Bangkok Shite: 1986 Mazda 626 continuation thread.

Conan

IMG_20220318_135610.thumb.jpg.64c53cdc82f345cd6c2ca1fd66be394e.jpg

IMG_20220318_135627.thumb.jpg.77c1e6164f81953cda030967d4bea39d.jpg

IMG_20220318_134833.thumb.jpg.d520b88ed151680aeda4f62408184e70.jpg

Went and have a look at this thing today. 1986 Toyota Corolla. Same price as the 626 when it was first bought 2 years ago, basically. The fucker's mint inside but there's some bodywork flaw as to be expected from a car this old. It doesn't seem to be completely rotten. But the engine will need a rebuild immediately as it's worn to fuck, and it'll need fuel system work (new carb, new fuel pump) before it's reliable. It currently wouldn't even idle properly. Only runs on LPG.

Why am I even considering it? It's basically a worse 626. Doesn't drive as well, smaller, less comfortable. But parts are more plentiful and it should be heaps easier to work on comparatively to the clusterfuck I had with the 626. This thing is logical because it is a Toyota.

Oh and the day I was born me mum and dad took me home in a Corolla exactly like this one. A white 1986 1.3 XL. So there's a bit of sentimentality to it I guess.

I haven't pulled the trigger yet. If I buy this I'll have to sell the 626. I don't want to sell the 626 as it's much more exclusive and special. As in, there's less example of the 626 left than this, and I've driven this particular type of Corolla for many times they really aren't that great.

Tempting though... Thoughts?

IMG_20220318_140155.jpg

It's only done some 75,000 miles, but the engine's a bit fucked, nothing that can't be fix however.

Sheer sentimentality so don't, especially if it doesn't drive as well, doesn't look as good either, can see the brought home bit when born but that's about it, well, from my corner anyway

It all depends on how much more time/money/effort the Mazda still needs thrown at it, compared to what this Toymotor is likely to require. 

Having said that, I came home from the hospital in an orange Renner 14, and if one of those came up in right hand drive then rational thought wouldn’t enter the equation. 

I probably would be more tempted if I hadn't driven these Corollas before quite a few times now and found them to be uninspiring as fuck. You're right, it's pure sentimentality. I also can't deny that If I could keep them both or the engine isn't completely worn out there'd already be a collection thread.

I can keep driving the Mazda as it is without throwing much more money at it. Then again, while I do like the Mazda, I don't like it enough to keep it around forever. Still aiming for hairnet to drive the Mazda later this year so it's not likely going to be before that unless something properly amazing comes up. 😅

What's really stopping me is that these Corollas aren't really rare. Yes, they're rare in such nice cosmetic condition and what are the chances of finding another in the exact spec? But the Mazda is properly hen's teeth by this point at least locally and while that gives zero actual street cred it's still an obligation to keep it going at least a little further while, unlike the plentiful Corollas.

• 1 month later...
On 3/18/2022 at 9:22 PM, Conan said:

I can keep driving the Mazda as it is without throwing much more money at it. Then again, while I do like the Mazda, I don't like it enough to keep it around forever. Still aiming for hairnet to drive the Mazda later this year so it's not likely going to be before that unless something properly amazing comes up. 😅

Yea... about that. 

I did not put it on sale. The plan was still the same (hairnet drive later this year) despite the 'rona which I've already chronicled here.

However, a friend of mine offered decent amount of money for the Mazda. Way more than I'd want for it when I'm done.

It's sold. Gone. The only car I've ever sold for more than I've paid for it.

On the one hand I've glad to fuck it is gone. The bastard thing fighting me every step of the way. On the other hand I'm sad to see it gone. Weird, this is the first time I've ever feel that way selling a car, maybe because it's so sudden.

I like driving it. It's now sorted enough that I'd not hesitate taking it on 500 miles road trip. Although, considering that, I doubt it'd have lived much longer had I not took it on. No one else would shower that much care and attention on it.

Well, if it's true that internal combustion engine is dying, I'd like to experience more before I don't have the chance to.