AnnoyingPentium's Adventures - Once, twice, three times an MOT

AnnoyingPentium

33 minutes ago, SiC said:

Not tried changing the evap valve yet?

When he comes to sell, I reckon you should upgrade to my old/ @Stanky Fabia. More power, more solid engine, better economy and he's even done the cambelt on it recently too!

Tbh it will be for sale in the next 3 months, wife_stanky wants a newer car so will be surplus to requirement before the summer.

1 hour ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Haven't tried it yet, been waiting until I get paid.

I've been eyeing up that Fabia ever since you stuck it up for sale. I've also got my eye out for one with the 100hp version of that engine in an estate, as the extra space would be nice. :)

100bhp is only with super unleaded though which will get a bit annoying feeding a humdrum car with imo. Extra room in an estate is a useful thing though. 

5 minutes ago, SiC said:

100bhp is only with super unleaded though which will get a bit annoying feeding a humdrum car with imo. Extra room in an estate is a useful thing though. 

Aye feeding it super will probably become a pain as my local garage doesn't do it, I'd have to travel to Ayr and even then not all garages do it.

I'd go diesel, as I don't go into CAZ/LEZ/ULEZ zones unless travelling by train, or in the Duster anyway, but I don't know if I can justify the price per litre difference against the economy I'd be getting. Or even maybe moving away from Fabias in general. Much to consider here. I'd like to use the PSB bushes I bought for something though! :lol:

Also didn't know the 75hp engine could run okay on regular, I think the later 85hp in the final Mk1 Fabia Bohemia estates was the same as the 75 but I'm not sure.

• AnnoyingPentium changed the title to AnnoyingPentium's Adventures - Fabia MOT Time!
18 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

Not a terrible fail tbh!

Aye I'm not too bitter about it! I knew the spring was broken, and the exhaust was a bit fruitier than before too, and the handbrake was and still is a bit shite! I'll sort it out, it's still one up on the Punto from before. :lol:

image.thumb.png.36410dc682f0ae29ed4e43722325be8f.png

That'll do. Pasted above for those unable to see it on the site. :)

1 minute ago, robt100 said:

The exhaust gas leak may also be causinhg the fueling error. If its leaking out somwhere near the o2 sensor it'll be pulling in air and showing lean even if the mix in the engine is fine. So your MOT might fix the issue😆

I can only hope! Although it did have the front section replaced a wee while back, this seems to be the rear section unfortunately. 

• AnnoyingPentium changed the title to AnnoyingPentium's Adventures - Fabia MOT Fail!

The car is back home now. New top mounts sorted the creaking over bumps, and it's had an NSF spring and shock done... among the other things in the image below. Labour exceeded parts costs, with the combined total being £585.

Screenshot_20230215-132750_Gallery.jpg.c73660f97c325ca85d91fcfa42c647c4.jpg

One issue left, the car ejected a balancing weight and now shakes like a shitting dog. Beyond that. We're all good!

Snapchat-216977132.thumb.jpg.4beed74f040536da40edc800bce4f6ce.jpg

• AnnoyingPentium changed the title to AnnoyingPentium's Adventures - MOTin' 2 Electric Boogaloo
1 minute ago, JMotor said:

Stingy, yes. 

But you'd be hard pushed to find a car with a years' ticket (that isn't a raft in aw) for that money locally. 

Plus no rolling about on a damp floor getting pish wet through trying to fix it.

Aye definitely, and I justify it by saying that it's cheaper than a Sandero on one of those PCP leases... 😂

6 hours ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Aye definitely, and I justify it by saying that it's cheaper than a Sandero on one of those PCP leases... 😂

Exactly the same logic I've had with the Golf.  If I have to spent £350 on it every now and then, that's still less than £400 every month for a new car.

19 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Decent bill that, you scots are lucky :)

£40 an hour for labour... was a fiver less until the country's economy began going tits up! Doing pretty well, I'll say. Having that done at the Skoda dealer would have pushed that over double what it was I reckon.

5 minutes ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

Exactly the same logic I've had with the Golf.  If I have to spent £350 on it every now and then, that's still less than £400 every month for a new car.

Aye, given the money I'd be paying for the car itself, and the insurance that would be sky high compared to maybe £2-300 every so often, and £89 a month insurance (because yoof-fulness), I think I'm bloody quids in now. :)

57 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

£40 an hour for labour... was a fiver less until the country's economy began going tits up! Doing pretty well, I'll say. Having that done at the Skoda dealer would have pushed that over double what it was I reckon.

Aye, given the money I'd be paying for the car itself, and the insurance that would be sky high compared to maybe £2-300 every so often, and £89 a month insurance (because yoof-fulness), I think I'm bloody quids in now. :)

From a colleague’s experience, local Audi dealer is £195 per hour😬

There was me feeling sour after spending £100 on the 'Brokus' (Broken Focus... :)) last year for its power steering bits. Most I'd spent on a single car repair for fuckin ages 😅.

