Jumbuck Shiting

howe

Recently purchased this 2006 Proton Jumbuck on the cheap. I found it for sale in Girvan on a day when I needed to be in Ayr, took the train up, and got a lift over from @bigmancaff
Queue concern when speaking to the seller on the phone telling me he'll meet me in the town to follow his car out to the Jumbuck, being extremely vague about locations and where it's kept while also being aware there's a sizeable traveller camp round the area. Turns out it was a mutual friend with a touch of paranoia, had no issue otherwise.

IMG_20220104_153408.thumb.jpg.dd924f7426900ae322f1521cd8e838f9.jpg
IMG_20211228_155521.thumb.jpg.2ba768c27edf5a2ec840f2f5511eece0.jpg

I wanted something a bit rough around the edges while being mechanically sound to use heavily so this ticks all the boxes. I don't have to wory about bodywork etc and I can haul anything I need to around while I'm sorting garages/selling off tat.
Obviously the biggest change it needs is nicer wheels, the grim multifitment alloys will be coming off shortly. It's had new plugs (old ones seem to have been gapped for a carbed 4G15 rather than the fuel injected) which has made it smooooth, and a new air filter.
On the weekend I'll be fitting a new clutch, fuel filter, brake discs and pads, oil & filter, head unit and possibly tyres along with some other bits and pieces in prep for being in long term(ish) use.
I really love it so far. The mad sik yo exhaust creates a bit of drone but it's quite pleasant otherwise.

Aready earning it's keep:
IMG_20220101_125546.thumb.jpg.95498e02ca11895f9b195f0f5941999c.jpg

14 hours ago, stuboy said:

no surfboard rack?

It'll probably have kayaks strapped to it when the weather picks up

2 hours ago, Dead_E23 said:

Sounds like you have a busy weekend planned!  Is all that going to be done on a lift in a nice warm workshop, or rolling around on the drive in the cold?

I attempted the work on Tuesday in -1c, the jack kept sinking into the ground on the rough drive and my fingers were freezing off, did the plugs + air filter then left it.
Managed to negotiate full use of a workshop with a 4 post over the weekend in exchange for a bottle of whisky instead.

Fresh clutch, brake pads and discs, oil and filter, air filter, fuel filter and a few other bits including a new head unit and some bulbs fitted over the weekend, having a four poster was a dream compared to the usual driveway, lovely car to work on and definitely the easiest clutch change I've done on a FWD. It's about sorted as a long term driver.

Found a balljoint that needs replaced and some small bits but it's in remarkable nick otherwise, used by a landscaper for most of it's life it seems. The paint you can see rusting is where the PO hasn't prepped the surface well and it's coming away - I'll be painting over it again soon with Ivory colour Montana cans and sanding back the surface rust.

IMG_20220108_114310.thumb.jpg.95e4eb29e7a8166b388be6e0fb3237a8.jpg
IMG_20220109_133650.thumb.jpg.dd812aab99e74be8926b9c07c1fd2f95.jpg