What car makes you angry?

loserone

What car makes you angry? Well even if this thread was meant as a piss take, I’ll answer it seriously (ish). The following doesn’t make me angry as such, rather it makes me disappointed.

The BMW MINI aka BINI

When the BMW MINI came out in 2001, I quite liked the look of it and in particular the Cooper S version and read how great they were to drive, however I felt despite that the designers could have made an effort to be a little innovative rather than treating it as just a retro styling exercise. I realise that packaging like the original was not possible, but some brands (1st gen Mercedes A class springs to mind) had some good ideas in this direction. There were also a few interesting, innovative concept BINIs that came to nothing.

Then as succeeding generations of Bini came out they got bigger and uglier and bore less and less resemblance to the (original) Mini. They also brought out even bigger and uglier spin offs, the Clubman and Countryman which to me are truly hideous and everything a Mini shouldn’t be. I don’t generally like most SUV/Crossover vehicles anyway, but I find these things using the Mini name to be the least Mini Like of all. Then there is also the Pacman (?) not sure how it’s different from the Country/Clubman, but also hideous. If you are calling the thing Mini, I expect it to be Mini. The Countryman is bigger than my Volvo (ok it’s a small Volvo, but still).

They should have called it a MAXI (BAXI?) in the first place if they wanted it big.

On 1/13/2022 at 9:34 PM, Angrydicky said:

Good call. Yes I also hate the seatbelt alarms, as you say they're incredibly annoying when just moving cars around.

My dad's MK3 Mondeo has one, as does their Mitsubishi Outlander 'PHEV' hybrid thing. That goes one step further though as it's not just linked into the drivers seat. I got into the back and the car started squawking at me to put my seatbelt on as I'm just reaching to put it on. Seriously, I hate this kind of nannying shit in cars these days, treating the owners and their passengers like complete fucking simpletons. All that bullshit like lane departure warnings, and the car braking for you if it detects a hazard, would drive me mad.

Thank goodness the newest car I own is a 24 year old Rover 620, which has none of this rubbish - just one alarm if you've left your lights on, and a handbrake warning light, just like Talbot's Merc. Which is very sensible.

My 50-year-old Volvo has a seatbelt warning.  Thankfully it's just a red light that glows away in the dash, it doesn't beep, ping or flash at you, so it can be ignored if need be.

7 hours ago, FakeConcern said:

What car makes you angry? Well even if this thread was meant as a piss take, I’ll answer it seriously (ish). The following doesn’t make me angry as such, rather it makes me disappointed.

The BMW MINI aka BINI

When the BMW MINI came out in 2001, I quite liked the look of it and in particular the Cooper S version and read how great they were to drive, however I felt despite that the designers could have made an effort to be a little innovative rather than treating it as just a retro styling exercise. I realise that packaging like the original was not possible, but some brands (1st gen Mercedes A class springs to mind) had some good ideas in this direction. There were also a few interesting, innovative concept BINIs that came to nothing.

Then as succeeding generations of Bini came out they got bigger and uglier and bore less and less resemblance to the (original) Mini. They also brought out even bigger and uglier spin offs, the Clubman and Countryman which to me are truly hideous and everything a Mini shouldn’t be. I don’t generally like most SUV/Crossover vehicles anyway, but I find these things using the Mini name to be the least Mini Like of all. Then there is also the Pacman (?) not sure how it’s different from the Country/Clubman, but also hideous. If you are calling the thing Mini, I expect it to be Mini. The Countryman is bigger than my Volvo (ok it’s a small Volvo, but still).

They should have called it a MAXI (BAXI?) in the first place if they wanted it big.

I owned a (BMW) Mini, it was a 3 door & the Pork Loin (park Lane) version, I bought it to teach the wife to drive in . It wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t remotely quick, or even “nippy” or economical I thought.

I did think it was quite well built, but then I guess it should be.

I have to agree with you that the SUV types are odd especially the Clubfoot and the 5 door is huge, it looks wrong too, the rear doors don’t seem to flow with the general (lack of?) styling.

Agree, that the 5 door at least shouldn’t be called a Mini, it even looks like a Maxi.

The coupe looks hideous too.

On 1/13/2022 at 9:36 PM, carburettor said:

I think they made the mk2 exceptionally well. I’m pretty sure you’re right that the mk3 was made with water based paint and it rusted under the plastics,  sill covers bumpers etc and (on the gti) the wheel arch covers. I quite like the Golf, in mk1,2,3,4 and mk5, but for me they are far to expensive when compared to a Focus, I’m not a fan of the styling of the mk1 focus but still, value wise it’s Ford all the way I think 

I thought the Mk2 really was a quality product, my brother had one, the bodywork and paint was miles ahead of any Ford or Vauxhall at the time.

1 minute ago, sierraman said:

I thought the Mk2 really was a quality product, my brother had one, the bodywork and paint was miles ahead of any Ford or Vauxhall at the time.

My mk2 fell to bits. It was the worst car I have ever owned.

It was a 140k mile Gti16v. Looked okay, went like fuck but something broke every time I drove it.

Not always a big thing, might be a bit of trim or an electrical failure or a new clonk to investigate but something.

I can only assume it had been totally abused throughout its life.

I’m yet to understand what all the  fuss is about with VWs. Especially Transporters. All the ones I’ve driven have been drab and plasticky and just ergonomically kack. And all the ones I’ve worked on have been a swine by design and fucked by negligence because the owner thinks they’re reliable so they just leave the maintenance until another day.
Never mind the state of the tyres, just hang a piñata from your 200k mile diesel Bora’s rear view mirror and advertise it for £2k. #dubz4ever

2 minutes ago, KitKat said:

fucked by negligence because the owner thinks they’re reliable so they just leave the maintenance until another day.