My last MOT bill was £50 - £45 for the test and £5 for some doowhacky I can't remember,

And £60 for the one before that, the test for £45 and a droplink and a wiper 😄

• AnnoyingPentium changed the title to AnnoyingPentium's Adventures - Perfectly Balanced... As Things Should Be

New tyres and tracking done at Abbotsinch in Kilmarnock again, all-seasons this time. Quiet as anything. Also noticed the exhaust has a wee bit of a note to it now, resonates through the cabin even at low speeds but isn't enough to be a nuisance. Nice. :D

20230218_143809.thumb.jpg.1b587edd83510eea490cff64b4fa721d.jpg

20230218_143819.thumb.jpg.3d060fde5d1010fb46c3ce53a00409de.jpg

They're Falken EuroAll-Season AS210 tyres if that matters to people. :)

• AnnoyingPentium changed the title to AnnoyingPentium's Adventures - T'riffic!

For those who don't already know (although I've found it difficult to keep my mouth shut). I'm in the process of doing a big big stupid and acquiring the former-@Flat4 Ford Focus, a 1998 1.8 Ghia estate in some sort of white. It appears to be one of the earliest - if not the earliest - Focus estate in the country, or something like that, so that's "neat".

image.png.50d38a6128d6c1a1c1aae8325fb33d59.png

Admittedly, the paintwork looks a bit sad here, but it was shinier when I said I'd take the car on! The DSLR doesn't paint it in a good light either. I've given the sills a "kick test" and all appears well - beyond crunchy front wings, but I'm not going to get ahead of myself.

Could I have bought something more sensible and roadworthy? Aye.

Will this need loads of work? Probably.

Will I regret this? Most fucking likely, m9.

Will I tell people 'it's a fucking Ghia?' Oh aye. Posh C-U-Next-Tuesday, aren't I? :lol:

But yet, here we are. This is a slow, slow, slow burner (and I mean sloooooooow) so don't expect many updates anytime soon. First thing to do is move the thing once the destination for sorting it out has been properly set up for its arrival. Also thank you to that man with many lamps (@LightBulbFun) for helping me sort out paperwork and suchlike, it's now in my name and on SORN, which is something, means it's my very own problem now, or something.

S432LRU - 1998 Ford Focus 1.8 Ghia Estate

^ Ghia, innit.

In Fabia news, it's going grand, for now. Fuss free motoring for once. That'll do.

La fin.

• AnnoyingPentium changed the title to AnnoyingPentium's Adventures - Oops.
55 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

For those who don't already know (although I've found it difficult to keep my mouth shut). I'm in the process of doing a big big stupid ad acquiring the former-@Flat4 Ford Focus, a 1998 1.8 Ghia estate in some sort of white. It appears to be one of the earliest - if not the earliest - Focus estate in the country, or something like that, so that's "neat".

image.png.50d38a6128d6c1a1c1aae8325fb33d59.png

Admittedly, the paintwork looks a bit sad here, but it was shinier when I said I'd take the car on! The DSLR doesn't paint it in a good light either. I've given the sills a "kick test" and all appears well - beyond crunchy front wings, but I'm not going to get ahead of myself.

Could I have bought something more sensible and roadworthy? Aye.

Will this need loads of work? Probably.

Will I regret this? Most fucking likely, m9.

Will I tell people 'it's a fucking Ghia?' Oh aye. Posh C-U-Next-Tuesday, aren't I? :lol:

But yet, here we are. This is a slow, slow, slow burner (and I mean sloooooooow) so don't expect many updates anytime soon. First thing to do is move the thing once the destination for sorting it out has been properly set up for its arrival. Also thank you to that man with many lamps (@LightBulbFun) for helping me sort out paperwork and suchlike, it's now in my name and on SORN, which is something, means it's my very own problem now, or something.

S432LRU - 1998 Ford Focus 1.8 Ghia Estate

^ Ghia, innit.

In Fabia news, it's going grand, for now. Fuss free motoring for once. That'll do.

La fin.

Dorset plate so it's done a couple of miles at some point, assuming the car's already in Scotland. Mot out in 2020 I see - you're a brave fella!

Good to hear the daily's effectively dailying.

8 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Dorset plate so it's done a couple of miles at some point, assuming the car's already in Scotland. Mot out in 2020 I see - you're a brave fella!

Yes, it's around 115k or so on the clock. Really wouldn't be worth saving, but this is Autoshite...

It's brave, I'll admit, but I fancied a challenge. :)

9 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Good to hear the daily's effectively dailying.

As always, knocked back nearly 500 miles in this week alone and its not even Wednesday yet!

2 minutes ago, Wibble said:

Wow, wasn’t expecting this! A pre-facelift mk1 indeed, must be a rare beast now. Any inner rear arches left?🙂

Very rare...

EstateRemaining.thumb.png.93484a6cb8c5af93336a83b383c29b6c.png

^ These are all the ones I know about so far. Filtered out the estate ones.

RE: rear arches; as far as I'm led to believe it's rather clean back there. Outer arch and sills seem pretty solid as well, front wings are crumbly but the metal behind them still seems pretty clean, but will investigate once I've got the car in a position to check it over properly. :)