC said:

They may be more economical and lower tax but then you have to put up with the clatter and vibrations of a PD. Also more expensive to buy as everyone wants one for the cheap running. However the petrols (once warm at least when you don't get the piston slap which is so common on them 😂) are muffled adequately that they are pretty quite and smooth, especially at idle. We're getting a Clean Air Zone soon in Bristol and none of the diesels will be any good then either. I'm doing less than ~3k p/a in it anyway, so there isn't much to be gained fuel economy wise from a diesel too.

I'm in the middle of nowhere so I could practically get away with running a soviet-era tank and no-one would bat an eyelid at emissions. Haha. Different priorities.

7 minutes ago, SiC said:

The acceleration goes from snail on a level to a snail sliding down a slight decline.

A snail on a skateboard perhaps?

snail-skating-motion-blur-background-63833249.jpg

7 minutes ago, SiC said:

The 4pots have less issues than the 3 pots iirc.

Probably. You guys have piston rings (AUB/?BBX?) and EGRs. We have coils and on my 12v BME, no EGR, but timing leading to bent valves is a pain on the 6v along with burnt valves on that same engine. The 12v is known less for burnt valves and the timing seems not as problematic, in my experience.

I'd still take the PD though, since I'm a tightarse and I fair fancy the 1.9 100 model. :)

My van, because every time I top up the screen wash (constantly because it uses a pre-set amount per wash and that amount is "too fucking much") I have to spend 20 mins trying to get the bonnet to close properly due to the shit latch design. Then it'll pop up onto the safety a few miles down the road and I have to repeat the process on the hard shoulder.

Prior to being in my custody it'd already flung it's bonnet open at speed and smashed the windscreen. It's only a matter of time...

33 minutes ago, rickvw72 said:

I find the VW T2 hate amusing. I think it’s like hating Man Utd or something. Like an anti popular opinion thing.

Here’s a pic of mine

F18002AB-45BE-4DF8-B288-029AD09C86DC.thumb.jpeg.f7d8c348fe5bd97df99886e70c0f86ed.jpegI’ve had the hopeless old overrated piece of shit for 13 years. I kept it that long because it’s so shit I don’t wanna inflict it on anywhere else. I frequently wish I bought an old Bedford CF or Talbot Express, so I could be individual and far cooler.

You see, driving around in silence at 70mph gets old, whilst returning 30mpg, in a vehicle with independent all round suspension.

Id rather have had a cart springed shitbox, with all the dynamics of a pissed hippo. Unfortunately they were all dead by their eighth birthday, so I had to settle for this overrated crap pile. 
What an overrated piece of crap, 13 years, 60 odd thousand miles. Everyone covered with tears in my eyes. Why didn’t I buy a transit, with a shit old pinto boat anchor or a fabulously engineered Talbot. 

47 minutes ago, red5 said:

@rickvw72

Touched a nerve there chief? Think you've kinda missed the point ...

Stupid modern rear lamps that have LEDs that glare so much you can't see the indicator clearly-because some focus group monkey decided to stick it in-between the sidelamps. Usually VAG shite I'm afraid, but certainly not limited to them. 

No nerve touched I assure you. I buy cars that I like and want so encourage everyone  to do the same.

Genuinely can’t understand why folk get so stressed out about the VW Camper / German car in general thing, sort of some belief we all bought them to get a bigger penis / more friends etc. It’s weird really.

In 2008, my brother bought a new transit over an 18 month old transporter. After 7 years / 200k miles of hard use, the transit sold on at 1800 quid. It was rough.

You’d have had to set the transporter on fire to make it worth that little, even 18months older with 25k miles more. 

One mans rip off is another’s wise investment.

What car(s) make me actually angry, as opposed to WTF were they thinking/you're a twat for buying one of them?

Diesels.

If you live in a city you can taste the effect their filthy effluvia has on the local environment and as far as private cars are concerned there's no need for them. You want power and torque? Buy a bigger petrol engine and suck up the mpg like a man you tightwad, don't pollute the air I breathe with your carcinogenic filth.
I've been saying for 10 years or more  on this very forum, that if they were banned tomorrow we'd notice the improvement in air quality by the weekend. Remember the first Kung Flu lockdown? Remember how clean and clear the air was? That wasn't petrol power we were missing.
People are now starting to catch on and creating ULEZ zones in cities and if that bothers you with your manky planet killing tractor engine then bear in mind it's your own fault. If we'd gone for smaller, lighter cars with ever more efficient petrol engines we wouldn't be staring down the barrel of the imminent death of the ICE in 10 years time in favour of  the joy* of EVs and their questionable environmental benefits.

