Jump to content

What car makes you angry?


loserone
 Share

Recommended Posts

This has always been one for me

I’ve driven a few Mk4 TT Supras and I just cannot work it out. They are heavy, don’t handle very well, don’t feel anywhere near as quick as they should, I don’t think they look that good either.

Why they go for the same price as a small house in some areas nowadays I will never understand. 
 

In all fairness the same goes for a lot of 90s Jap stuff. 

9E6544A7-70E6-41C7-9678-EABF938B884B.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

This has always been one for me

I’ve driven a few Mk4 TT Supras and I just cannot work it out. They are heavy, don’t handle very well, don’t feel anywhere near as quick as they should, I don’t think they look that good either.

Why they go for the same price as a small house in some areas nowadays I will never understand. 
 

In all fairness the same goes for a lot of 90s Jap stuff. 

9E6544A7-70E6-41C7-9678-EABF938B884B.jpeg

The Fast and the Furious, innit.  They've become fetishised by Millennials in the same way that DeLoreans have by Gen X-ers who think the Back to the Future films are the best ever made.   I've always viewed the Supra as a technologically slightly better but rather soulless copy of an American pony car, which is useful if one lives in a market without such things.  What's baffling, however, is that the Americans have endless Mustangs and Firebirds on their doorstep yet they still lust after that Supra, some to the point that they'll pay hundreds of thousands to import one and then put up with the wheel being on the wrong side.  I don't get it either, and would rather have the real thing!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

This has always been one for me

I’ve driven a few Mk4 TT Supras and I just cannot work it out. They are heavy, don’t handle very well, don’t feel anywhere near as quick as they should, I don’t think they look that good either.

Why they go for the same price as a small house in some areas nowadays I will never understand. 
 

In all fairness the same goes for a lot of 90s Jap stuff. 

9E6544A7-70E6-41C7-9678-EABF938B884B.jpeg

They don't like it when they learn it was slower than the MR2, isn't as agile and also required the engine from it/a GT Four, to be any good in the JTCC.

I used to like a mk4 Supra, but because of the F&F shit hyping them up to crazy levels, it gets really old

The same as Skyline's. Any Skyline, OMGGGG OMG!!1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Missy Charm said:

The Fast and the Furious, innit.  They've become fetishised by Millennials in the same way that DeLoreans have to Gen X-ers who think the Back to the Future films are the best ever made.   I've always viewed the Supra as a technologically slightly better but rather soulless copy of an American pony car, which is useful if one lives in a market without such things.  What's baffling, however, is that the Americans have endless Mustangs and Firebirds on their doorstep yet they still lust after that Supra, some to the point that they'll pay hundreds of thousands to import one and then put up with the wheel being on the wrong side.  I don't get it either, and would rather have the real thing!

BTTF is the best film ever made. But I know the DeLorean is a shit car. 
No matter how cool. *Stares at 1:8 scale model*

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Out Run said:

They don't like it when they learn it was slower than the MR2, isn't as agile and also required the engine from it/a GT Four, to be any good in the JTCC.

I used to like a mk4 Supra, but because of the F&F shit hyping them up to crazy levels, it gets really old

The same as Skyline's. Any Skyline, OMGGGG OMG!!1

An ex-colleague started with an mk2 MR2, then a 350Z, then got an R32 GTR which after 6 weeks he “hit a bump in the road at 40” but hit a tree stump in a grass verge so hard it was a Cat B write off 😂 then got a TT Supra. I never had the heart to tell him the MR2 was my favourite out of the lot of them. 
 

He still to this day seems to think the Supra is the best car ever made, I don’t even see it as a car I look at and think “wow”, I just see it as a very expensive but very average car IMO. 
 

There are many other GT cars out there that I’d pick over one, for a fraction of the cost too!

 

I think for me though a supra is just the top of a whole category of cars that I don’t get the fascination of - Jap stuff as a whole. I’ve driven lots of Civic type R’s over the years for example. They handle well and are nippy when you use the rev range correctly but honestly coming from a life of higher bhp diesels, I’d pick the torque of a decent diesel over ragging the tits off of a NA vtec! 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

This has always been one for me

I’ve driven a few Mk4 TT Supras and I just cannot work it out. They are heavy, don’t handle very well, don’t feel anywhere near as quick as they should, I don’t think they look that good either.

Why they go for the same price as a small house in some areas nowadays I will never understand. 
 

In all fairness the same goes for a lot of 90s Jap stuff. 

My Mum drove one in comparison to the ST185s and ST205's her and my Dad had and she much preferred the Celicas over the Supra.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

An ex-colleague started with an mk2 MR2, then a 350Z, then got an R32 GTR which after 6 weeks he “hit a bump in the road at 40” but hit a tree stump in a grass verge so hard it was a Cat B write off 😂 then got a TT Supra. I never had the heart to tell him the MR2 was my favourite out of the lot of them. 
 

He still to this day seems to think the Supra is the best car ever made, I don’t even see it as a car I look at and think “wow”, I just see it as a very expensive but very average car IMO. 
 

There are many other GT cars out there that I’d pick over one, for a fraction of the cost too!

