Travelling with a camera: my photo scans from the early 90's

reallyloud

Superb update! Difficult to single out any for comment, but the Audi Avant, Bluebird and Alfa saloon are particularly fine.What's the registration on the B11 Sunny please? My ageing eyes couldn't quite make it out. It's impressive to stil be seeing those and the N12 Cherry 25 years on, as they were rather insubstantial compared to Datsuns of old and the engines have the head and gasket issues.

• 2 weeks later...

This time of year again, car shows start filling up the weekends. Bristol closed a few streets in the old town to allow owners of Italian cars park on the pavements - the place was rammed and had a fine spread of cars. Here's a selection of my faves.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

1 of 5 Montreals

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This was very popular. People constantly swarming around it....

Posted Image

...as was this mental 500.

Posted Image

This car belongs to one of the guys I work with. Featured in a magazine quite recently.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Selecta model, with Continuously variable transmission.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This was great. Love this to bits.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4020/4549469316_9b15bc0b14_o.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4007/4549469410_5311f296b8_o.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4033/4549469570_f0f20df5a1_o.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4047/4549469504_fcef8afb09_o.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4050/4548834889_14b4340fbf_o.jpg

Great Italians! I seem to remember seeing photos (maybe yours?) ion previous years too. What a great event! I wonder what the connection is or how they managed to persuade Bristol to host such a thing. The Triumph is really gorgeous 8)

Man, how have those Alfasuds survived?I bought a 'X' Plate in 1987 (WLN 425X) and it was as rusty as a rusty thing. MOT failure 1988.That said, it is a joint first in my 'best cars I have owned' list.Anyone want to guess the joint winner? (It's not Italian)

Ace photos as per RL, impossible to pinpoint a favourite but I am seriously warming to Dedras, bloody ace cars. That Uno is great too, nice to see one in great condition.Auto Italia day at Brooklands this weekend, bet a few of these will be here! I cant wait.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a small selection of the relatively meagre selection seen today at Beaulieu. Reasonable attendance no doubt helped by the fact it didn't rain.

Usual car park fodder:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I don't think this model is an offical UK model - might have originated in the south hemisphere.

Posted Image

Striking wheels.

Posted Image

This was fully kitted out with a white leather interior and dozens of dials.

Posted Image

Always seems to be one of these at Beaulieu - infact I've only ever seen them there.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Loved this!

Select number from inside the venue:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Two of the very few cheap cars for sale....

Posted Image

...being sold by a banger racer. This Laurel was bought very cheaply and taken through an MOT without any issues. £700 - looked a bit tired but not unreasonable value.

Posted Image

I checked the sills for strengthing and concluded this is unsafe at any speed. The B pillars were simply cut off.

Posted Image

This was ace.

Posted Image

Posted Image

18,000 miles on the clock.

Posted Image

Barn find, unused for about 10 years - I think he wanted £750 for it. Might have stood a better chance if he'd cleaned it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Earliest transit I've seen - would this be one of the first?

I'll post the rest up tomorrow.

Consul Ute is almost certainly from down under. Avenger wheels worth mega coin to Lotus Cortina/OSF buffs. Daimler estate is superb!I think that A40 pick up is also an Aussie ute as the cab is quite different to UK pick ups which had square cab backs.

I wonder how much it cost that geezer to trailer that old Maxi down there, buy a pitch on which to advertise it, pay for his camping or whetever over the weekend and so on, only to then ask a ridiculous price that surely no-one will ever pay. if I had that I would wash it, get the engine going and pump the suspension up - none of that stuff costs owt, but would turn it from a restoration project into a half-presentable maxi that needs some recommissioning, for which punters wont have to don an overall before inspecting.

Chatting to some of the traders people are still quite cautious about their spending - they'd typically ask how much something would be and then walk away without even bartering - admittedly the majority of punters are looking for specific items and not random objects. The cars in the main arena are always overpriced, but do seem to sell.

A few more cars that were seen in and around the event:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I forgot all about the 99 5 door hatchbacks - asides from the front styling they look very similar to the 900. Saab did wierd things with their cars - the very last 99 models were 2 door 900 saloons with 99 fronts.

Posted Image

Probabily destined for a long life - Devon conversion on a LDV Pilot - Sherpa roots very evident.

Posted Image

Another 'BL' curio, I recall these going on sale but didn't see too many. Quite a good idea I think.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Seen this knocking around the New Forest a few times.

Posted Image

Very well looked after example.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Oh yeah! This was a find and a half. Looks like its been restored and possibly due to have its camping kit re-installed. I think I'm right in assuming that this Hiace would be the earliest survivor.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I like minis with sticky out wheels.

Posted Image

Another early production survivor - first ones came on a H.

Posted Image

There's always a good Land Rover turn out - the car parks on sunday are normally choc-a-block with 'One life' types but this was superb.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

One of quite a few Grannys and Cortinas seen.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have a soft spot for these - excellent cars and really a good way into owning a painless RWD classic. Still reasonable priced ones out there.

I also saw a Opel Kadett GT/E and Renault 16 - but these were definitely snapped last year.

Nice selection! Plug, plug, the Transit appears on the front cover of a certain weekly classic car paper this week. Hope they didn't reverse it as when we were playing with it, the bloomin' thing kept jamming!

Oh and message for The Moog, your camper could look like this!

Posted Image

That's a very, very nice Autosleeper conversion on the CF. Less character perhaps...

Posted Image

This is interesting, as I see it every day going in the opposite direction to me on my commute into work. Driven by a tweedy-looking type with beard, quite possibly a pipe smoker, and usually rammed to the gunnels with tat in the back. Looks a lot tidier in your photo, though!

I actually followed the Saab 900 in, and your character analysis is pretty much spot on. And it was actually full of crap on the back seat. The BMW 316 was sold as a breaker or repairs I think - it had no current tax or MOT but the car apparently starts and drives. Can forward you the mobile number if you fancy a jump into the unknown.

Great work, I went for both days and only got home an hour ago and now have 100's of photos to upload! :shock:

Posted Image

Two of the very few cheap cars for sale....

Posted Image

...being sold by a banger racer. This Laurel was bought very cheaply and taken through an MOT without any issues. £700 - looked a bit tired but not unreasonable value.

By the end of today the BMW was down to £275 and the Laurel was £550 both ONO so i guess he was keen to shift them, Most of the over priced tat was sold though there was a few still left.

I'll pop the photo's on here in due course once I've uploaded them all...