What car makes you angry?

loserone

On 10/01/2022 at 16:53, DavidB said:

Car design that look like this:

NISSAN JUKE ACENTA MK1 F15 FACELIFT BREAKING RED | eBay

I'm sure they're OK to drive, but shitloads of cars now look like this. Rank.

Cramped, hideous ride quality, numb steering, vague gearshift, poor visibility all round.

No redeeming features from the one I hired in Spain last summer.

On 1/16/2022 at 4:21 PM, big_al_granvia said:

bmw turned mini into a brand, the 2003 car was a 20th century mini but then it became all about the brand... fiat did the same with thee 500 

Yeah I get that, but BMC/Leyland did a similar thing of making lots of versions of the Mini, not just different badges, but also the various body styles (Moke, estate, van, pick up etc), but they all remained true the Mini size suggested by the name, even the Italian Innocenti De Tomaso spin off did. When they needed a bigger car and four doors with the same running gear, it became the 1100/1300 not a big bloated misnomer!

2 hours ago, FakeConcern said:

Yeah I get that, but BMC/Leyland did a similar thing of making lots of versions of the Mini, not just different badges, but also the various body styles (Moke, estate, van, pick up etc), but they all remained true the Mini size suggested by the name, even the Italian Innocenti De Tomaso spin off did. When they needed a bigger car and four doors with the same running gear, it became the 1100/1300 not a big bloated misnomer!

You aren't getting it mate, with Leyland the mini was a model, aye it was a pick-up and the moke etc. With bmw mini is a brand totally separate from bmw, it is seen as hip, young, funky. Aimed at a different demographic from bmw. A mini buyer wouldn't know who John Cooper was but they know the jcw is the fast one. It's all marketing and image, the car is just a part of the jigsaw. Different world to us shiters

9 minutes ago, big_al_granvia said:

You aren't getting it mate, with Leyland the mini was a model, aye it was a pick-up and the moke etc. With bmw mini is a brand totally separate from bmw, it is seen as hip, young, funky. Aimed at a different demographic from bmw. A mini buyer wouldn't know who John Cooper was but they know the jcw is the fast one. It's all marketing and image, the car is just a part of the jigsaw. Different world to us shiters

I bought a BMW Mini ( for the wife) and I do know who John Cooper was. Incidentally, a Google search throws up John Cooper , serial killer before John Cooper , car maker.

18 hours ago, big_al_granvia said:

Oh I do get it really, just being deliberately obtuse!

Citroen’s use of the Brand (formerly model) name DS isn’t so annoying to me as the name doesn’t imply a particular type of car as does MINI. I would have thought that they (BMW) could have used that to create a USP rather than ending up with a brand that could have been called anything really.

Anyway this is probably why I’m not employed in marketing BMW/MINI...

9 hours ago, FakeConcern said:

Oh I do get it really, just being deliberately obtuse!

Citroen’s use of the Brand (formerly model) name DS isn’t so annoying to me as the name doesn’t imply a particular type of car as does MINI. I would have thought that they (BMW) could have used that to create a USP rather than ending up with a brand that could have been called anything really.

Anyway this is probably why I’m not employed in marketing BMW/MINI...

Who said Germans don’t have a sense of humour? Build a big(ish) car, call it a mini and the Englanders will buy as many as we can make. Make it progressively uglier, and they still buy! Laughing all the way to the Bundesbank!

On 16/01/2022 at 16:42, Rusty Pelican said:

The rear tail lights in a Union jack flag type pattern really pisses me off - I mean WTAF is that supposed to achieve 

Union Jacks on any product not built in the UK, piss me off. 

Isn't the Cuntyman and the pacman built on mainland Europe. Austria ? 

5 hours ago, New POD said:

Union Jacks on any product not built in the UK, piss me off. 

Isn't the Cuntyman and the pacman built on mainland Europe. Austria ? 

Doesn’t the Vivaro pitch off the back of this ‘built in England’ bollocks? 

I don’t know why you’d shout about that to be honest, we’ve turned some right tripe out over the years, I’d be keeping a lid on that. Ford went down that route years ago then ended up massive egg on their face when they moved production to Turkey a little later. 

Even built in the UK is often smoke and mirrors. 

Where do you components and sub-assemblies come from? What value is the labour content in hours in the UK compared with the labour content for all the parts from the rest of the world. 

8 minutes ago, New POD said:

Even built in the UK is often smoke and mirrors. 

Where do you components and sub-assemblies come from? What value is the labour content in hours in the UK compared with the labour content for all the parts from the rest of the world. 

Good point. Assembled in the U.K. from components bought in from across the globe. I recall Vauxhall doing an advert years ago, I’m talking maybe late 80’s - I’ve a copy of the advert someplace, about how much of the new Astra was sourced locally. Obviously now most of these little firms in the midlands or wherever making electric window motors etc for GM have gone bust and it’ll be made in China for a fraction of the cost. 

52 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Good point. Assembled in the U.K. from components bought in from across the globe. I recall Vauxhall doing an advert years ago, I’m talking maybe late 80’s - I’ve a copy of the advert someplace, about how much of the new Astra was sourced locally. Obviously now most of these little firms in the midlands or wherever making electric window motors etc for GM have gone bust and it’ll be made in China for a fraction of the cost. 

When I started at Lucas in 1989 there were 77 UK sites.  I think 50% were automotive. The rest aerospace and industrial. 

Because of my role, I visited a fair few of them or was seconded to them for a few weeks.

Let me think which ones I visited 

Diesel at Acton and Stonehouse. 

Car braking at Pontypool and Fen End

Truck brakes at Cywmbran 

Electronics at College Road,  and Mere Green and Halford Drive 

Great king Street

Rossendale Road and Eastern Avenue in Burnley 

Fuse boxes and Harnesses in Newcastle under Lyme 

Batteries in Tysley, Brum. 

Research centre in Shirley 

I wonder which still exist? 

Also visited Diesel in Blois and La Rochel in France and car braking in Koblenz.