 

I think for me though a supra is just the top of a whole category of cars that I don’t get the fascination of - Jap stuff as a whole. I’ve driven lots of Civic type R’s over the years for example. They handle well and are nippy when you use the rev range correctly but honestly coming from a life of higher bhp diesels, I’d pick the torque of a decent diesel over ragging the tits off of a NA vtec! 
 

 

Unlucky with the R32 lol. Were it a 33, it would be more understandable. Akin to the Titanic trying to steer around the iceberg, ultimately a futile effort.

We're all different and that is fair enough. I know what you mean about having to rape a 4cyl Honda etc. One of the reasons the MR2 is a keeper for me, is the drive of it. To sound like Top Gear wankers, it does give a sense of 'occasion' that I have never found in another car. The turbo spooling behind your head, the savage grip. That, and the fact it will try and kill you if you take the piss with the layout, is very appealing to me.

Yet it's the very thing that drives a lot away. Hey ho. I'll let them wank over their RS Escorts. Been there, done that.

I do enjoy driving my TDCi Mondeo, it's quick, but manual diesels rev out too quickly for me. They certainly make a better daily than having to beat an EP3 or whatever, like it stole something from you, mind.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

My late Dad had a white Carlos Sainz one "back in the day"

1210300928_Pict001.thumb.jpg.d2df3c9688927bb263e9f11e9e0d2af5.jpg

And an orange ST205 further on, I'll need to physically look out a photo of that one from the depths of tedium, however.

Beautiful. That looks so good! It's such a bonus that they are overengineered and overbuilt.

Shame they got banned from WRC, or it would have been a lot different.

Subaru who?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, maxxo said:

VW T2 vans and other air cooled VWs

fucking shite

i hate them, i hate the people who think they're great

they're not, they're shite to drive, catch fire, break down and get in everyones way doing 40 on the M6

yet people spaff £40k on one

I’ve owned quite a few and I think the problem is one of context.  In the 1940s they had the suspension and driveline layout of the best racing cars 10 years earlier.

In the 1950s they could be driven hard for much, much longer than anything else on the road without breaking down.  These things sold in America in huge quantities despite Detroit being on top of their game and being the exact opposite of a VW.

In the early 1960s they were much higher quality than anything else for three times the price.  Drive an unmolested one and it’s got an honest, simple integrity that we’ll never see again in cars.

Unfortunately the owners since then who don’t understand the engineering and think putting a load of chrome on an engine which relies on the black metal surfaces to radiate heat, are utter fuckwits.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

I've still got the two magazines it featured in (Fast and Modified being one), believe the other was Banzai?

It could well be Banzai.

Next time you come across them, any chance of a photo of the article?

I'm a big fan of the (underrated) 3S-GTE engine.  I just put 'A35 GTE' onto mine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Subaru Imprezas.. don't get it. Never been impressed by one yet. Subarus are vets cars..

Glanza things ..don't get it. Just don't.

Alfa Giulietta. Too ordinary. An Alfa for people who don't get Alfas. See also Mito.

Rx8. Love the design. Always owned by twats who don't understand.

Land Rovers. Any of them,and all of them. Overcomplicated,over hyped and as reliable as Boris Johnsons hairdresser.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, garethj said:

I’ve owned quite a few and I think the problem is one of context.  In the 1940s they had the suspension and driveline layout of the best racing cars 10 years earlier.

In the 1950s they could be driven hard for much, much longer than anything else on the road without breaking down.  These things sold in America in huge quantities despite Detroit being on top of their game and being the exact opposite of a VW.

In the early 1960s they were much higher quality than anything else for three times the price.  Drive an unmolested one and it’s got an honest, simple integrity that we’ll never see again in cars.

Unfortunately the owners since then who don’t understand the engineering and think putting a load of chrome on an engine which relies on the black metal surfaces to radiate heat, are utter fuckwits.

I agree with this to an extent, but the first time I drove one I found it unpleasant to drive, with the steering feeling very wandery and the brakes not great. The T3/25 was a big improvement when it came out, pleasant to drive, and with some actual crash protection.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, chancer said:

the Mk1 Ka was a fantastic car. Ive had a couple now and loved them. Almost as good and chuckable as the original mini. Pity about the rust issues really

at least a mini felt like it had brakes- the same cannot be said for the kak

only 3 cars have given me the "OH SHIT" feeling when pressing the brake pedal and one of them was due to fluid loss!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Soundwave said:

MX5s seem to draw as much ire as they do acclaim. So many social media posts about them seem to devolve into "Huurr, hairdresser car". 

Was once out in mine, had a pedestrian call out to me while I was stationary: "Oi! You look so gay, your name should be Gay McGay". This was a fully grown man, appeared to be in his 40s with a neck like a birthday cake and a slightly vacant look, hurling attempted insults with the finesse and vocabulary of a badly-raised 7 year old. All because of a car. Bizarre. :D

That's awesome. At least you were enjoying your car. Sod 'em.