This is a problem for them all, across the VAG range IMO. It is possible to get ones that have been looked after, but they command a hell of a price for reasons beyond me.

1 minute ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

This is a problem for them all, across the VAG range IMO. It is possible to get ones that have been looked after, but they command a hell of a price for reasons beyond me.

1 minute ago, sierraman said:

I worked for a company many years ago and we had the upturned bathtub shape Passat, great motorway car. But when you ask anyone that’s had one they always seem to be fixing bits on it. The shape after Passat was utter crap, I think this is when the quality went down the pan. 

Glad I’m not the only one that thinks this. There always seems a prolific number of broken VAGs in the classifieds. they might have been reliable once but they certainly aren’t nowadays.

1 hour ago, drum said:

Lol 😂

Continuing the wrong theme...

Electric car pretend front grilles. How wank do they look?

908327940_Screenshot_20220116-1113472.thumb.png.e12a041dbd8e5cdd5b16a38d55aaf210.png

This is so true, fucking eco warriors in horrible looking cars, some might be very competent but why do they all have to be so fucking ugly, and righteous with the green tab on the number plate. Fuck them and their utter hypocrisy.

What are the government going to do about the dwindling revenue from petrol and diesel vehicles?

RE Vag stuff, I’m convinced that the old ones suffer at the hands of utter wankers who don’t change the oil and cam belts and as  importantly water pumps at the correct time. 

4 minutes ago, carburettor said:

RE Vag stuff, I’m convinced that the old ones suffer at the hands of utter wankers who don’t Changan belts and more imp water pumps at the correct time.

Yep, particularly your B5 Passats and MkIV Golfs in this area. Ran into the ground. The TDI Fabia down the road from me might go the same way too, which is quite gutting as it's in decent nick and low mileage.

On 1/14/2022 at 3:45 PM, artdjones said:

The Swedes tried to mandate water based paint back in the 70s but had to give the idea up after Saab and Volvo told the government that they had to choose between using ecologically sound paint and having a motor industry because no-one buys cars that dissolve in a few years.

MK3 Golfs are bad, but Ventos, which are the saloon version, don't seem to.

Can someone in the know enlighten me? Been a long time since I was in the bodyshop trade.. in water based paint, the water is just the carrier, which evaporates off anyway, just like the solvent. And as water based paint is a base coat and clear, isn't the lacquer still solvent based?

Upmarket SUV - always on the motorways they’ll come up behind someone even when it’s a camera gantry section and the car in front is doing 70mph - can’t go any faster, barging through like they’re some fucking Knight of the road or the QE2 coming into port. It’s the level of arrogance that hacks me off, they’ll hang on someone’s arse inches from it, knowing full well if something happened they’d likely wipe out the kids sat in the back of the car in front. Absolute cretins. 

Miscellaneous German hatchback over 5 years old - witnessed this today, double white solid line but he’s overtaking anyway, no doubt off his head on whatever low grade shit he’s shoved up his nose in some Hungry Horse the night before. It’s consistently an Audi A3/4, BMW or a VAG over a few years old. I find myself watching these Police Interceptor things on the occasion I have the television in front of me. Time and time again ‘Andy and Pat’ or whatever Britains last remaining traffic police officer is called will pull over some cunt in a puffer jacket, and the car will be one of the above and in my head I’ll go ‘Audi A3, bag full of coke, who’d have thought?!’

It does make driving easier in some senses because given people with a reduced IQ seem to tool around in certain cars you can spot them a mile off and take evasive action. 

20 hours ago, FakeConcern said:

The BMW MINI aka BINI

bmw turned mini into a brand, the 2003 car was a 20th century mini but then it became all about the brand... fiat did the same with thee 500 

32 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Upmarket SUV - always on the motorways they’ll come up behind someone even when it’s a camera gantry section and the car in front is doing 70mph - can’t go any faster, barging through like they’re some fucking Knight of the road or the QE2 coming into port. It’s the level of arrogance that hacks me off, they’ll hang on someone’s arse inches from it, knowing full well if something happened they’d likely wipe out the kids sat in the back of the car in front. Absolute cretins. 

Toyota RAV4 that was behind me sitting in the back of my Fabia was a bad yin. Overtook me on a straight when I'm doing 60mph, narrowly missing the Stagecoach bus coming the other way.

Luckily I don't have any kids, it was just myself.

20 hours ago, FakeConcern said:

The BMW MINI aka BINI

The rear tail lights in a Union jack flag type pattern really pisses me off - I mean WTAF is that supposed to achieve 

On 1/15/2022 at 11:00 AM, JimH said:

Ro80: The staple of the pub bore who once read a copy of Classic Cars when Martin Buckley was going on about them. One of the greatest cars ever yet it managed to bankrupt its manufacturer and had a decent go of doing the same to its owners so it can't have been, you know, that brilliant. Anyway, everyone with eyes that work know that the K70 was a far better car. 

More so, the staple comments from those that have never owned and in most cases even driven a Ro80. And yet, have formed an opinion based on a magazine that they once read.

32 minutes ago, carburettor said:

Yes, like-a dis, innit m8

CE823794-ABC0-4E75-B367-0B89AA6BCF2A.jpeg

I had an Airfix model of a Mini of that era that I painted and everything. I got too impatient waiting for the paint to dry and pulled out my Mum's hairdryer... it melted. Turns out, it looked like one of those Mini "coupes" at the end.