Angry enough?

teslas- hateful things built by company owned by a man i despise and driven by plonkers and no you aint saving fuck all with all the resources used to build that horrible heap of crap

mx5s- hairdressers cars that are overhyped and just wind me up, esp. with the american fixation on calling them a fucking miata

range rovers- driven by stupid parents taking little timmy to school because oh no he cannot get any rain and then parked like a wanker on the high street (and the fact that new ones are probably cheaper to tax than my renault)

bmw minis- an affront to a great british institution and horribly uncomfortable

fiat 500s (new one)- driven by college students who have no imagination and a car paid by mum and dad

and.. breathe

admiteddly i have only driven the mini here so perhaps the others might be good cars, and to those who enjoy em fair play- they just boil my piss for no reason. 

1 hour ago, rickvw72 said:

No nerve touched I assure you. I buy cars that I like and want so encourage everyone  to do the same.

Genuinely can’t understand why folk get so stressed out about the VW Camper / German car in general thing, sort of some belief we all bought them to get a bigger penis / more friends etc. It’s weird really.

In 2008, my brother bought a new transit over an 18 month old transporter. After 7 years / 200k miles of hard use, the transit sold on at 1800 quid. It was rough.

You’d have had to set the transporter on fire to make it worth that little, even 18months older with 25k miles more. 

One mans rip off is another’s wise investment.

Still missed it......it's not based on any reason or investment return. The title is clear as surely.?

Audi A1.

1st Gen Leaf. 

Ugly, pointless, rage inducing (in me). 

See, it's easy. 

Please don't restate the investment/future value blah blah blah....it just serves to remind me about the missed point...

And whilst we're at it anything  'GT' BMW. It's a fuckng hatch. 

3 hours ago, Gerrymcd said:

Mine.

The Suzuki Celerio. Anytime (admittedly rare) I've see one I just think why?

What on earth possessed you to overlook everything else to buy that?

Prime AS fodder in the future but as a newish car I just don't get it.

Had one In the workshop yesterday and thought the same . Even the customer preferred my Seicento to drive 😂

4 hours ago, Out Run said:

I'd like to own one, also. 23 Window, natch.

A restored T2 is a world away from the usual worn out ones to drive to drive, it's quite enjoyable in an old fashioned way, especially with a decent gearlever so that gear selection isn't a matter of pot luck.

7 hours ago, crad said:

I can feel my face melt whenever one of the newer even more bloated lumps of tin comes towards me with any form of headlights on. Far too bright, unlike the owner. :D

8 hours ago, crad said:

teslas- hateful things built by company owned by a man i despise and driven by plonkers and no you aint saving fuck all with all the resources used to build that horrible heap of crap

mx5s- hairdressers cars that are overhyped and just wind me up, esp. with the american fixation on calling them a fucking miata

range rovers- driven by stupid parents taking little timmy to school because oh no he cannot get any rain and then parked like a wanker on the high street (and the fact that new ones are probably cheaper to tax than my renault)

fiat 500s (new one)- driven by college students who have no imagination and a car paid by mum and dad

and.. breathe

admittedly i have only driven the mini here so perhaps the others might be good cars, and to those who enjoy em fair play- they just boil my piss for no reason. 

I kind of agree. These cars don't though exactly make me angry, they're all examples of cars that I almost sub-consciously think are driven by other people but not me. There are plenty of cars I aspire to and can see myself in, but not the above. Yet I now own two MX5s. I used to think boring overhyped hairdressers etc until a friend persuaded me to get one. I then realized what I had been missing and have owned four. I suspect the other cars mentioned above might have the same effect on me were I to try them.

The cars I actually hate are any kind of modern big blobby SUV thing that drives right up your arse  with lights blazing and filling your mirror with grille. They are all so tedious I can''t be bothered to even pay attention to what they all are.

I find most cars I own make people angry.

Especially if painted in a colour other than original, that definitely winds people up. 🤣 Saying that, it's been a while since I've wound up the AS fragiles, think another silly paintjob or modification is in order. 🤔

• loserone changed the title to What car turns you into a raging twat?