Some people see it as their God-given right to holler shite at people in floppytops. I have a clear recollection of when we took the MR2 to Newquay (with the roof down, obviously) and hunted for a parking space on a side road near one of the beaches. We drove up and down the road slowly a couple of times in the hope that someone would be vacating their space, but no such luck. It just so happened that the beer garden of a smallish, scabby pub fronted onto the road and some jumped up, alcoholic wheezing neanderthal decided he'd start hollering a load of indecipherable bollocks at us whilst waving his arms. I stopped and started to shout back, which made monkey man appear one step closer to a seizure. Unfortunately, my rather pregnant fiancée insisted we GTFO and as I'm sure many of us know, there's no negotiating with a pregnant woman. At all. Shame, as I was fully prepared to get the old fool properly wound up. 

It still irks me though. If we'd been driving a 'normal' car but had the windows down, dickhead wouldn't have looked twice at us. Knobheads.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Cars to make you angry?

There's a car worse than all of the above. 

Every single last one of them. 

It's so bad, it's infinitely shitter than shite with absolutely no redeeming features.

It's the grey sky on a dreary winter's day.

It's the beige slacks in the chubby size bought from M&S to replace the previous chubby-sized beige slacks from M&S.

It's the annoying twat who appears at house parties who no-one remembers inviting and who no-one actually likes.

It's the dregs at the bottom of a bottle of cheap supermarket cola which wasn't particularly fizzy even when unopened on the shelf. 

It's the frustrating spot you want to pop but the swine just won't cooperate and ends up being a red mess. 

It's the mouldy veg thrown out by the supermarket and which even the planet-saving eco warriors turn their noses up at. 

It's the sneeze which just won't release, even though you're willing the bastard to just let go.

It's the fart in the lift left by the pleb who indulged too heavily in the curryhouse the night before. 

It's the largest cold sore you never wanted. 

It's the sour milk which leaked into your footwell carpet.

It's the crappy toy from a cracker which doesn't even deserve one use, let alone several. 

It's the dog turd you accidentally stepped in and then unknowingly spread all over your immaculate cream carpet.

It's the car with a face so ugly, even its mother would turn in disgust.

It's the 318d/320d. 

Burn them. Burn them all.

spacer.png

FTFY

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I find the VW T2 hate amusing. I think it’s like hating Man Utd or something. Like an anti popular opinion thing.

Here’s a pic of mine

F18002AB-45BE-4DF8-B288-029AD09C86DC.thumb.jpeg.f7d8c348fe5bd97df99886e70c0f86ed.jpegI’ve had the hopeless old overrated piece of shit for 13 years. I kept it that long because it’s so shit I don’t wanna inflict it on anywhere else. I frequently wish I bought an old Bedford CF or Talbot Express, so I could be individual and far cooler.

You see, driving around in silence at 70mph gets old, whilst returning 30mpg, in a vehicle with independent all round suspension.

Id rather have had a cart springed shitbox, with all the dynamics of a pissed hippo. Unfortunately they were all dead by their eighth birthday, so I had to settle for this overrated crap pile. 
What an overrated piece of crap, 13 years, 60 odd thousand miles. Everyone covered with tears in my eyes. Why didn’t I buy a transit, with a shit old pinto boat anchor or a fabulously engineered Talbot. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Soundwave said:

 

To each his own - personally, my Fabia is the best all-round car I've ever had. No, seriously, I really do like it - it's the Mk3 though, does that change anything? :D

 

I'm lucky enough to own a few different cars and can pick which one I want to drive, but what car did I buy as an utter cheap stopgap with the intention of throwing away a few weeks later - yet still have and drive everywhere?

975134906_2021-11-1020_32_32.thumb.jpg.5706f614835dbdcc53618b2b1450bd5e.jpg

Its very slow and ugly but I can't stop driving the little shit heap. Comfortable, practical, super cheap to run (except road tax), easy to fix and does everything you ever need a motorcar to do.

Its MOT expires in less than 30 days and I fully intend to send it through one. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, SiC said:

I'm lucky enough to own a few different cars and can pick which one I want to drive, but what car did I buy as an utter cheap stopgap with the intention of throwing away a few weeks later - yet still have and drive everywhere?

975134906_2021-11-1020_32_32.thumb.jpg.5706f614835dbdcc53618b2b1450bd5e.jpg

Its very slow and ugly but I can't stop driving the little shit heap. Comfortable, practical, super cheap to run (except road tax), easy to fix and does everything you ever need a motorcar to do.

Its MOT expires in less than 30 days and I fully intend to send it through one. 

What engine do you have in yours? Having foglights suggests an Ambiente or better and slowness suggests 1.2 12v, like mine. And my god it's slow haha.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, artdjones said:

I agree with this to an extent, but the first time I drove one I found it unpleasant to drive, with the steering feeling very wandery and the brakes not great. The T3/25 was a big improvement when it came out, pleasant to drive, and with some actual crash protection.

This is an important part of it - most people have driven fucked examples but a good one is quite sweet to gently punt around.  The last one I had (about 10 years ago) was light and fairly precise given the rest of the car’s dynamics.

It definitely doesn’t drive like a modern car but that’s part of its charm.  My record player doesn’t sound like a streamed digital recording but the shortcomings don’t bother me and the human feel makes a nice change from the modern world.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...